Pissed Off ,1956 f100 3 speed V

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic137623.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By jw375 - 6 Years Ago
good stuff 
By Lou - 6 Years Ago
How is adapting a  Y-block to a C-4 preserving history.? Rebuild the Ford-o, with a changed valve body to start in first gear, about the same cost as converting to a C-4 and just as good.

By 2721955meteor - 6 Years Ago
k ,just do a rebuild and set up throttle pressure on the plus side,with original throttle linkage it will start in1 with good throttle pressure every time. plus 56 truck auto has a trans cooler. should be lots of truck ford autos out there if you are concerting to a auto 57 was a better if you can find1
By ian57tbird - 6 Years Ago
C4's have a weight advantage. Did they ever make a Fordomatic with an aluminium case?
By aussiebill - 6 Years Ago
.how would a no body like you know how much the C4 adaptor should cost, you make the kit , them sell it for free, that sounds good
By FORD DEARBORN - 6 Years Ago
There are many folks who have adapted C4's to Y-blocks along with many other kinds and types of transmissions. You have only so far, discovered one way and tere are many ways to "skin a car."  Swearing, cussing and using profanity to describe other people will only discourage a helping hand.
By Cliff - 6 Years Ago
Forget the C-4, the best way to get a 3 speed automatic is to put in a cruise o matic, it bolts in with all factory parts and is cheap, look at the early 60s trucks that's what they have.
By jw375 - 6 Years Ago
good stuff
By PF Arcand - 6 Years Ago
I appreciate that a C-4 conversion isn't cheap, but there is a fair amount of pieces in the kit, not just a bellhousing.. And if your Fordomatic is still in good order, it really isn't that bad a drive. For one thing many consider it a 2 spd like a Powerglide, which it's not, it's a 3 spd with manual engagement of 1st gear (or full throttle kickdown is also available)  Further, when 1st is manually engaged, you can snap it into Drive at over 20 mph & then back into 1st which will lock it in 2nd until you release it, although it's best to kick it back into Drive before decelerating back down below 20 mph to avoid a bang down into low again.. ( Note, I'm told the above may not apply to 1959 or later(?) Fordomatics)..
In any case, I'm not sure why you would end up changing & adapting both the engine & transmission in your truck to avoid possibly using the C-4 kit..       
By MoonShadow - 6 Years Ago
All depends on what you are doing with the vehicle. I ran my FordOMatic for years with no problems. Adjusting the linkage correctly to get the first gear from a dead stop is a bit difficult but once set it works like a charm. Foot to the floor from a stop will start in first gear, a true 3 speed. One thing though is the springs on the bellcrank. Spring tension is important to correct operation so if you don't have the two original springs you need to get them. I don't know about aftermarket replacements, I haven't tried any.

Since my engine is modified and I wanted to run a lower, 4:11, gear ratio I switched to an AOD. Used the Bendtsens setup over 10 years ago and have been happy with it. The adapters are usually a bit expensive since they don't sell that many compared to a scrub(gm).
By miker - 6 Years Ago
Just some thoughts from my experience. If the truck is close to stock, it’s probably got a Dana 44 rear, and about a 4:11 ratio. A 3 speed auto is going to need less gear, and Dana’s aren’t cheap to change ratios on. Good unit, I’ve still got the truck rear axle in my bird (it had been changed when I got it). So now you’re looking at that, or changing to a 9” rear where you can change out the pumpkin, and get readily available parts. Might just be a better idea to look at an AOD at that point and leave the rear end as is. Assuming it’s good. Since you’re willing to consider a 350, take a look at the 200R4’s. I know that’s heresy here, but they’re good trans when properly built, with good ratios. Either way, I think you’re dealing with a mount crossmember issue, but that’s fairly straight forward in a truck.
By jw375 - 6 Years Ago
Adding a Cross  member does not seem to be a big deal, The gearing yes that is a question..So you think 
the 200r over trans is the ticket , I do not want to change this truck that much,  The problem with this is it has wide tires , & the 3 on the tree in town making a tight corner , and arm strong sear feels a bit like Mr toads wild ride..   After buying the truck the 3 on the tree is fun to shift gearing is good out in the country or freeway .. but in town its a handful ..I looking into your input.

Thanks 
By 62bigwindow - 6 Years Ago
Little off topic but, what are your plans for the 3 speed? I'd be interested in it.
By miker - 6 Years Ago
No, I’d probably look at the AOD first. Depending on price and ratios available, I just wouldn’t write off a 2004R. Based on your last comment, is it really an auto you want, or a syncro on first gear for around town driving? A T-5 would probably be cheaper and easier. I’m sure there’s guys here who have done that in a truck.
By 1960fordf350 - 6 Years Ago
Lot's of good opinions about the tranny issue.   But your comment about steering in town.   Yep Armstrong can be a pain.  My truck has manual steering and brakes.   I have no issues steering my truck,  but it has stock width tires.  The only time it's tough is if I'm standing still.    There are so many little things that can be affecting your turns.   Yes,  wide tires.    Bad kingpins,  loose drag link,  loose steering box,  etc.   Just worn out springs will make it squirrelly.  Have you checked the U-Bolts?      Do your springs have grease fittings in the ends?   Mine do.    I grease them all at least twice a year.   
By charliemccraney - 6 Years Ago
Yep, narrower, more stock like tires up front, proper inflation and lubricated, good condition linkage make them pretty easy to steer, for what they are.  I'm only 130 lbs and have no problem at all using it as a daily driver, in that respect.
By jw375 - 6 Years Ago
I'm not sure They are like hens teeth too ... The problem came from a bad seal , the trans shifts great over drive works good .. I've seen
them listed for sale for 500 alone .. I'm not sure , I am kinda thinking of keeping the old trans & over drive ..Not sure
By Bob Gardner - 6 Years Ago
My '56 truck had a 3 speed overdrive transmission in it when I bought it.  My wife wouldn't even consider learning to drive the 3 on the tree.  So during the rebuild I swaped out the 3 speed for a T-5 floor shifted transmission.  I sent my bellhousing to Mummert for modification and also bought the clutch, flywheel, and assorted pieces from John as well.  The transmission I bought new from Summit Racing (FMS-M-7003-Z).  You do have to shorten the input shaft so it won't bottom out in the crankshaft.  Carefully measuring and a cutoff wheel does the trick.   You will also need to cut a hole in the floor for the shifter and modify the drive shaft for the new transmission and shorter lenght.

My truck had a power assist on the steering.  It was leaking badly and was in need of a rebuild.  I elected to remove it and replace the steering box with a Toyota conversion.  Midfity sells all the parts and pieces needed to make this swap.  My wife doesn't have any trouble driving the truck.  Even with the wide tires and small diameter steering wheel.
By jw375 - 6 Years Ago
I ran across a ford o matic  that came out of a 56 truck which I have,

1) has anyone used lokar shift cable to a 3 on the tree
column ,     I like the looks of stock column ,   
since this trans came out of a 56 it would not be tearing up the history , much also the ad says the  ford o matic needs rebuilt ..

2) Anyone got a concept of cost for  rebuilding it ,
 I read on line its a planetary  transmission ,  seems like a may cost a bit if gears ,and main shaft are damaged??
I see you can get rebuild parts ..   
3) you can get a power rack, but mid fifty , toyota box does not work with 3 on the tree they say .. I am all for history & daly use of course.. 
4) Also what is the correct block color for these guys mine is red .. 292 y block 
By Lou - 6 Years Ago
I had 2 57 Ford-0-matics completely rebuilt about (with converters) about 4 years ago.Usual price was $900.00 but they charged me $1500.00 for both, I R&R them.  
By miker - 6 Years Ago
Might go have a look at the fine print in the Toyota box. For some reason I think it somehow interfered with the clutch linkage, which would not be an issue if you put the ford-o in. Foggy memory is common at my age, so ask.

You can probably rig up something with the manual column, but I don’t know how the Ford-o will like not having detents in the column. The street rod guys sell indicator lights that are programmable. Switch mounts to the trans, and the black box gets programmed for each gear positions. I’ve wired a couple for my buddies, they’re pretty simple.
By jw375 - 6 Years Ago
Question for the day , 3 speed Ford/Cruse o MATIC ,  Found  C1AF 700  year 1963  Bolt up ,has the 4 Bolt at trans , to aluminum bell housing ..  I have seen on Line 1963 is at the limit??

I have Y block , 1956 f100,  Will it Bolt up 
I had 3 on the tree.. 

This would be great to know .. 

By charliemccraney - 6 Years Ago
The bellhousing to engine bolt pattern is the same for all Ford Y-Blocks.  So all Ford Y-block transmissions and bellhousings will bolt up to any other Ford Y-Block.  The mounting pattern to the transmission, however, is not universal so you do need the matching bellhousing for the transmission.
By jw375 - 6 Years Ago
Finding a trans  ford o-    or  cruse   hard to find ...   in general Not around .. Like hens teeth.. 
By MoonShadow - 6 Years Ago
Be careful some of the later ones had an aluminum case and bell housing. Those are actually 2 speed only. The one you want will have a cast case around the main transmission section.
By Bob Gardner - 6 Years Ago
The Toyota steering conversion can be made to work with the 3 on the tree steering column.  It will require some re-engineering of the column, a weld in Borgenson joint, and a bunch of measuring to get it right the first time.  Becuase you have to modify and weld the stock column, it makes their conversion kit not a bolt in.  Which is why Midfifty says it won't work.  
By jw375 - 6 Years Ago
Ok I Give up , I'm going to Go with Flat -O   Bell House Adp. For  c 4 , we will check the rear end gearing prior to..  

I have looked and look for ford o matic  or cruse o matic ,I found a guy in stockton had a trans , I asked it it was correct never got a answer , $950 wanted a core charge ,  and it 4 hours away ..but no answer if it would bolt up..  they are not around guys ..   Tired of beating a dead horse .. I looked and looked online , not driving to the moon , I hear opinions ... good look ....for such and such .. Enough is enough .. I hear lots of ideas , but no here is the part, it works ... 
remember , its going into a f100  1956 ,    it had /has 3 speed , with over drive ..  
I'm located in grants pass,or  I'm going to make a move next week .. you can email me , but honestly all I hear here is people with ideas.no you can find it over here , tired of waiting .. . Sorry guys .. Thank you very much! 
  Question ?????Will a 1959 Ford O Matic Bolt to a Y block ... seems like it might  1956 F100 truck found one in redding ???? happy to go that way Looks like a two speed auto?? I'd buy that its close cost is good its rebuilt too 
By jw375 - 6 Years Ago
will a 1959 fordomatic  bolt up , found one  ..needs to go to 56 f 100 
By jw375 - 6 Years Ago
Boy You area a Peach of a guy ...   I mean a Peach !
By PF Arcand - 6 Years Ago
Don't know about a '59 bolting up, but as I understand it, by '59 the Fordomatic was religated to cheaper models & is a true 2 spd trans, unlike the earlier models that are actually 3 spd.  

P.S.-  Whatever non original trans you decide on, ensure that the input shaft does "not" bottom out against the crankshaft!  That info comes from an         expert on Y-Block conversions, John Mummert..
By jw375 - 6 Years Ago
I Jumped In , Order flat-O Gene ,  I found a good Rebuilt C4 for $200 .. which gave me a big leg up.. even C4's can be hard to find..  going to use stock column  $725 + $60.00.. Gene sells a arm that can use ..  its a beater now ,,interior is nice .. getting ready for spring .. 
takes a 11 INCH  Torque converter , I need a 360 / 390 starter .. My Buddy Dan is a real car guy has a lift.. 
I need to drive line extended .. 
 http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0af2a6fe-ca12-4230-94ae-e78c.jpg 
Big question.. looking to add power steering next year ..looks like mid fifty does that .. 

I could get this truck pretty close for around 10.. K .. reasonable amount.. over all .. ballpark