Profile Picture

Stock cam lift

Posted By DryLakesRacer 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Jeff: Nice job you've done!  The on going issue with the 1957 EDB camshaft apparently not being available, has been a source of annoyance to some for a long while.  On behalf of all those interested, thanks!  
Further info. Oregon Cam Grinding is at;  5913 NE.127th Ave. #200, Vancouver WA 98682  U.S.A
Ph. 360-256-7985    Fax 360-256-7465  e mail  orcam@pacifier.com

Paul
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Greetings to all: I finally received the cam from Oregon Cam Grinding 2 days ago that is to be a copy of the 1957 ''EDB"  part number B7A-6250-B cam shaft. After viewing the pedigree paper supplied with the cam and doing some basic checking of my own, it appears to be the read deal. With out splitting hairs it's with in 2 or 3* duration and .001 or .002 either way.  The only spec I can't verify is the 3* advance that is to be ground in because my engine block and crank is still in the machine shop. However, the folks at Oregon Cam are aware that this cam is not ground straight up. I found out about Oregon Cam from Tim McMaster's (The Y-Block Guy) web site so I trust it's a quality product.  When I'm able to start assembling the engine, I'll post the valve timing events then.  So, to all who are interested in this cam, it is available.  Hope this helps, JEFF............

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Oldmics
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Jeff
Your right on the money.
That pesky lash thing always bites me in the ass.
Would be excellent of Oregon if they can build the original sticks.
Oldmics
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Greetings to all: In the Eickman book on P. 34, the specs under the B7A-6250-B cam,  .272 intake and .285 exhaust lobe lift is listed.  On P.33 the valve lift is listed correctly using 1.54 rockers minus .018 lash which is .400 intake and .420 exhaust valve lift. Looking at the information published by John Mummet posted by Y Block Billy earlier in this thread it shows .270 & .283 intake & exhaust lobe lift respectively.  I think John listed actual measurements so to be within .002 is close enough. The same table also shows 114* LSA. I have a very worn EDB cam that I measured about a hair over 113* LSA with it in V-blocks and a degree wheel on it. Picking out the 2 best lobes on my worn 57 cam agrees with the published lift. Also, the 57 Ford shop manual shows the same lobe lift. So I believe at least the above specs (lobe lift and LSA) are true to the above cam and the data at Oregon Cam.  The Eickman book P.34 also lists the valve timing events of our cam which agree with whats listed in the 57 shop manual.  I will see if I can get more info from Oregon Cam to pass on but they seem to know of the cam we are discussing.                  I hope not to confuse this post but addressing the the de-tuned cam B8A-6250-C used from 1958 on,  P.33 in the Eickman book doesn't list lobe lift. Rather, shown valve lift of .360.    However, doing the math in reverse using the 1.43 rockers, the lobe lift would work out to .264 and that's putting back in the .018 lash. I have personally degreed a  de-tuned cam purchased from John and it is .263 lobe lift.  I really hope this helps as I'm sometimes not the greatest explaining things in text.   JEFF..........

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Oldmics
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Jeff
As you mention
"It had a unique grind, with intake lift of .272 and exhaust lift of .285"

However according to the information that I have (Eickmans book) the lift on the stock B7A 6250-B stick comes out as
.260 Intake
.272 exhaust
A bit different than the specs you have. I have never seen the LSA specs and advance information published anywhere.

As for the 58 replacement/detuned camshaft the general comparison would be reduced lift .252  along with reduced rocker ratios  (a return of the1.43 ratio) utilized on the 58 and up engines.
That combination would make for a real low performer engine .

It would be interesting to see if the Oregon cam grind is actually the same as the original B7 6250-B.
Ask Ken if he can share measurement information on his camshaft at the points of
.015 on the I.O  and the  I.C. events
and
.013 on the E.O. and also at .016 on the E.C. event

That would tell if the ramps are the same as Fords original cam or if its something different.

Oldmics

chiggerfarmer
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Months Ago
Thank you for that information Jeff. That is exactly what I want also. I eagerly await your results. Thanks

Tom from the chiggerfarm located in the beautiful Heart of Central Texas

When you cannot dazzle others with your brilliance, baffle them with bullcorn! BigGrin
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Greetings to all: Hopefully in about 5 weeks I will be assembling my engine with the "EDB" cam from Oregon Cam.  Will put the degree wheel on with a new timing chain set and see precisely where everything is at. I'll post my findings as soon as I can.

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Greetings to all: I too have been on a hunt for the EDB cam used only in 1957 part no. B7A-6250-B.  It had a unique grind, with intake lift of .272 and exhaust lift of .285 making it easy to identify with V-blocks and a dial indicator.  It worked extremely well in my 57 312 with it's higher compression ratio, 3.56 gear in the rear and a cruise-o-matic. It also produced the most throaty coolest intake sound only unique to a y-block among many other attributes. That being said, I just finished a lengthy conversation with Ken at Oregon Cams and they indeed have the lobe masters produced from an original Ford cam if anyone is interested.  Ken also confirmed 114* LSA ground 3* advanced. They don't have one on the shelf at the moment but will produce one for me in about 2 weeks very reasonably priced. I'm making a 312 out of my 64 F100's 292 with G heads and 1.54 rockers and this cam.  Hope this helps.....JEFF

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
chiggerfarmer
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)Supercharged (177 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Months Ago
I now think it doesn't really matter to me which stock cam I use, it's just me being picky to wish for the very best performing "stock" engine. I have a NOS Ford cam with a B8AZ number, which should have originated in 1958.  I will try to find out what the differences are.

Many thanks 

Tom from the chiggerfarm located in the beautiful Heart of Central Texas

When you cannot dazzle others with your brilliance, baffle them with bullcorn! BigGrin
PF Arcand
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Chigger: re your question about other early years cams. Apparently the specs vary a bit, but most are similar to the last replacement cam & are all milder than 1957. As far as is known, all regular car 272,292 & 312 cams in 1957 used the same specs, hence the higher power ratings. It's unfortunate that spec cam isn't readily available off the shelf. 

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter