Profile Picture

292 Y block with dual quad carter carbs stalls when trans is shifted in neutral.

Posted By Joe D 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

292 Y block with dual quad carter carbs stalls when trans is shifted...

Author
Question Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
When engine is up to operating temp (180-195) and while driving around 50-65 mph, engine stalls when trans is placed in neutral. Seems like its starving for gas and not flooding. Does restart with foot to the floor and engine recovers and idles normal after a minute or so. Engine runs great otherwise and this only happens when engine is 180 degrees or higher 195.  Vapor Lock in carbs due to ethanol maybe?

Dual Quads (Carter) are off of a 1957 T -Bird I was told.

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
Sandbird
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
'57 TBirds came with a pair of Holley carbs and had aluminum spacers sandwiched in between a pair gaskets under each carb used as insulators. The Holley carbs were special for the dual carb setup. Might be a heat problem if you don't have the insulators and/or your Carters may be a mismatch.
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
"Vapor Lock in carbs due to ethanol maybe?"

When it does this, pull over and check for accelerator pump shot and/or spark.

Joe D
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)

How would I check the accelerator pump? It does restart so I assume the ignition is ok.

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

"How would I check the accelerator pump? It does restart so I assume the ignition is ok"

No.1 - Never a$$-u-me anything. I thought marriage would be a good idea and got tricked on that one.

To check the fuel, remove the ACL and operate the throttle linkage while looking for a fuel shot down the throat of the carb. If no shot, most likely an empty fuel bowl due to heat soak/boiling of fuel. You may also have bad ignition parts (condenser) that shuts the car down with heat.

If no fuel, you will have to isolate the carbs with phenolic carb spacers and maybe insulate the fuel line from pump to carb.

Also verify pump pressure/volume delivery and any possible air leaks in the fuel line from tank to pump.

It's usually ethanol blended fuel as at temp it experiences blend separation and is more prone to evaporation due to a lower boiling point.

Joe D
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

OK I'll check next time it stalls to see if fuel bowl is dry.
I have Pertronix electronic points. do you think they could be the cause?

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
Joe D
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I forgot to mention that I did try insulating the fuel lines all the way to the carbs and I installed a high flow cartridge type fuel filter back by the fuel tank.

It does look like there are spacers under the carbs that are about 1/2" thick.

Thanks for all your help

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
Joe D
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

PERTRONIX-
IGNITOR I has given problems
IGNITOR II is a better option.

Check both IGN and FUEL to CYA.

Here is a film showing fuel percolation-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cadNfSNi_Oc

The spacers you see are most likely OEM aluminum, and will conduct engine heat to the carb fuel bowls. You need phenolic (plastic) spacers to cut down on the heat transfer.

Remember, this may also be vapor lock and/or blend separation on the suction side of the pump (tank to pump) also. If the rubber fuel lines are not ethanol rated, they can break down inside and cause a flow restriction too. Just a reminder.

Lord Gaga
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Is there a 'sock' filter on the fuel pickup in your gas tank? Have you checked the fuel pump pressure and volume?

"FREE SAMPLE"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter