Profile Picture

How Long To Reach OP Temperature?

Posted By Half-dude 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hey there guys! Getting to be spring again, time to get the old Fairline out of hibernation and ready for shows.

I was curious about two little things:

-I've had issues with temperature on my Fairlane for awhile now, those here who remember me probably know. Most of the issue seems to have been tied to a bad spring on the exhaust valve. So needless to say I've been keeping an eye on my temperature out of habit at this point. I've noticed this though lately. It takes my 272 almost 30 minutes to reach around 190o (operating temperature), granted I drive my 55' very gently, treat her like the respectable old dame she is, but I'm just wondering if this is normal even for gentle driving. It seems like a long time, but then again I've heard cast iron blocks take longer to heat up then modern aluminum blocks

Kind of funny, an engine that has had issues with running too hot, ironically takes so long to get up to temperature initially. She still does run hot eventually. Hovers around 180 for awhile, raising and falling between 180 and 190 or even 200. Then at some point the cooling system just starts to say "screw it" and it'll start slowly raising up to around 220 or more and I'll have to stop. Luckily though again out of habit I don't take her on very long drives so it rarely ever runs that long to get that high.

-The other question. When cold my car will idle the same speed no matter what gear it's in (Fordomatic). But when my Fairlane us up to operating temperature if you shift out into Park or Neutral, the idle will go from normal up to an elevated idle almost like you have your foot on the gas a bit.Kinda makes me want to shot her off while in gear just to avoid it doing that as it just.. doesn't feel right. Is this some sort of timing advance or carburetor issue maybe or is it even an issue? Just seems weird that it'd jump up to a way faster idle when out of gear. 

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post How Long To Reach OP Temperature? By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post How are you determining the temperature? Does the temperature climb... By charliemccraney ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post I've got an aftermarket temperature gauge, the sender is installed in... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post some checks that you should state to get proper help has the rad bin... By 2721955meteor ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post No the radiator hasn't been cleaned, professionally at least. I've... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Actually the 54,55 and 56 Fords did come with shrouds, but they were... By Lou ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post The actual temperature will be about 15 degrees higher than indicated... By charliemccraney ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post As for the change in RPM when shifting between gears, check your kick-... By Lou ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Rev the engine and watch the hose to see if it collapses. You need to... By charliemccraney ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Insufficient timing advance at part throttle cruise (40-60mph) will... By Sandbird ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Well that's an interesting point.. I'll see if I can find myself a... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post if the rad has not bean roded (top tank removed and small flat rodes... By 2721955meteor ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post I cured my over heating problem with a smaller pulley. 5-1/2" from a... By DryLakesRacer ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post dry lakes has good info,but trying to pump more water threw a... By 2721955meteor ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post My overheating problem was well documented here. It was a water... By DryLakesRacer ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Told me of that fix. Ted came in later and said how any different... By DryLakesRacer ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]DryLakesRacer (4/14/2017)[/b][hr] I cured my over... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post I remember that flex fans were prone for the blades flying off. One... By Sandbird ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]2721955meteor (4/14/2017)[/b][hr] if the rad has not... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post I agree, they aren't very nice visually. I ended up putting one in my... By 57RancheroJim ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]57RancheroJim (4/15/2017)[/b][hr] I'd rather be able to... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hey I found this one..... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post PM sent. By DryLakesRacer ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post My car has a 5 blade fan that has a Ford part number on it. Not sure... By ian57tbird ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post It sounds to me like the engine has a vacuum leak - that gets bigger... By GREENBIRD56 ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]GREENBIRD56 (4/18/2017)[/b][hr] It sounds to me like... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post core plugs ,i use the rubber ones,as it is no easy task to get the... By 2721955meteor ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Man that fan really does look like it would move a lot of air Ian57!... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post 1/2 Dude - how does the vacuum look when you are up at the "overheat"... By GREENBIRD56 ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote]1/2 Dude - how does the vacuum look when you are up at... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Interesting point you made Steve, about the fan flattening out up... By ian57tbird ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Most Y blocks will run fine at 12 degrees. The problem is the dampener... By 57RancheroJim ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post You cant just run 12 degrees without checking what the total timing is... By Talkwrench ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Okay so Chuck over at Carburetors & More emailed me back tonight and... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post 30 deg. initial timing has to be a mistake. You probably wouldn't be... By Sandbird ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post I agree, 30 degrees would be the total not the initial at idle. I... By 57RancheroJim ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post That looks like a weld to me, as well, in which case, it is past time... By charliemccraney ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hey thanks for all the advice so far. By weld mark do you mean that... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post The springs control the rate. The amount of advance is limited by a... By charliemccraney ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Your timing won't have any effect on the trans shifting. The shifting... By 57RancheroJim ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Okay big news dump: I checked my damper to see if TDC on it was... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post You need to know the idle speed. If it is high enough, then the... By charliemccraney ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Well the advance couldn't have been coming into play during that... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post It is hard to believe that engine started with all that initial... By Sandbird ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]charliemccraney (4/22/2017)[/b][hr]Another thing that could... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post your dist is a load ematic(the tell tale is the large... By 2721955meteor ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Yes, you need a tachometer. Either install one in the car or look for... By charliemccraney ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]charliemccraney (4/22/2017)[/b][hr] Which distributor is... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post The damper has a keyway and there is a key in the crank so it can only... By ian57tbird ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post That looks like an original Load-a-Matic dist. First check that the... By 57RancheroJim ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Load-O-Matic may have been the original on your car but the later... By charliemccraney ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Dwell should be 26-28 degrees. It's almost impossible to find TDC... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Thats the correct carb to provide the correct vacuum signal for the... By 57RancheroJim ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Okay I've got some big information. I'm uploading about 4 videos which... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post You may be getting a vacuum signal to the distributor if the idle is... By 57RancheroJim ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post hmmm.. By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Here are the videos:... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Dude, Before you start changing springs you might want to squirt... By Sandbird ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post So I messed with my carburetor trying to get the idle lowered. I... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Thats great news!!! By 57RancheroJim ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post Sweet! Now you can show your friend how to check the timing. ;) By charliemccraney ( 7 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]charliemccraney (4/26/2017)[/b][hr] Sweet! Now you can... By Half-dude ( 7 Years Ago )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter