Profile Picture

Trouble finding an air filter

Posted By 56_Fairlane 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I bought this air cleaner so I could use it on my 56 Fairlane after changing the manifold and carb. The air cleaner is supposedly from a 57-59 Ford or Mercury or maybe a Lincoln. It fits the Autolite 4100 carb perfectly. The problem is I can't find a filter for it. The filter I think I need should probably be:Top - 10.39" O.D., 7.28" I.D- Bottom - 9.78" O.D, 7.28" I.D- possibly 3.22" tall. The ones I can find fit but are too short and basically just hangs from the top and leaves nearly an inch gap from the bottom of the air clearer.
I'm stumped. It's a Ford product. It shouldn't be that hard to find. Not even a Ford catalog shows a filter that will fit. The closest one I found is from a Desoto. It fits but not perfectly as you can see in the top photo. The last photo shows the depth of the inside of the air cleaner. These are photos when I had the manifold removed from the engine to replace a rotted choke tube.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/62f3be53-e495-4366-89a1-b7fe.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/06c82694-5f40-4657-8a4d-49b6.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9c62971a-0e91-488a-a986-e0f6.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0814827b-6fd9-42b8-bcd9-8667.jpg

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Don’t know if it’s just me, but I only get the third picture.  One and two are blank. 

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
56_Fairlane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Sorry, I don't know why you're not able to see them Miker. I can see them but then I posted them. Maybe if anyone else has issues, I'll try to repost them. There are four photos, Which one are you seeing?

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I got them now, don’t know why two were just a grey box before. It’s hard to tell from those photos, but can you do a plate in the bottom and just fit a standard filter of some sort? Basically hiding a filter inside the housing. I’ve done that on several occasions adapting air cleaners I liked to some it did fit. I like that air cleaner, one of those subtle touches only a few will notice.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
56_Fairlane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I was playing around with air cleaner today and I realized the Desoto filter wasn't really sealing at the bottom inside of the air cleaner. I managed to get the top of the filter to fit under the lip of the top opening of the air cleaner and the lid fits down snug when I tighten down the nut. It's not the most ideal way I wanted to make a filter work but it will do for now. I'd still like find the correct filter without micky-mousing something to fit.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
I couldn’t see the first three pictures either.  Fourth picture was fine.  The first three were taking a long time to load.  In looking at the picture properties on those particular pictures, I found that they were linked from the Ford Barn site.  I’ve simply downloaded those pictures to the YBF site and reinserted them into the original ‘linked’ locations to make them more YBF site friendly.

Here’s the link to a thread posted last year on converting the ‘55/56 4V oil bath air cleaner to work with a modern carb and using a pair of stacked paper elements.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic131104.aspx 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

56_Fairlane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Yes, I had posted a thread there but had no luck either. I thought simply making copies of those photos and inserting them in the thread here would work. I guess itt only made it harder for everyone to see them.
I'll see if I can edit the post with the actual photos.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
56_Fairlane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted, I looked at the thread about the converted oil bath air cleaner but my original 56 air cleaner won't fit the 57 carb I have. I would have used it in its original configuration if it had fit.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
57RancheroJim
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
The original air filter for a 57 has a larger OD on the top to seal between the body and lid, the replacement ones they make today don't, they are the same diameter on the top and bottom. They are the correct height. I've tried both WIX and FRAM..
56_Fairlane
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I haven't found any that were the correct height that the OD would fit. The ones with the right OD or an OD that fit were always too short except this Desoto filter.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter