Profile Picture

Y-block rebuild topic

Posted By capri-53-54 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Thanks everybody for your replies!

As soon as I disassemble the heads the numbers and prefixes are more readable. At the moment part of the numbers are blocked by parts. I'm eager to know what type of heads are in this 317 block. Maybe it is a special. But maybe it is whisfull thinking.

Today I got one hour to spend on the engine. Here are my findings(and questions):

Today I took off the waterpump. I read on one homepage that only the waterpump and distributor is compatible with the ford y block.

I saw on one rocker shaft some stack of whashers. Could be a too long bolt or something else...

The intake manifold is taken off.

Here is a picture of the oil galley. It is a strange pushrod? Rebuilt???.

I noticed the valves were not pressed in in any way. Then I found out that allmost all pushrods could be rotated by my fingers. Then I found out I could push in the pushrods into the lifters, so this means oil pressurized lifters in 1953 and no oil left in the block. This explains the not pushed in(operated) valves.

Not much force required though to push the rod into the lifters. While rotating the pushrods I found 3 bent pushrods.

Where can I find some new parts? Or should I try to straighten the pushrods?

This element was found in the exhaust. Every restiction is loss of power in my opinion. This part is on the left side of the engine when facing the engine. What is the purpose of this thing. Should I remove it? It must be there for one reason?

Next things are:

Taking off the pushrods and heads.

Each rod will be allocated where its original position was. Are there more important points to take care of?

I'll screw loose the heads in incremental steps, just inverse of the method how you torque the heads during assembly.

I wander if I could reuse the gasket.

I'll continue after your feedback.

Regards,

stephan

Owner of lincoln '53 capri coupe and capri coupe '54

ecode ragtop
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)Supercharged (443 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Stephan, It is not the water pump, but the oil pump that is the sane as a Ford y-block, The distributor is the same as the Ford ,but the bottom gear is 1 tooth off from the Ford, so you can buy a rebuilt Ford dist.but you will have to change the gear. Hopes this helps Tom

JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD!!! TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR 57 FORD INTERNATIONAL
capri-53-54
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (17 reputation)

Hi Tom,

You are right and I am wrongWink. Here is the website: http://www.ford-y-block.com/lincoln.htm.

Good information about the gear.

Today no time to work on the engine. Todays a annual corvette meeting  ( http://www.corvette-fame.com/) we can also go with the lincoln.

Greetings Cool

capri-53-54
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi,

I've come a little bit further with taking the engine apart. I've found an old manual of my '54 lincoln and scanned some pages concerning the engine. For who could use it as well : http://www.stingray75.nl/lincoln/lincoln_stephan.pdf

Today one rocker assembly is removed and one head is removed. I still have to make pictures which will posted soon.

My first 'diagnosis' is quite some ridge in the cylinders made by the piston rings. I don't know if it is severe, but pictures will tell more.

well there is more to come soon...

Regards,

Stephan

PF Arcand
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Stephan: there is a person who goes by RB that comes on here sometimes. He is apparently very familiar with the Lincoln/truck Y-Blks. He may be of some help I believe, possibly even with parts. ?? .Another place you could write to is Y-Block Magazine @ PO Box 1005 Ottawa Illinois U.S.A.. The Editor is Bruce Young. He allows Lincoln stuff in the magazine. A possibility with your letter would be to run a brief Ad there, @ .10 Cents a word, minimum $3.00. He may print your letter also..? (note only published every 2 months, so has just come out a few days ago, so send your letter soon!) Somone ran an Ad there some time ago advertising 3 Lincoln engine available cheap.. Other stuff - the fumes you refer to may be that the Holley 4000 series carb is giving trouble, maybe the choke? Someone here may be able to advise you further on that problem.. Hope this information helps

Paul
MoonShadow
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1956-Lincoln-Y-block-engine-Ford-truck-motor-see-video-/170667095520?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bc8d35e0

Current EBAY listing. No guarentee but? Chuck in NH

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

PF Arcand
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Sorry, re previous Y-Block Magazine posting. The mailing zip code is 61350

Paul
capri-53-54
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

@ Paul,

Thanks for the advice. I'll contact them and see what is possible to the Netherlands or maybe it is digital.

@ Moonshadow

This could be an option when everything goes wrongw00t. For me it is more fun to do it myself. Learn by doing. And hopefully with your support, because its a firsttimer.

In the meantime I have some information on progress and findings:

I loosened the screws for the adjustment of each rocker and removed the whole rocker arm assembly.

Here is a picture of the valve tip which has no equal surface. I don't know if this is bad.

I'm thinking of bringing the heads to a revising company who can place hardened seats as well to eliminate leaded fuel.

The heads are loosened in incrementals steps, inverse to the normal torque procedure. The head numbers is EAD60850 or EAD6085C. Further L102 is described (julian date?). So John Mummert hit the nail on the head with EADWink

As you see, long time no use. I'll put wd40 on it tomorrow

Here is the headless engine.

There were quite some particles fallen into each cylinder. The block has never run after the sellers 'engine revision' .

The message was: Just put under the oil carter and put in some oil and it's ready to go...

I noticed a ridge where the piston rings came to the top dead center.

I can feel it very clearly with my nail. Is this severe? Could this be solved with honing? Send it for overboring?

I'm good in mm, but suck in reading inches what is the bore??

Is it original or overbored.

Good news is that it contains new lifters! This means I have to run them in at the first engine start. I've still got some edelbrock pre-lube red stuff of the corvette.

Bad thing is probably the endtip of the pushrods. The left one is representative for must of them. The left one has more contact surface and the right one is running on the edges.

This means I'll have to find probably new ones or some replacements.

This weekend I'll remove the lifters. Has no need to stack them in order because they are new.

When the lifter is removed I can check which pushrod end fits the best.

In the next days the rocker assembly will be taken apart. Today I've tried some de-greaser to remove the cooked sludge, bust no success. Next step is fuel and a brass brush.

Well that is it for now. I tried to rotate the engine in the stand and it worksTongue. With the heads on, this was not possible

Keep you informed and am curious to your replies!

Regards,

Stephan

MoonShadow
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If the clearence for the pistons and rings is good the ridge may not be a problem. They sell a ridge reamer here that is specificaly for removing it. Seems that the last refresh did not include a bore or cylinder cleanup. You will probably what to take the pistons out and check the bore diameter to see how far its worn. Measure at the top, middle and bottom and post the info here. One of our guys should be able to help. I would also look for a new set of pushrods They should be available. Check out RockAuto they have a lot of vintage parts.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?a=G-engineparts

You should probably check out the entire engine. It seems that the last rebuild may have been done on the cheap. The rods and crank should be checked for clearence and fit. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

capri-53-54
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks for the advice.

So it isn't looking that bad. I've checked out the website and the availability of parts is huge.

I'll go for new ones, but first wait until I've got a complete ordering list. The whole engine will be taken apart. They told me they changed some bearings as well. I could check everything with plasticgauge.

I know they measure the bores with a special device with a dial on it. I'll check where I can buy/borrow one. Up to now I only have venier calipers.

So to your opinion the cylinders are not overbored?

My goal is to make a decent engine which seals well to prevent carterfumes and have better milage (here a gallon is approx 10$) This engine we will put into the 54 lincoln and this engine which comes out is realy wore down.

Regards,

Stephan

Reading This Topic

Site Meter