Profile Picture

292 Y block with dual quad carter carbs stalls when trans is shifted in neutral.

Posted By Joe D 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

292 Y block with dual quad carter carbs stalls when trans is shifted...

Author
Question Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
When engine is up to operating temp (180-195) and while driving around 50-65 mph, engine stalls when trans is placed in neutral. Seems like its starving for gas and not flooding. Does restart with foot to the floor and engine recovers and idles normal after a minute or so. Engine runs great otherwise and this only happens when engine is 180 degrees or higher 195.  Vapor Lock in carbs due to ethanol maybe?

Dual Quads (Carter) are off of a 1957 T -Bird I was told.

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
KULTULZ
This post has been flagged as an answer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Try this for gasoline-

https://www.pure-gas.org/

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

"Steel gaskets?  You sure?"

It must be those combination fiber/steel mesh like gaskets.    

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

"Do they sell stock material that you can cut yourself. Should I make these as thick as possible to fit under hood? Maybe 1, 2, or 3". I do have room."

Yes, they sell sheet stock if you want to make your own. Usually, you want just 1/4" as raising the spacer height may play with plenum volume.

Here is a set of store bought - https://www.dashman.net/product.html?id=207

Just isolate the problem before throwing money at it. I don't want you to get mad at me.

Did you say you have an inline filter before the mechanical pump? What micron size?

What is the application, a pickup with a "292"?

kevink1955
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Did anyone pick this up from the first post
"Does restart with foot to the floor and engine recovers and idles normal after a minute or so"

It's not starving for fuel, it's flooding most likely from fuel boiling in the bowls. insulated carb spacers may help.
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

That is a sharp looking pickup and engine detail.

You have a braided fuel supply hose running awfully close to the upper radiator hose/ heater outlet. That may be the source of heat ingestion. How high does the coolant temp go when this happens?

The phenolic spacer(s) also isolate engine heat so as to keep the fuel cooler so as to provide a denser fuel mixture.

Also was suggested a possible vacuum leak. Do you have a fuel pressure/vacuum test gauge?

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

At the minimum, reinstall those screens. You have no particulate protection as the 10 micron inline filter @ the tank acts as a sock filter (as on later applications) and only catches boulders and JAP midget submarines (but it is useful).

When it shut down, did you check for spark also? The condensers coming through now are junk. Once they cool a little, the engine will fire right up.

Also on a possible vacuum leak. When this occurs it will lean out the fuel mixture at that point.

oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
DryLakesRacer (10/28/2018)
JoeD, this may seem a little primative and others will probably chime in. To check which distributor you have just take off the cap and try to turn the rotor. If it will not move in either direction it's a Loadmatic. If it will move in one direction about 10-12* it is a centrifugal, which is 57-up. Also stick a long enough hose on the distributor can filling and suck on it to see if the plate moves, if it does that will prove your vacuum can is working. If it will stay moved with your tongue tip over the end of the hose the can is good.
Your truck is a 1960. I cannot believe your dist is a loadmatic.
 As Ted stated the Merc WCFB's were used with loadmatics in 55-56 and were not compatible with the 57-up distributors that's why I first went to the GM carbs because they were. 
There were many of the guys I knew back in the 60's who ran their distributor vacuum off manifold and not ported and made them work. The engine would always idle faster and the just turned them down. Others ran no vacuum and set the advancing springs as light as possible and kept total advance around 34-37 degrees and just lived where initial advance showed on the balencer. We were just kids, what did we know anyway.
We all have ideas that seem to work. Eventho I'm a California guy I've met Ted and watched him do dyno pulls (thanks to Karol Miller) and he has done more tests and ran every combination known to man on a Y-Block and I take his word as gospel. He and so many others on this site have helped me iron out problems which have never happened to me before and cannot thank them enough.
You will figure this out.

Take the Cap off. If U can see Springs its a Loadomatic. No Springs visible makes it a Dual Advance 57+ Distributor.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

PART II

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5f33341d-eac5-49bc-b90b-fb8c.jpg

The LOM was a system using modulated  MANIFOLD VACUUM. This system (manifold vacuum use) has it's drawbacks and FORD addressed those with the 56 DUAL PORT DIAPHRAM  vacuum advance.

What is needed now is positive ID of components.

As for TED EATON, he is the man, plain and simple.

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Joe D  Posted-

"Ethanol Free gasoline search in Philly area - You have to go to Reading area (1 1/2 Hr. from me) to find it out of a pump or by it in a 5 gallon can (95 octane) for around $50. You can get higher octane racing fuel also VP Racing 100,109,110."

Just a thought. If you are in the Philly area, ethanol free gasoline is also usually sold in marinas and may not be listed in the fuel reference site. Common areas to find are agricultural regions, small airports and marinas

Waiting for more definite engine assembly details/photos..

Reading This Topic

Site Meter