Profile Picture

292 Y block with dual quad carter carbs stalls when trans is shifted in neutral.

Posted By Joe D 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

292 Y block with dual quad carter carbs stalls when trans is shifted...

Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
I test fitted the stock manifold. it was hitting the oil fill/ breather tube by the thermostat location. Ground down a little of the cast iron to clear it. 

I guess the Edel manifold hit the fins on the valley pan thats why they ground them down.

Kultulz,

Is the valley ok without a plenum like you showed in the photo?

Thank,

Joe D

Your CAST ALUM VALLEY PAN should work fine under the 4V ECZ-B intake manifold.

The problem(s) will be if it fits under the FORD 8V intake properly. If it hits the plenum bottom in any way, it may not seal properly and also cause heat damage.

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
I’m in agreement with you in putting a single four intake on the engine and determining what is going on with the carbs if indeed it is a carb issue.  Besides using your two existing carbs on the engine, I’ll suggest putting a carb adapter on the intake and using some kind of known ‘good’ late model carb to get a base line.

It would be nice to know exactly what application your two WCFB carbs came from.  In looking at the pictures in detail, I don’t see the spark advance control valve on the front of the carb which tends to point me to your carb(s) coming from an early Mopar application possibly.

You mention that this stalling issue is something that has showed up since purchasing the vehicle.  If it ran good originally without the stalling issue, then something has obviously changed.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Joe D
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Ted,
I'm getting an adaptor to try a Edelbrock or Holly carb. that I know works, on a single carb manifold. I'm thinking by now that its carburetion but who knows! I can even try one Carter at a time and that may tell us something as well.
We will see.
The truck ran good for two years with no stalling. It started in the spring (2019) and seemed to get worse during the summer months as temperatures rose.
I didn't change anything on the truck in the time before the stalling started.

I'm still not giving up on the Edelbrock manifold with the dual quad Carters since I spent money to have the carbs. rebuilt and I think they are old school cool.
I'll keep you guys updated. I really appreciate all the help!

Thanks,
Joe D (The Frig)

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
Sandbird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Joe D
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I just remembered worn throttle shafts on the carburetors can cause idle problems.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I just remembered worn throttle shafts on the carburetors can cause idle problems.

No it wasn't but a good point.

The vacuum gauge reads a steady 14HG (he reports) so it indicates no vacuum leak, only faulty IGN TIMING (again - IMO)

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1bee69e9-c9fa-496f-8047-e6f8.png

Joe D
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)

Ok Y blockers,
I installed a manifold (1957 I was told above), carb adaptor plate and a single 4 bbl. carb. I did not have the chance to test drive but started it up yesterday.

It idled really smooth and I was able to turn the idle all the way down and it wasn't even warmed up yet!

I still have to hook up the electric choke and test drive to make sure this stalling issue is solved once and for all! Of course its freakin snowing in Philly and supposed to get worse this weekend. Oh well spring is just around the corner.

Updates will follow. Who thinks the stalling issue was resolved by removing the dual quad Carters?

Joe D (The Frig)

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
The iron manifold you have provided pictures of is not 1957.

I don't know if the carbs or intake were causing the problem but they were clearly the cause of a problem if it idles properly now.  You'll find out.

Lawrenceville, GA
Joe D
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ac26f6a0-b65a-4343-9534-a3f6.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8c154633-2de6-484f-b35f-3787.jpg
Thanks Charlie! Someone had said it was a 1957 E code manifold.
I agree it seemed to idle really sweet.

Joe D

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
E-code is 2x4s.  A '57 single 4 does not require an adapter for a modern carb.

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Joe D (1/18/2019)
Thanks Charlie! Someone had said it was a 1957 E code manifold.
I agree it seemed to idle really sweet.
Joe D

Looks like a ECZ-A intake manifold which would be 1956.  The ’55 manifolds had the automatic choke on the right side of the manifold while the ’56 manifolds had the automatic choke moved to the carburetor.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter