Profile Picture

Larger Carburetor...

Posted By lovefordgalaxie 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Here is a picture of one:

Túlio Lazzaroni "FORD", Florianópolis SC Brasil.

'74 Ford Galaxie 500 292 V8

'82 Ford Galaxie Landau 302 V8

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
lovefordgalaxie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)

Daniel Jessup (9/17/2014)
I guess there are some things we have here in the States that you Y blockers in Brazil would like more of, and there are things in Brazil that we in the States want more of! I have heard much talk of those Phase II heads...

True!!
The phase two engine is from Argentina, tough. It's a very nice upgrade on the original design.

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
Daniel Jessup
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I guess there are some things we have here in the States that you Y blockers in Brazil would like more of, and there are things in Brazil that we in the States want more of! I have heard much talk of those Phase II heads...

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

lovefordgalaxie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Daniel Jessup (9/17/2014)

Tulio - thanks for the video and glad to see that carb is now working!

Where did you get that tachometer from? I noticed it had a "FoMoCo" stamped on there. Also, when you had the carb/engine shot in the video I noticed you had an AC compressor mounted on the driver's side? Is that bracketry/pulley system original to the car or are their places down in Brazil where you can find such parts? Most of the AC compressors in the states for Y blocks (that I have seen anyway) mount on the passenger side. Some of that may be due to the fact that original power steering pumps mount on the drivers' side also.

My crazy brother in law just flew out to Sao Paulo yesterday. He had a kidney stone on Saturday that he could not pass. He filled up with medication and took off anyway... there are several people going down there from his church to visit some churches down in the city. How far are you from Sao Paulo?

Daniel, 
Thanks for your comment!
That tach, I pulled from a Argentine built Ford Falcon I found in a junk yard. In the back, it says Ford Motor Company, hecho en Argentina, and has a button so you can make it work on six or eight cylinder engines. I guess it is a dealer accessory sold back in the day. I only had to replace the wiring, and it worked like new. have it for many years.
The air conditioning bracket is factory stock. I just had it chrome plated. The AC on my car was dealer installed, so, they used the factory support, and a sanden style compressor, but the support will accept the York compressor as well.
I live in Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, about ten hours away from São Paulo, but I have a friend in the city of Agudos, State of São Paulo, that owns a major junk yard and he only works with Galaxies. He should have one of those supports to sell.

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
Daniel Jessup
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday

Tulio - thanks for the video and glad to see that carb is now working!

Where did you get that tachometer from? I noticed it had a "FoMoCo" stamped on there. Also, when you had the carb/engine shot in the video I noticed you had an AC compressor mounted on the driver's side? Is that bracketry/pulley system original to the car or are their places down in Brazil where you can find such parts? Most of the AC compressors in the states for Y blocks (that I have seen anyway) mount on the passenger side. Some of that may be due to the fact that original power steering pumps mount on the drivers' side also.

My crazy brother in law just flew out to Sao Paulo yesterday. He had a kidney stone on Saturday that he could not pass. He filled up with medication and took off anyway... there are several people going down there from his church to visit some churches down in the city. How far are you from Sao Paulo?

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

lovefordgalaxie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Got the Autolite working!!!!!!
The problem that was keeping the carburetor from working like it should was the primary axle and butterflies!!!!
When I first rebuilt the carburetor, I had the idle speed screw installed before installing the axle and butterflies, so I never checked to see if the butterflies were actually adjusted properly to the bores. They weren't.
Also replaced the primary axle with one from a Autolite 2100 without the kick down lever, as my car is a three on the tree. Now it works great.

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
lovefordgalaxie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted (9/6/2014)
lovefordgalaxie (9/6/2014)
What I really wanted to do, was to make the 1.12 work....... 

The venturi assemblies in the Autolite carbs are prone to being warped if overtightened.  This can be verified by removing the assemblies and putting a straight edge across the flat surface that supports the gasket and checking them for straightness.  As little as 0.015” warpage on either the primary or secondary venturi assembly can prove to be a problem. The easy fix for this is simply to use a double gasket under the assembly before tightening the single screw that holds it in place.  White grease on the gasket can also be a temporary fix.

Got hopes for a while. The venturi gasket surface is straight, there is no warping at all.
Took the carburetor apart again, with hope I had forgotten one of the passages from the power valve to the main fuel well under the jets obstructed. Took the power valve off, and only found the gasket partially obstructing one of it's windows. The passages were clear. Replaced the gasket, and reassembled the power valve and it's cover. No vacuum leaks, and the PV is closing like it should.
What I'm doing now is letting the primary venturi assembly to soak in some carb cleaner for a few days (since Friday). All the air bleeds were clean, as were the idle jets, but I hope there were some of that 30 year old fossilized gasoline much like tar in the passages to the annular discharge venturis, and that is what is restricting the fuel flow. Really hope it will work, because if not, will park the car for some months until I have the cash to import from the U.S. a replacemente 1.08 Autolite, or a Holley 570 Street Avenger, like Charlie suggested.  Edelbroock carburetors are ready available at speed shops here, but I'm no fan of them, and my air cleaner from a 1966 Galaxie 500 7 Litre won't fit on top of it... And I had a lot of trouble getting that air cleaner, it's original, and not a modern replica. 
I think I'm just gonna cry now, thanks.

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
Ted
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
lovefordgalaxie (9/6/2014)
What I really wanted to do, was to make the 1.12 work....... 

The venturi assemblies in the Autolite carbs are prone to being warped if overtightened.  This can be verified by removing the assemblies and putting a straight edge across the flat surface that supports the gasket and checking them for straightness.  As little as 0.015” warpage on either the primary or secondary venturi assembly can prove to be a problem. The easy fix for this is simply to use a double gasket under the assembly before tightening the single screw that holds it in place.  White grease on the gasket can also be a temporary fix.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

lovefordgalaxie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

That makes a lot o sense to me Charlie.
The hard part is to get larger Autolite jets around here. Those 50F jets I have are from an Autolite 2100 1.14 that I bought from a fellow forum member some years ago, when I had a two barrel intake on the car. It ran great with the 1.14 and those jets. Before that one, I had a Motorcraft 1.08, from a Maverick, and that one had the stock 48F jets.
All Autolite/Motorcraft carburetors that were sold here in Brazil, came in 302 engines, like the ones on V8 Mavericks, and on 1976 and forward Galaxies. All of them had 48F jets. So, you can imagine that is very hard to find variety on Autolite jets, specially because they are different from Holley jets. Those are found with ease.
Looks like I just got myself into a lot of troubleWhistling

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
charliemccraney
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
I don't know much about Autolites but I think you need a jet bigger than 50.  If 48 worked in the 1.08, then I think about 54 to 60 for the 1.12.  The best thing you can do is figure out how that 1.12 was originally set up, make sure it is like that and go from there.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter