Profile Picture

Trouble finding an air filter

Posted By 56_Fairlane 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I bought this air cleaner so I could use it on my 56 Fairlane after changing the manifold and carb. The air cleaner is supposedly from a 57-59 Ford or Mercury or maybe a Lincoln. It fits the Autolite 4100 carb perfectly. The problem is I can't find a filter for it. The filter I think I need should probably be:Top - 10.39" O.D., 7.28" I.D- Bottom - 9.78" O.D, 7.28" I.D- possibly 3.22" tall. The ones I can find fit but are too short and basically just hangs from the top and leaves nearly an inch gap from the bottom of the air clearer.
I'm stumped. It's a Ford product. It shouldn't be that hard to find. Not even a Ford catalog shows a filter that will fit. The closest one I found is from a Desoto. It fits but not perfectly as you can see in the top photo. The last photo shows the depth of the inside of the air cleaner. These are photos when I had the manifold removed from the engine to replace a rotted choke tube.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/62f3be53-e495-4366-89a1-b7fe.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/06c82694-5f40-4657-8a4d-49b6.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9c62971a-0e91-488a-a986-e0f6.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0814827b-6fd9-42b8-bcd9-8667.jpg

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post Trouble finding an air filter By 56_Fairlane ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Don’t know if it’s just me, but I only get the third picture. One and... By miker ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Sorry, I don't know why you're not able to see them Miker. I can see... By 56_Fairlane ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I got them now, don’t know why two were just a grey box before. It’s... By miker ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I was playing around with air cleaner today and I realized the Desoto... By 56_Fairlane ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I couldn’t see the first three pictures either. Fourth picture was... By Ted ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Yes, I had posted a thread there but had no luck either. I thought... By 56_Fairlane ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Ted, I looked at the thread about the converted oil bath air cleaner... By 56_Fairlane ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post The original air filter for a 57 has a larger OD on the top to seal... By 57RancheroJim ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I haven't found any that were the correct height that the OD would... By 56_Fairlane ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]56_Fairlane (9/2/2018)[/b][hr] I haven't found any that... By oldcarmark ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post What the OP has is a 56 FORD 292/312 that he used a 57 ECZ-B 4V intake... By KULTULZ ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post That must be a Lincoln or Merc air cleaner, the snorkle looks larger... By 57RancheroJim ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]57RancheroJim (9/3/2018)[/b][hr] That must be a Lincoln... By 56_Fairlane ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]56_Fairlane (9/3/2018)[/b][hr] [quote][b]57RancheroJim... By 57RancheroJim ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]57RancheroJim (9/4/2018)[/b][hr] [quote][b]56_Fairlane... By 56_Fairlane ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]56_Fairlane (9/3/2018)[/b][hr]I measured my snorkel and it's... By Ted ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I have a Ford Ready Reference Catalog from 1966 and there isn't... By 56_Fairlane ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]56_Fairlane (9/3/2018)[/b][hr] I have a Ford Ready... By oldcarmark ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Yes. Oldcarmark, I also checked the Wix site and cross referenced lots... By 56_Fairlane ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post If You are changing the Carb to the Autolite You must change the... By oldcarmark ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post I have a 57 or later distributor in it now. I guess I made it sound... By 56_Fairlane ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post OK That's good. Hard to find right now. If You have already changed... By oldcarmark ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post Nothing speaks more than experience. The Autolite works OK but has a... By 56_Fairlane ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post First, this might not be helpful, but that housing is not any 1957... By PF Arcand ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post DJ: I'm not any expert on carbs, but re the Autolite. According to... By PF Arcand ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post The choke has a small pipe that gets heat supplied from an exhaust... By 56_Fairlane ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post The TBird parts people have the insulator for the pipe. CASCO has it... By paul2748 ( 6 Years Ago )
Forum Post That's what I need but unfortunately they have a $14 minimum shipping... By 56_Fairlane ( 6 Years Ago )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter