Profile Picture

Larger Carburetor...

Posted By lovefordgalaxie 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Hi guys!!
I'm currently running a Autolite 4100 with 1.08 ventures on my 292. The car is running great. I want a little more "go power" tough.

The engine was rebuilt by me back in 2010. I bored her 0.040 over, and installed a Isky E-4 cam.

I have a perfectly restored Autolite 4100 1.12 that I'm thinking about using. This one is a CAF F and is now in perfect running order.

I'm thinking about main jets? What do you think?

Thanks!! 

Túlio Lazzaroni "FORD", Florianópolis SC Brasil.

'74 Ford Galaxie 500 292 V8

'82 Ford Galaxie Landau 302 V8

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
NoShortcuts
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
GENERALLY, the Autolite 4100 1.08 is looked upon as an excellent performer for the small block (289, 302 ci) Fords.  This would be for stop-and-go, low speed performance, crisp throttle response, street and highway applications...

However, I have a recollection that there was one year ('66 ?) that the 1.08 series was considered a real 'dog'.  Apparently, some of the series were modified for emissions purposes and were even used on larger series engines like the [?] 428 [?].

What are the numbers on the base of your 1.08 carb.?  I've got some info. I can dig through from the former Pony Carburetor web site copied before it expired after owner Jon Enyeart's death in 2011 and the folding of the company.  Pony Carburetor assets apparently have since been acquired by Champion Carburetor, BUT I don't see the technical info. previously available in place on Champion's web site..

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
lovefordgalaxie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)Supercharged (388 reputation)

Thanks Charlie.
The tag on mine reads:
C52FJ
2MB
From what I can read of the data code, it's from 1965. 
My 1.12 is also from 1965.
The car responds well, has great performance in town, but I could use some more power on highway use.

Since the 1.08 is close to 500 cfm, and the 1.12 is close to 600, plus the fact that I already have the carburetor, I thought about giving it a try.
I'm using 48F Jets on the 1.08 If I use larger jets, the car gets too rich. It was a real pain to get to the right number.
Thanks again guys!!

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
jrw429
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)Supercharged (176 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
When trying to decode numbers, note that Túlio is in Brazil, with a production Ford using a 292 a decade after the USA stopped producing them. So matching up numbers may or may not work. Although being a 1965 part, when USA was still making them for FE's, it might be the same. Don't know, just wanted to flag a possible issue.

Jim - Erie Colorado, 1957 Country Sedan
PF Arcand
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Ted Eaton tested a variety of carbs on his 322" Y-Blk mule some time back. The tests were published in Y-Blk magazine, issue # 97-Mar-April 2010. As I recall, the Autolite 1.08 out performed the 1.12 version by quite a margin. I'll try to locate the test & report further..
Edited for further info; Of 16 carbs tested, the 1.08 ran 5th overall & 2nd in stock or unmodifed units. Jetting was 47p-57s. The 1.12 verson ran 8th. It was close in performance stats except torque, which was off about 4 lbs. Jets were 49p-60s. A 2nd 1.12 was tested, but it was a race modified carb & finished well down. Unfortunately exact model #s weren''t included. The 1.08 was described as a replacement version of a 1957 unit.. Special note- the original advertised flow #s of the 2 Autolites have apparently been disproven. Correct flow #s are 440 & 520 cfm. 

Paul
NoShortcuts
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

GooD information, Paul.  Thanks for digging and coming in on this.  Ted Eaton's dyno test information is more definitive than anything I was chasing.  While Tulio's engine is not the same displacement as Ted's test engine, the jet sizes for the carbs should get him in the ballpark.
Jon Enyeart, deceased owner of the former Pony Carburetor enterprise, was a staunch believer in the Autolite 4100 carburetor design.  For combination street and highway operation, he advocated that small primary four barrels provided better overall drive-ability and throttle response than those with larger primaries do.  One of the things he marketed was a reworked 4100 1.12 unit with 1.08 unit sized primary venturis or (?) venturi boosters.  -Perhaps, he was modifying both.  He claimed that this provided optimum low speed throttle response and drive-ability while yielding maximum top-end performance for street-strip applications.

Before his death, Jon claimed to be working on the manufacture of an improved 4100 design carburetor...       
jrw429's (Jim's) point is a good one, too.  Although a particular production year by Ford code, a part like a carburetor for Brazil production use is apt to be internally different (metering passageways, accelerator pump capacity, economizer [power] valve calibration, jetting) due to the fuel being used in the country.

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Ted
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago

Here is the link to the carburetor testing article that was published in the Y-Block Magazine.

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/blog/2012/09/25/four-barrel-carburetor-testing-on-the-y/ 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

lovefordgalaxie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Well, I installed the 1.12, and had really bad results. 
The car idles good, but it starves fuel at about 2000 RPM and up. 
Started with 48F main jets, the same I was using on my 1.08. Then tried 50F jets, and somehow it didn't solve the problem, only made it to appear a little latter, around 2500 RPM. The secondaries also don't want to open with the car parked.
I did a careful tune on the stop screw for the secondary butterflies, and they are not sticking to the carburetor barrel. The rebuilt kit is brand new.
Just to make things a little worse, I found a nasty crack on the base of my 1.08. One of it's "feet" is almost falling off. Maybe that was the reason it was not performing well, I think air was getting in behind it and the phenolic spacer and leaning the mixture. 
Basically, I have no usable carburetor now, and THAT is a pain...
At this point I'm considering to get a 4160 Holley 600 with manual choke and vacuum secondary, and to pray it will work on my engine, that is a 300 c.i.-Y with a E-4 Isky cam.
I'm for sure open to suggestions...

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
lovefordgalaxie
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Here goes the codes on the 1.12:
Tag:
C5AF F
C 5FD

On the base:
C5AF F

'98 Chevrolet S10 4.3 V6

'01 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec
NoShortcuts
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Sorry to hear that you've got the problem with the 1.12, Tulio.
IF you pursue getting a Holley as a replacement this web address may help you.
NOTE:  I think Holley JUST re-did their web site.  What I found this AM was QUITE different from something I referenced what seems like a few weeks ago.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/classic_holley/

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York

Reading This Topic

Site Meter