Profile Picture

Alternator conversion for 312 Y-Block Mercury

Posted By Frank from Texas 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
My 312 Y-Block Mercury Montclair has a 12 volt generator system. I want to remove the generator and install an alternator.
Do I need any other parts other than the new alternator ? Mac's offers a conversion kit for $210.95.
Thanks
Brodie55
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic63787.aspxere is what I used....highly recommended.

bayboy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)Normally aspirated (35 reputation)

use a GM delco 1 wire  revamp old   mounts or  replace with aftermarket brackets  and Bobs your uncle
Rono
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
Tuff Stuff markets a chrome GM 100 Amp 1 wire alternator that are pretty reasonable. I don't know if your 12V generator uses a voltage regulator or not, but with the 1 wire alternators you don't need them.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

iowa fords
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I make and sell a stainless set of brackets that will mount an alternator on lower right side.  $120.

tom in iowa

54 Merc wagon

54 sunvalley
miker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
A one wire conversion produces charging voltage (nominally 13.7 or so) at the alternator. When I converted my 6 volt bird, I was only getting 12.7 at the battery, even with the larger wiring for 6 volts and cleaned connections. Going to a 3 wire set up saw 13.7+ at the battery. There's a reason GM, and others, designed those with three wires, even with the internal regulator.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
paul2748
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
I'm with Miker.  I heard that you cannot get a one wire GM at just any parts store.  I don't know if this is true any more, but the 3 wire ones you can get anywhere.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 10 hours ago
I get the full 13.7v with a 1 wire.  That's measured with a gauge wired to the fuse panel under the dash.  Even at the fuel pump, toward the back of the bed, it's above 13 volts.

Not all 1 wires are the same.  I have two, one is a Delco, converted to 1-wire.  The other is a Powermaster, but it appears to be their own design, not a Delco logo anywhere.  The delco needs to be rev'd to about 1500rpm to start charging.  I never have to rev the engine for the Powermaster.  My engine idles a little higher than a stock engine, so I'm not saying you absolutely won't have to rev yours, but it is much better about that than the Delco.  Both provide full voltage.

Another thing at play is pulley diameter.  Too large a pulley and the alternator will turn too slowly.  If the  vehicle is equipped with a 1/2" belt, then the alternator pulley is too big as it is impossible to get it small enough for a 2.5-3:1 ratio with the crank pulley.  3:1 is best for a stock engine or an engine with a near stock idle speed.  Of course, the pulley should only have a significant effect at idle.

Perhaps in the future, when I have more electrical accessories, the one wire may not cut it.  But so far, in well over 10 years of daily, year round, all weather driving, it has been flawless for the simple, mostly stock wiring.

Lawrenceville, GA
Brodie55
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic63787.aspx
MoonShadow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 18 minutes ago
Don't the one wire alternators require you rev the engine to 2000 RPM or so to activate the stator on start up. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

Reading This Topic

Site Meter