Profile Picture

6 Volt starting troubles

Posted By MIT3 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
The restauration of my 1955 F100 239 Y block is now to 99% completed. I tried to keep al original, 6V system, engine, nearly everthing. Actually I have problems with startin rotaion. The rotations are so slow that the engine do not starts. I us a new 98Ah 6V battery, new cables. First I thought the old starter is not working well, so I fixed today a new one. Unfortunately the same low rotation like the old starter does. I installed a cable from battery + to the starter, noanges.

The battery fall at starting down to 4V. So I think the new battery is bad or the secound reason could be: (and this is my question)

I reused the 272 (ECG) block and 239 (EBV) heads. Could it be, that the higher compression and the bigger pistin rings have to many turning torque? (new Pistion rings and valve springs)

Best regards
Harald

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 32 minutes ago
You said you have new cables, but are they the #1 AWG size cables required for 6 volt systems, or they common replacement #6 AWG commonly used on 12 volt cars and readily available in local parts stores?  The #6 cables are too small for six volt starting systems.  Too much voltage drop.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
MIT3
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)Normally aspirated (34 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Self made harness with the correct stock diameter.
tomfiii
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Do the cables or starter get hot?
57RancheroJim
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Is this the first time trying to start a new rebuilt engine?
2721955meteor
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
if this is the first start,mix a bit of oil in ajar with gas,1part oil 3parts gas,should make it easier to spin .be sure  you are Not using a deep sycle battery. good battery fully charged ,correct cables,correct 6volt starter should spin and start . while back had a 55 bird 6volt worked well even on new rebuild.6volt starter looks the same as a 12volt but is different inside
NoShortcuts
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
MIT3.  In your initial posting, in the last sentence of the first paragraph, you said . . .
Unfortunately the same low rotation like the old starter does. I installed a cable from battery + to the starter, noanges.

With a Ford 6 volt set-up, isn't the chassis hooked-up as positive ground?  You indicated that you installed a cable from the battery + to the starter.
That said, I don't understand what you meant by 'noanges'.

Not much experience with 6 volt systems, but that jumped out at me . . . 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
This should help- https://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/ic120434.htm

You have to adjust for a 6V System (Shop Manual)

MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
6volt is positive ground. Also make sure your ground connections are clean to bare metal under them. Paint is a insulator.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
kevink1955
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
He may be saying that he ran a cable from + (really ground in a pos ground system) to the starter mounting bolt.

With the starter already replaced but not confirmed that it is the proper 6V starter and not a 12 V look alike, I would be looking for hot cables and connections.

If no hot spots are found suspect the battery

Reading This Topic

Site Meter