Profile Picture

Finally Finished !! Blown EFI Y-Block 32 Ford

Posted By thundercat 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
That thing looks great.  Does that efi system adjust fuel and timing based on MAP?  Or does that not matter if the throttle body is not under pressure?
My next major project will be fuel injection but I need something that works with a blow through setup, for a turbo.  It would be great if it was self tuning otherwise it will have quite a learning curve at the start but that doesn't seem to exist, for use with blow through setups, yet.

Auto Specialties make custom pulleys, https://www.autospecialties.com/  I had them make a set of crank, alternator and water pump pulleys for use with the Innovators West harmonic damper.  Those three were $375, but that was only one groove.  Two more grooves means you start with a larger chunk of aluminum, and more time and wear and tear on the machines and tooling.
That in mind, $800 for the set of 3 groove blower pulleys, which is probably low production, might be about right.

Lawrenceville, GA
thundercat
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
The MSD system is self tuning or you can dial in what you want..
there is a hand held unit in car that you can see what is going on [also a card you can take into house and plug into computer--I haven't done that yet]  you can change anything manually you want with hand held  like mixtures at any RPM  or pump shot  % ....  control 2 electric fans..  if you use MSD distributor you can lock rotor and control all timing advance  also take timing out as boost builds.also enrichen when more boost...  it starts instantly every time.. so far ive had no problems and it runs better each time I take it out..  EXCEPT  it works better at operating temp [not as smooth until temp up]  and occasionally will die when I leave of throttle and I have to touch throttle back down..im sure it will work out.Im still in the learning stages also...im very pleased..  Steve McD

Mars , Pennsylvania

thundercat
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)Supercharged (356 reputation)

The paperwork  states it will work with blow -thru boost also..

Mars , Pennsylvania

charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Does it indicate that it will still self tune with blow through boost?

Lawrenceville, GA
thundercat
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Manual doesn't state   Here is the # I have called  when I have had questions   So far I have had good answers  .. 915-857-5200 sometimes  hard to talk to same person though..  Bret Kugler  I have talked to couple times..  hope this helps..  Steve McD

Mars , Pennsylvania

thundercat
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Negative is ....there system is pricey compared to some of the others..  from my research it does much more [ especially with power adders] and quite a bit simpler to install. less wiring and more of the components are inside the throttle body instead of remotely mounted...     It can be used without return line but they recommend using return as I did  BUT if I had to do it over I would have mounted pump in tank  [pain in neck] its noisey and ive been told that the pumps last much longer if in tank by being cooled buy fuel..[like OEM setups] ....

Mars , Pennsylvania

LordMrFord
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I hope MSD can be locked after tuning, because self tuning under boost is fatal for engine if Lambda sensor goes bad.

And blow thru is only option when playing with turbos. Internals dont like fuel and you cant use intercooler with air/fuel mixture.

Nice setup Thundercat by the way.

Hyvinkää, FI
mark9088
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
GREAT WORK!!
couple of questions as I am building a blown y also
how much boost?
using a main girdle?
static compression ratio?
thank you,
Dean Markuson

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/90f116af-b3cf-4452-823a-a9e5.jpg 

thundercat
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I do not have a main girdle.. I did use ARP stud kit & drilled to longer depth of later engines. The static compression is 8.9  with dished Racetec forged pistons.  The heads were opened up a little. The blower is under driver 36teeth on top and 32 teeth on bottom. Probably 6# at most ...likely less... I can't tell you the boost [ guage not installed yet]  and  i've only been running 3/4 throttle because I'm not happy with the stopping distance of my  car..  It has Wilwood Dynalites on front and Ford "Big" station wagon drum brakes on 9" rear end. but doesn't stop as well as I think it should for a 2200# car..  I was a little rushed to test run before winter. I now know some of the items  I need to change or alter  over winter. Regards  Steve McD

Mars , Pennsylvania

famdoc3
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Getting more done on my blower set-up. Take a look. MIKE
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/dec68128-d3aa-48be-bd5f-057b.jpg 

Mike, still lovin his 57 t'bird after 53 years!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter