Profile Picture

292 Y block with dual quad carter carbs stalls when trans is shifted in neutral.

Posted By Joe D 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

292 Y block with dual quad carter carbs stalls when trans is shifted...

Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago

Ok, it worked. I was worried at first reading this method that it was too complicated but sounds like you just tighten down rocker to 0 lash and then back off 1/4 turn.

How about the adaptor question?

Thanks again! 

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 38 minutes ago
It shouldn't be causing a problem as long as the perimeter is sealing properly.  However, performance will be a little better with a tapered spacer or by modifying the manifold.  I think thi is a tapered spacer, https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Holley-Edelbrock-to-Carter-WCFB-4-Barrel-Carburetor-Adapter-Plate,5551.html

Lawrenceville, GA
Joe D
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)

Ok Y blockers here is another update:

Truck is running good except on cold start. I have to crank the engine a lot. I think this is due to the fuel pump lever coming off the cam lobe. I removed the fuel pump before and bent the lever a little because it looked like it slipped off the lobe. Someone told me that its not a cam lobe but a eccentric or concentric washer on the end of the cam shaft that is put on the end of the cam shaft with a nut. Once the truck starts it runs good and no more stalling issues.

Stock 4 BBL Manifold was modified with grinder for adaptor for Edelbrock carb. Could not find a tapered adaptor.

Engine vacuum 20" Hg
Idle timing set at 9 degrees BTDC - 87 OCT
Idle set at 700 rpm.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

It is an eccentric which is bolted on the front of the cam with the other spacers and timing gear.

How long, on average between driving it?  Is it like this every time?  Does it have a choke and is it setup correctly?

Lawrenceville, GA
pintoplumber
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Here’s a picture of the eccentric.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
Joe D
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the info and the photo! Very helpful!
It's always hard to start when it's cold. Restarts when its warm or hot by just tapping key. I have been driving to work the last 2 days. Hard to start in the morning and afternoon when I'm leaving work.
Now I'm thinking its carburetion because last night I installed a fuel line pressure gage and this morning it took awhile to start. After cranking for about 10 seconds I checked the gage and it was holding 5.5 psi. I thought it was the fuel pump lever/ eccentric washer because it gave me a problem a few weeks ago. The electric choke was working fine until this morning. It did not fast idle around 1100 rpm like it did previously. I will check choke this afternoon and see why.

Thanks for your help!

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
You can rule out the fuel pump arm not being on the cam mounted eccentric as that would prove to be a problem all the time and not just when trying to start the engine.

Assuming the carburetor bowl or bowls are not draining down due a blown power valve or other leakage, then for a fresh morning startup I will depress the accelerator pedal two or three full times.  Then wait ten seconds before attempting to start the engine as this gives the gasoline time to pre-vaporize before turning the engine over.  I have an engine here with a supercharger on it and it requires no less than seven pumps of fuel for it to start effortlessly so you may have to experiment with the number of pre-pumps of gas before attempting to start the engine.  If the choke is not working properly, then you may be required to ‘feather’ the throttle until the engine gets some heat into it.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Joe D
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Ted!
I just adjusted the choke. The choke plate was not closed. The linkage seemed to be hung up a little bit maybe due to throttle linkage hitting it. She fired right up after the choke was adjusted. I will try the pre pump and wait 10 seconds method.
Thanks again, this site is a great resource for info, especially for a novice like me.
Hey, what is a power valve anyway and what symptoms would I notice with a blown one?

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Your Edelbrock doesn't have a power valve but it does have metering rods and springs which provide a similar function.  They are a means of adding additional fuel under high load or high power conditions.

With a Holley, which has a power valve, symptoms would be idle adjustment screws which don't seem to do anything, rich smelling exhaust, possibly fowling plugs, draining fuel bowls, as Ted said.
On an Edelbrock, I think that the failure mode would be simply that you don't have the power function because about the only thing that can fail is the spring and I've not yet heard of that happening.  So that would mean lean under high load or wide open throttle.

You can download the owner's manual for your carburetor from Edelbrock's website.  It is a must read, one of the best.  It goes over theory in the first part and while it's specific to Edelbrock, it applies to any carburetor so long as you understand which components effectively perform the same functions.

Lawrenceville, GA
Joe D
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Charlie, you da man!

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs

Reading This Topic

Site Meter