Profile Picture

How Long To Reach OP Temperature?

Posted By Half-dude 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hey there guys! Getting to be spring again, time to get the old Fairline out of hibernation and ready for shows.

I was curious about two little things:

-I've had issues with temperature on my Fairlane for awhile now, those here who remember me probably know. Most of the issue seems to have been tied to a bad spring on the exhaust valve. So needless to say I've been keeping an eye on my temperature out of habit at this point. I've noticed this though lately. It takes my 272 almost 30 minutes to reach around 190o (operating temperature), granted I drive my 55' very gently, treat her like the respectable old dame she is, but I'm just wondering if this is normal even for gentle driving. It seems like a long time, but then again I've heard cast iron blocks take longer to heat up then modern aluminum blocks

Kind of funny, an engine that has had issues with running too hot, ironically takes so long to get up to temperature initially. She still does run hot eventually. Hovers around 180 for awhile, raising and falling between 180 and 190 or even 200. Then at some point the cooling system just starts to say "screw it" and it'll start slowly raising up to around 220 or more and I'll have to stop. Luckily though again out of habit I don't take her on very long drives so it rarely ever runs that long to get that high.

-The other question. When cold my car will idle the same speed no matter what gear it's in (Fordomatic). But when my Fairlane us up to operating temperature if you shift out into Park or Neutral, the idle will go from normal up to an elevated idle almost like you have your foot on the gas a bit.Kinda makes me want to shot her off while in gear just to avoid it doing that as it just.. doesn't feel right. Is this some sort of timing advance or carburetor issue maybe or is it even an issue? Just seems weird that it'd jump up to a way faster idle when out of gear. 
57RancheroJim
This post has been flagged as an answer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
You may be getting a vacuum signal to the distributor if the idle is set to high..

Reading This Topic

Site Meter