Profile Picture

Manual disc brakes.

Posted By 62bigwindow 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Months Ago
How much of an improvement are manual discs over the factory drums? I want to upgrade the fronts and maybe rears(depending on which axle I use) to discs.If it is a big improvement I would rather just upgrade the master cyl and forgo the booster.

Durham Missouri
Louis Champeau
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Disk brakes do not stop as fast as drums, drums have more swept area  (reason large trucks went back to drums) Disks do disapate heat faster there for fade less (reason race cars use them). Manfactures went to disk for two ressons,  # 1 great sale point, race car brakes, #2 less parts, cheaper to install on production line.
You can get hard linnings for drums that solve the fade problem but you might need a power booster for very hard linnings.
62bigwindow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

That's interesting. Not that I doubt you but I wonder why then the disc conversions are so popular?

Durham Missouri
miker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
There's a lot of different opinions on this. I think the the old linings with asbestos did a much better job than our current drum linings. Someone wrote some years ago that if you make multiple panic stops in a street car and encounter fade, you've got a driving problem, not a brake problem. My light 32 roadster has drums all around, Buicks on the front. Locks the bias plies, no problem. But it weighs a third of what a Buick did, and has smaller tires.

If you can adjust the brakes so they don't pull, and they lock the tires, you need better tires, not better brakes. Fade, towing a load, racing, are different issues. It comes down to the tire in the end, for one hard stop.

I like the disc on the front of the 55 bird. The disc on the rear were a waste of money. I should have kept the drums, and changed them to self adjusting. But I'm running 225 and 235 T /A radials, respectively, and the car stops much better than on 205 Cokers.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
paul2748
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
When I changed my 54 to discs in the front (Granada conversion) I decided to go without power.  I have not regretted that decision and I am very satisfied the way it stops, including a couple of emergency panic stops.  I put a fair amount of miles on the car almost every year so I give it a good test.  Whether its a big difference between the manual drums and the manual discs it's hard to say. 

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

62bigwindow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Are you running manual or power on your bird? I plan on doing the disc conversion I just wondered if power brakes were really necessary.

Durham Missouri
charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
As far as stopping power, I really didn't notice a difference when I converted to front discs.  It wasn't worse and it wasn't better, so a move sideways as far as stopping power.  I'm running a manual disc/drum system.  What I do like is the ease of maintenance over drums - much easier brake jobs, slightly easier hub removal for greasing bearings

What miker says about tires is also true, the vehicle will stop only as well as the tires can grip.  Drum brakes in good condition have no trouble at all locking the wheels.

If your drum brakes are in need of repair, then a disc conversion could actually be a cost effective option depending on just how much work the drums need.

62bigwindow, does that refer to a '62 F100?  If you have a 9", a good swap for the rear brakes is to get either the axles, drums, and backing plates from a '68-70something F100 or the entire axle assembly from the same year range is nearly a bolt in for a '62 - just get the whole thing and swap it in.  This gets you a rear drum brake that is 1/2" wider than stock.  That combined with the typical front discs kits gets you pretty much a '73 up F150 brake system - a system that works on vehicles that should have similar dynamics.

Lawrenceville, GA
62bigwindow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

My 62 has 4 wheel discs but it's not done yet so it will be a while before I have an opinion on its brakes. I am working on the brakes on my 56 Ranch Wagon. Sorry for not being clear on what I am working on.

Durham Missouri
miker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
My 'bird has a hydroboost unit, powered off the power steering. I didn't find the manual 4 drums a problem. The front disc kit (1998?) had a stock booster (vacuum) for the front disc only. It's too much boost for me now, but the wife likes it. Need I say more?

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
MarkMontereyBay
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I upgraded to disc front brakes on my 57 bird. See some of my previous posts about that.. I used the Granada front spindles, etc., Granada manual disc/drum master cylinder and a Wilwood combination valve. I was a little skeptical about the lack of power brakes but they are great. Steady, straight, and easy pedal effort stops. No need for the booster in my case.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

Reading This Topic

Site Meter