Larger Carburetor...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic107281.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By lovefordgalaxie - 10 Years Ago
Hi guys!!
I'm currently running a Autolite 4100 with 1.08 ventures on my 292. The car is running great. I want a little more "go power" tough.

The engine was rebuilt by me back in 2010. I bored her 0.040 over, and installed a Isky E-4 cam.

I have a perfectly restored Autolite 4100 1.12 that I'm thinking about using. This one is a CAF F and is now in perfect running order.

I'm thinking about main jets? What do you think?

Thanks!! 

By NoShortcuts - 10 Years Ago
GENERALLY, the Autolite 4100 1.08 is looked upon as an excellent performer for the small block (289, 302 ci) Fords.  This would be for stop-and-go, low speed performance, crisp throttle response, street and highway applications...

However, I have a recollection that there was one year ('66 ?) that the 1.08 series was considered a real 'dog'.  Apparently, some of the series were modified for emissions purposes and were even used on larger series engines like the [?] 428 [?].

What are the numbers on the base of your 1.08 carb.?  I've got some info. I can dig through from the former Pony Carburetor web site copied before it expired after owner Jon Enyeart's death in 2011 and the folding of the company.  Pony Carburetor assets apparently have since been acquired by Champion Carburetor, BUT I don't see the technical info. previously available in place on Champion's web site..
Thanks Charlie.
The tag on mine reads:
C52FJ
2MB
From what I can read of the data code, it's from 1965. 
My 1.12 is also from 1965.
The car responds well, has great performance in town, but I could use some more power on highway use.

Since the 1.08 is close to 500 cfm, and the 1.12 is close to 600, plus the fact that I already have the carburetor, I thought about giving it a try.
I'm using 48F Jets on the 1.08 If I use larger jets, the car gets too rich. It was a real pain to get to the right number.
Thanks again guys!!
By jrw429 - 10 Years Ago
When trying to decode numbers, note that Túlio is in Brazil, with a production Ford using a 292 a decade after the USA stopped producing them. So matching up numbers may or may not work. Although being a 1965 part, when USA was still making them for FE's, it might be the same. Don't know, just wanted to flag a possible issue.
By PF Arcand - 10 Years Ago
Ted Eaton tested a variety of carbs on his 322" Y-Blk mule some time back. The tests were published in Y-Blk magazine, issue # 97-Mar-April 2010. As I recall, the Autolite 1.08 out performed the 1.12 version by quite a margin. I'll try to locate the test & report further..
Edited for further info; Of 16 carbs tested, the 1.08 ran 5th overall & 2nd in stock or unmodifed units. Jetting was 47p-57s. The 1.12 verson ran 8th. It was close in performance stats except torque, which was off about 4 lbs. Jets were 49p-60s. A 2nd 1.12 was tested, but it was a race modified carb & finished well down. Unfortunately exact model #s weren''t included. The 1.08 was described as a replacement version of a 1957 unit.. Special note- the original advertised flow #s of the 2 Autolites have apparently been disproven. Correct flow #s are 440 & 520 cfm. 
GooD information, Paul.  Thanks for digging and coming in on this.  Ted Eaton's dyno test information is more definitive than anything I was chasing.  While Tulio's engine is not the same displacement as Ted's test engine, the jet sizes for the carbs should get him in the ballpark.
Jon Enyeart, deceased owner of the former Pony Carburetor enterprise, was a staunch believer in the Autolite 4100 carburetor design.  For combination street and highway operation, he advocated that small primary four barrels provided better overall drive-ability and throttle response than those with larger primaries do.  One of the things he marketed was a reworked 4100 1.12 unit with 1.08 unit sized primary venturis or (?) venturi boosters.  -Perhaps, he was modifying both.  He claimed that this provided optimum low speed throttle response and drive-ability while yielding maximum top-end performance for street-strip applications.

Before his death, Jon claimed to be working on the manufacture of an improved 4100 design carburetor...       
jrw429's (Jim's) point is a good one, too.  Although a particular production year by Ford code, a part like a carburetor for Brazil production use is apt to be internally different (metering passageways, accelerator pump capacity, economizer [power] valve calibration, jetting) due to the fuel being used in the country.

Here is the link to the carburetor testing article that was published in the Y-Block Magazine.

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/blog/2012/09/25/four-barrel-carburetor-testing-on-the-y/ 

Well, I installed the 1.12, and had really bad results. 
The car idles good, but it starves fuel at about 2000 RPM and up. 
Started with 48F main jets, the same I was using on my 1.08. Then tried 50F jets, and somehow it didn't solve the problem, only made it to appear a little latter, around 2500 RPM. The secondaries also don't want to open with the car parked.
I did a careful tune on the stop screw for the secondary butterflies, and they are not sticking to the carburetor barrel. The rebuilt kit is brand new.
Just to make things a little worse, I found a nasty crack on the base of my 1.08. One of it's "feet" is almost falling off. Maybe that was the reason it was not performing well, I think air was getting in behind it and the phenolic spacer and leaning the mixture. 
Basically, I have no usable carburetor now, and THAT is a pain...
At this point I'm considering to get a 4160 Holley 600 with manual choke and vacuum secondary, and to pray it will work on my engine, that is a 300 c.i.-Y with a E-4 Isky cam.
I'm for sure open to suggestions...
Here goes the codes on the 1.12:
Tag:
C5AF F
C 5FD

On the base:
C5AF F
Sorry to hear that you've got the problem with the 1.12, Tulio.
IF you pursue getting a Holley as a replacement this web address may help you.
NOTE:  I think Holley JUST re-did their web site.  What I found this AM was QUITE different from something I referenced what seems like a few weeks ago.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/classic_holley/
By Ted - 10 Years Ago
lovefordgalaxie (9/5/2014)
....... The secondaries also don't want to open with the car parked.
I did a careful tune on the stop screw for the secondary butterflies, and they are not sticking to the carburetor barrel. The rebuilt kit is brand new.

Very rarely can the vacuum secondaries be made to work on a non-modified carburetor by simply free winging the throttle.  Here’s the link to a thread discussing how to bench test the vacuum secondary operation on a Holley carb.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost61185.aspx 

This same test can also be performed on the Ford flattop 4V carbs if the air stream is instead redirected so that it’s under the brass tube that comes off of the top cover and into one of the primary fuel discharge nozzles.
What I really wanted to do, was to make the 1.12 work. 
I'm kind of old school, and I would prefer a Autolite over a Holley any day, but my problem now is to get the car running again. I have no idea of how the 1.08 was even making the engine idle with that nasty crack it has. Just found out cleaning it to re-install after the 1.12 didn't work good.

Like I bought it used, I guess somebody replaced the primary booster with one from another carburetor. That would be my guess on what is making it starve the engine on a constant RPM.

If I end buying a Holley, on a 0.040 over engine, and with a Isky E-4, what would be the best one to get (with manual choke)?   
If only a replacement 1.08 weren't so expensive... And in my case I even have to consider international shipping.
By charliemccraney - 10 Years Ago
lovefordgalaxie (9/6/2014)
...If I end buying a Holley, on a 0.040 over engine, and with a Isky E-4, what would be the best one to get (with manual choke)?...

The 570 Street Avenger is pretty sweet.

I think you need to go up a few more jet sizes in the 1.12 carb.  Using about the same size as the 1.08 could be why it is starving.  A bigger carb usually needs bigger jets.

This is the 1.12 I have. Restored it and converted it to manual choke (yes I covered all vacuum ports that the old choke used)
Auolite 4100 1.12 After the Rebuild by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

This is what I got from eBay:
Autolite 4100 1.12 as I got it from e Bay. by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

I just wish I knew why she won't work. there is nothing clogged, bent, cracked...

Thanks Charlie!!
The larger jets I have are 50F, and they didn't solve the issue. Like they were too big for the 1.08 on my engine, I set them aside. 
The 1.12 came with the 48F when I got it. The guy that sold it to me had no idea of where it came from. It was in his barn since the '70s.
Other than dust, old oily dirt, and fossilized gasoline in the very bottom, the carburetor looked like a very low mileage part.

By charliemccraney - 10 Years Ago
I don't know much about Autolites but I think you need a jet bigger than 50.  If 48 worked in the 1.08, then I think about 54 to 60 for the 1.12.  The best thing you can do is figure out how that 1.12 was originally set up, make sure it is like that and go from there.
That makes a lot o sense to me Charlie.
The hard part is to get larger Autolite jets around here. Those 50F jets I have are from an Autolite 2100 1.14 that I bought from a fellow forum member some years ago, when I had a two barrel intake on the car. It ran great with the 1.14 and those jets. Before that one, I had a Motorcraft 1.08, from a Maverick, and that one had the stock 48F jets.
All Autolite/Motorcraft carburetors that were sold here in Brazil, came in 302 engines, like the ones on V8 Mavericks, and on 1976 and forward Galaxies. All of them had 48F jets. So, you can imagine that is very hard to find variety on Autolite jets, specially because they are different from Holley jets. Those are found with ease.
Looks like I just got myself into a lot of troubleWhistling
By Ted - 10 Years Ago
What I really wanted to do, was to make the 1.12 work....... 

The venturi assemblies in the Autolite carbs are prone to being warped if overtightened.  This can be verified by removing the assemblies and putting a straight edge across the flat surface that supports the gasket and checking them for straightness.  As little as 0.015” warpage on either the primary or secondary venturi assembly can prove to be a problem. The easy fix for this is simply to use a double gasket under the assembly before tightening the single screw that holds it in place.  White grease on the gasket can also be a temporary fix.

Ted (9/6/2014)
What I really wanted to do, was to make the 1.12 work....... 

The venturi assemblies in the Autolite carbs are prone to being warped if overtightened.  This can be verified by removing the assemblies and putting a straight edge across the flat surface that supports the gasket and checking them for straightness.  As little as 0.015” warpage on either the primary or secondary venturi assembly can prove to be a problem. The easy fix for this is simply to use a double gasket under the assembly before tightening the single screw that holds it in place.  White grease on the gasket can also be a temporary fix.

Got hopes for a while. The venturi gasket surface is straight, there is no warping at all.
Took the carburetor apart again, with hope I had forgotten one of the passages from the power valve to the main fuel well under the jets obstructed. Took the power valve off, and only found the gasket partially obstructing one of it's windows. The passages were clear. Replaced the gasket, and reassembled the power valve and it's cover. No vacuum leaks, and the PV is closing like it should.
What I'm doing now is letting the primary venturi assembly to soak in some carb cleaner for a few days (since Friday). All the air bleeds were clean, as were the idle jets, but I hope there were some of that 30 year old fossilized gasoline much like tar in the passages to the annular discharge venturis, and that is what is restricting the fuel flow. Really hope it will work, because if not, will park the car for some months until I have the cash to import from the U.S. a replacemente 1.08 Autolite, or a Holley 570 Street Avenger, like Charlie suggested.  Edelbroock carburetors are ready available at speed shops here, but I'm no fan of them, and my air cleaner from a 1966 Galaxie 500 7 Litre won't fit on top of it... And I had a lot of trouble getting that air cleaner, it's original, and not a modern replica. 
I think I'm just gonna cry now, thanks.
Got the Autolite working!!!!!!
The problem that was keeping the carburetor from working like it should was the primary axle and butterflies!!!!
When I first rebuilt the carburetor, I had the idle speed screw installed before installing the axle and butterflies, so I never checked to see if the butterflies were actually adjusted properly to the bores. They weren't.
Also replaced the primary axle with one from a Autolite 2100 without the kick down lever, as my car is a three on the tree. Now it works great.

By Daniel Jessup - 10 Years Ago

Tulio - thanks for the video and glad to see that carb is now working!

Where did you get that tachometer from? I noticed it had a "FoMoCo" stamped on there. Also, when you had the carb/engine shot in the video I noticed you had an AC compressor mounted on the driver's side? Is that bracketry/pulley system original to the car or are their places down in Brazil where you can find such parts? Most of the AC compressors in the states for Y blocks (that I have seen anyway) mount on the passenger side. Some of that may be due to the fact that original power steering pumps mount on the drivers' side also.

My crazy brother in law just flew out to Sao Paulo yesterday. He had a kidney stone on Saturday that he could not pass. He filled up with medication and took off anyway... there are several people going down there from his church to visit some churches down in the city. How far are you from Sao Paulo?

Daniel Jessup (9/17/2014)

Tulio - thanks for the video and glad to see that carb is now working!

Where did you get that tachometer from? I noticed it had a "FoMoCo" stamped on there. Also, when you had the carb/engine shot in the video I noticed you had an AC compressor mounted on the driver's side? Is that bracketry/pulley system original to the car or are their places down in Brazil where you can find such parts? Most of the AC compressors in the states for Y blocks (that I have seen anyway) mount on the passenger side. Some of that may be due to the fact that original power steering pumps mount on the drivers' side also.

My crazy brother in law just flew out to Sao Paulo yesterday. He had a kidney stone on Saturday that he could not pass. He filled up with medication and took off anyway... there are several people going down there from his church to visit some churches down in the city. How far are you from Sao Paulo?

Daniel, 
Thanks for your comment!
That tach, I pulled from a Argentine built Ford Falcon I found in a junk yard. In the back, it says Ford Motor Company, hecho en Argentina, and has a button so you can make it work on six or eight cylinder engines. I guess it is a dealer accessory sold back in the day. I only had to replace the wiring, and it worked like new. have it for many years.
The air conditioning bracket is factory stock. I just had it chrome plated. The AC on my car was dealer installed, so, they used the factory support, and a sanden style compressor, but the support will accept the York compressor as well.
I live in Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, about ten hours away from São Paulo, but I have a friend in the city of Agudos, State of São Paulo, that owns a major junk yard and he only works with Galaxies. He should have one of those supports to sell.

By Daniel Jessup - 10 Years Ago
I guess there are some things we have here in the States that you Y blockers in Brazil would like more of, and there are things in Brazil that we in the States want more of! I have heard much talk of those Phase II heads...
Daniel Jessup (9/17/2014)
I guess there are some things we have here in the States that you Y blockers in Brazil would like more of, and there are things in Brazil that we in the States want more of! I have heard much talk of those Phase II heads...

True!!
The phase two engine is from Argentina, tough. It's a very nice upgrade on the original design.

Here is a picture of one: