Profile Picture

Larger Carburetor...

Posted By lovefordgalaxie 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
lovefordgalaxie (9/5/2014)
....... The secondaries also don't want to open with the car parked.
I did a careful tune on the stop screw for the secondary butterflies, and they are not sticking to the carburetor barrel. The rebuilt kit is brand new.

Very rarely can the vacuum secondaries be made to work on a non-modified carburetor by simply free winging the throttle.  Here’s the link to a thread discussing how to bench test the vacuum secondary operation on a Holley carb.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost61185.aspx 

This same test can also be performed on the Ford flattop 4V carbs if the air stream is instead redirected so that it’s under the brass tube that comes off of the top cover and into one of the primary fuel discharge nozzles.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

lovefordgalaxie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
What I really wanted to do, was to make the 1.12 work. 
I'm kind of old school, and I would prefer a Autolite over a Holley any day, but my problem now is to get the car running again. I have no idea of how the 1.08 was even making the engine idle with that nasty crack it has. Just found out cleaning it to re-install after the 1.12 didn't work good.

Like I bought it used, I guess somebody replaced the primary booster with one from another carburetor. That would be my guess on what is making it starve the engine on a constant RPM.

If I end buying a Holley, on a 0.040 over engine, and with a Isky E-4, what would be the best one to get (with manual choke)?   
If only a replacement 1.08 weren't so expensive... And in my case I even have to consider international shipping.

Túlio Lazzaroni "FORD", Florianópolis SC Brasil.

'74 Ford Galaxie 500 292 V8

'82 Ford Galaxie Landau 302 V8

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
charliemccraney
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
lovefordgalaxie (9/6/2014)
...If I end buying a Holley, on a 0.040 over engine, and with a Isky E-4, what would be the best one to get (with manual choke)?...

The 570 Street Avenger is pretty sweet.

I think you need to go up a few more jet sizes in the 1.12 carb.  Using about the same size as the 1.08 could be why it is starving.  A bigger carb usually needs bigger jets.

Lawrenceville, GA
lovefordgalaxie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)

This is the 1.12 I have. Restored it and converted it to manual choke (yes I covered all vacuum ports that the old choke used)
Auolite 4100 1.12 After the Rebuild by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

This is what I got from eBay:
Autolite 4100 1.12 as I got it from e Bay. by Lovefordgalaxie, on Flickr

I just wish I knew why she won't work. there is nothing clogged, bent, cracked...

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
lovefordgalaxie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Charlie!!
The larger jets I have are 50F, and they didn't solve the issue. Like they were too big for the 1.08 on my engine, I set them aside. 
The 1.12 came with the 48F when I got it. The guy that sold it to me had no idea of where it came from. It was in his barn since the '70s.
Other than dust, old oily dirt, and fossilized gasoline in the very bottom, the carburetor looked like a very low mileage part.

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
charliemccraney
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I don't know much about Autolites but I think you need a jet bigger than 50.  If 48 worked in the 1.08, then I think about 54 to 60 for the 1.12.  The best thing you can do is figure out how that 1.12 was originally set up, make sure it is like that and go from there.

Lawrenceville, GA
lovefordgalaxie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

That makes a lot o sense to me Charlie.
The hard part is to get larger Autolite jets around here. Those 50F jets I have are from an Autolite 2100 1.14 that I bought from a fellow forum member some years ago, when I had a two barrel intake on the car. It ran great with the 1.14 and those jets. Before that one, I had a Motorcraft 1.08, from a Maverick, and that one had the stock 48F jets.
All Autolite/Motorcraft carburetors that were sold here in Brazil, came in 302 engines, like the ones on V8 Mavericks, and on 1976 and forward Galaxies. All of them had 48F jets. So, you can imagine that is very hard to find variety on Autolite jets, specially because they are different from Holley jets. Those are found with ease.
Looks like I just got myself into a lot of troubleWhistling

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
Ted
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
What I really wanted to do, was to make the 1.12 work....... 

The venturi assemblies in the Autolite carbs are prone to being warped if overtightened.  This can be verified by removing the assemblies and putting a straight edge across the flat surface that supports the gasket and checking them for straightness.  As little as 0.015” warpage on either the primary or secondary venturi assembly can prove to be a problem. The easy fix for this is simply to use a double gasket under the assembly before tightening the single screw that holds it in place.  White grease on the gasket can also be a temporary fix.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

lovefordgalaxie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted (9/6/2014)
What I really wanted to do, was to make the 1.12 work....... 

The venturi assemblies in the Autolite carbs are prone to being warped if overtightened.  This can be verified by removing the assemblies and putting a straight edge across the flat surface that supports the gasket and checking them for straightness.  As little as 0.015” warpage on either the primary or secondary venturi assembly can prove to be a problem. The easy fix for this is simply to use a double gasket under the assembly before tightening the single screw that holds it in place.  White grease on the gasket can also be a temporary fix.

Got hopes for a while. The venturi gasket surface is straight, there is no warping at all.
Took the carburetor apart again, with hope I had forgotten one of the passages from the power valve to the main fuel well under the jets obstructed. Took the power valve off, and only found the gasket partially obstructing one of it's windows. The passages were clear. Replaced the gasket, and reassembled the power valve and it's cover. No vacuum leaks, and the PV is closing like it should.
What I'm doing now is letting the primary venturi assembly to soak in some carb cleaner for a few days (since Friday). All the air bleeds were clean, as were the idle jets, but I hope there were some of that 30 year old fossilized gasoline much like tar in the passages to the annular discharge venturis, and that is what is restricting the fuel flow. Really hope it will work, because if not, will park the car for some months until I have the cash to import from the U.S. a replacemente 1.08 Autolite, or a Holley 570 Street Avenger, like Charlie suggested.  Edelbroock carburetors are ready available at speed shops here, but I'm no fan of them, and my air cleaner from a 1966 Galaxie 500 7 Litre won't fit on top of it... And I had a lot of trouble getting that air cleaner, it's original, and not a modern replica. 
I think I'm just gonna cry now, thanks.

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
lovefordgalaxie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Got the Autolite working!!!!!!
The problem that was keeping the carburetor from working like it should was the primary axle and butterflies!!!!
When I first rebuilt the carburetor, I had the idle speed screw installed before installing the axle and butterflies, so I never checked to see if the butterflies were actually adjusted properly to the bores. They weren't.
Also replaced the primary axle with one from a Autolite 2100 without the kick down lever, as my car is a three on the tree. Now it works great.

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec

Reading This Topic

Site Meter