Profile Picture

Pissed Off ,1956 f100 3 speed V

Posted By jw375 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 days ago
Just some thoughts from my experience. If the truck is close to stock, it’s probably got a Dana 44 rear, and about a 4:11 ratio. A 3 speed auto is going to need less gear, and Dana’s aren’t cheap to change ratios on. Good unit, I’ve still got the truck rear axle in my bird (it had been changed when I got it). So now you’re looking at that, or changing to a 9” rear where you can change out the pumpkin, and get readily available parts. Might just be a better idea to look at an AOD at that point and leave the rear end as is. Assuming it’s good. Since you’re willing to consider a 350, take a look at the 200R4’s. I know that’s heresy here, but they’re good trans when properly built, with good ratios. Either way, I think you’re dealing with a mount crossmember issue, but that’s fairly straight forward in a truck.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
jw375
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Adding a Cross  member does not seem to be a big deal, The gearing yes that is a question..So you think 
the 200r over trans is the ticket , I do not want to change this truck that much,  The problem with this is it has wide tires , & the 3 on the tree in town making a tight corner , and arm strong sear feels a bit like Mr toads wild ride..   After buying the truck the 3 on the tree is fun to shift gearing is good out in the country or freeway .. but in town its a handful ..I looking into your input.

Thanks 
62bigwindow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Little off topic but, what are your plans for the 3 speed? I'd be interested in it.

Durham Missouri
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
No, I’d probably look at the AOD first. Depending on price and ratios available, I just wouldn’t write off a 2004R. Based on your last comment, is it really an auto you want, or a syncro on first gear for around town driving? A T-5 would probably be cheaper and easier. I’m sure there’s guys here who have done that in a truck.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
1960fordf350
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Lot's of good opinions about the tranny issue.   But your comment about steering in town.   Yep Armstrong can be a pain.  My truck has manual steering and brakes.   I have no issues steering my truck,  but it has stock width tires.  The only time it's tough is if I'm standing still.    There are so many little things that can be affecting your turns.   Yes,  wide tires.    Bad kingpins,  loose drag link,  loose steering box,  etc.   Just worn out springs will make it squirrelly.  Have you checked the U-Bolts?      Do your springs have grease fittings in the ends?   Mine do.    I grease them all at least twice a year.   

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2e6780b3-6e07-4836-8bf9-c3da.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Yep, narrower, more stock like tires up front, proper inflation and lubricated, good condition linkage make them pretty easy to steer, for what they are.  I'm only 130 lbs and have no problem at all using it as a daily driver, in that respect.

Lawrenceville, GA
jw375
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)

I'm not sure They are like hens teeth too ... The problem came from a bad seal , the trans shifts great over drive works good .. I've seen
them listed for sale for 500 alone .. I'm not sure , I am kinda thinking of keeping the old trans & over drive ..Not sure
Bob Gardner
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
My '56 truck had a 3 speed overdrive transmission in it when I bought it.  My wife wouldn't even consider learning to drive the 3 on the tree.  So during the rebuild I swaped out the 3 speed for a T-5 floor shifted transmission.  I sent my bellhousing to Mummert for modification and also bought the clutch, flywheel, and assorted pieces from John as well.  The transmission I bought new from Summit Racing (FMS-M-7003-Z).  You do have to shorten the input shaft so it won't bottom out in the crankshaft.  Carefully measuring and a cutoff wheel does the trick.   You will also need to cut a hole in the floor for the shifter and modify the drive shaft for the new transmission and shorter lenght.

My truck had a power assist on the steering.  It was leaking badly and was in need of a rebuild.  I elected to remove it and replace the steering box with a Toyota conversion.  Midfity sells all the parts and pieces needed to make this swap.  My wife doesn't have any trouble driving the truck.  Even with the wide tires and small diameter steering wheel.
jw375
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

I ran across a ford o matic  that came out of a 56 truck which I have,

1) has anyone used lokar shift cable to a 3 on the tree
column ,     I like the looks of stock column ,   
since this trans came out of a 56 it would not be tearing up the history , much also the ad says the  ford o matic needs rebuilt ..

2) Anyone got a concept of cost for  rebuilding it ,
 I read on line its a planetary  transmission ,  seems like a may cost a bit if gears ,and main shaft are damaged??
I see you can get rebuild parts ..   
3) you can get a power rack, but mid fifty , toyota box does not work with 3 on the tree they say .. I am all for history & daly use of course.. 
4) Also what is the correct block color for these guys mine is red .. 292 y block 
Lou
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I had 2 57 Ford-0-matics completely rebuilt about (with converters) about 4 years ago.Usual price was $900.00 but they charged me $1500.00 for both, I R&R them.  

Reading This Topic

Site Meter