Profile Picture

Trouble finding an air filter

Posted By 56_Fairlane 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
That's what I need but unfortunately they have a $14 minimum shipping charge. I think I looked around before and was discouraged at the high cost of shipping something so cheap so I gave up on it.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
paul2748
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The TBird parts people have the insulator for the pipe.  CASCO has it in their catalog - part # 9865.  Different one for a  56 and a 57

56_Fairlane (9/5/2018)
The choke has a small pipe that gets heat supplied from an exhaust passage in the intake manifold. I replaced the pipe that ran inside the manifold because it was rotted. There seems to be plenty of heat getting to the choke. The only thing is I don't have any heat resistant cloth wrapping the pipe that runs from the outside of the manifold to the choke housing. I can't find any the length I need which is only a few inches total. I don't think the pipe loses much of the heat without it.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

56_Fairlane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

The choke has a small pipe that gets heat supplied from an exhaust passage in the intake manifold. I replaced the pipe that ran inside the manifold because it was rotted. There seems to be plenty of heat getting to the choke. The only thing is I don't have any heat resistant cloth wrapping the pipe that runs from the outside of the manifold to the choke housing. I can't find any the length I need which is only a few inches total. I don't think the pipe loses much of the heat without it.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
DJ: I'm not any expert on carbs, but re the Autolite. According to literature I have here, which originated from the former Pony Carburetors in N.Y. state, the choke issues you are having may be caused by the following; Dirt has entered the choke housing & is causing it to act up. The 1.08 series one I have here, from the factory, received it's choke operation air thru a tube from inside the main filter element, to ensure dirt didn't get into the mechanism. Also, on some models of that carb, they were  in OEM installations, fitted near a hot side heater hose attached near the choke mechanism to help ensure it opened promply. I've never seen that, but it might be a case of not enough heat?  And the other day I saw one being used with an electric choke.. And a further note on dirt. Pony Carbs used to rebuilt & tune those carbs for Mustangs etc. Their Warranty was void if you didn't use a "new" gas filter when installing the carb..      

Paul
56_Fairlane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

57RancheroJim (9/4/2018)
56_Fairlane (9/3/2018)
57RancheroJim (9/3/2018)
That must be a Lincoln or Merc air cleaner, the snorkle looks larger then a 57 ford. My 57 air filer is 9" OD and is 3 1/2" tall.

I measured my snorkel and it's 9" wide. What could my ACL be actually from?

My first guess seeing the larger snorkle was it must be from a larger engine like an FE, but I didn't see anything listed for a Ford. Tbird, Merc, Edsel, Lincoln from 57-64 that matched the size you need, Baffling???.
Check the WIX 42041 for Chrysler products, seem close to the size you need?

I wonder if it's thr same one I have that's for a Desoto? I'll have to compare the NAPA number I have.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
56_Fairlane (9/3/2018)

Lincoln?

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

57RancheroJim
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

56_Fairlane (9/3/2018)
57RancheroJim (9/3/2018)
That must be a Lincoln or Merc air cleaner, the snorkle looks larger then a 57 ford. My 57 air filer is 9" OD and is 3 1/2" tall.

My first guess seeing the larger snorkle was it must be from a larger engine like an FE, but I didn't see anything listed for a Ford. Tbird, Merc, Edsel, Lincoln from 57-64 that matched the size you need, Baffling???.
Check the WIX 42041 for Chrysler products, seem close to the size you need?
PF Arcand
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

First, this might not be helpful, but that housing is not any 1957 Ford air cleaner that I've seen.. Mercury ??
     N.B.-  For info, I've had a problem getting a correct filter for my '57 Air cleaner. The one listed by the largest aftermarket parts outfit in our area, is about  5/16" to high, so the lid does not fit down properly.. Good luck

Paul
56_Fairlane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

57RancheroJim (9/3/2018)
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/588716b1-7221-4609-8a8c-bba0.jpg

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
56_Fairlane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Nothing speaks more than experience. The Autolite works OK but has a tendency to idle high. It seems like the throttle shaft sticks a little and doesn't return all the way to the end. The choke coil also seems weak and doesn't seem to either open or close the choke plate.It also has a slight flat spot / sputter when trying to accelerate, more so when cold. I replaced the pump diaphragm and it squirts nicely down the bores.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter