Profile Picture

Need advice on LYB rebuild

Posted By B-rad 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
Thanks Ted. Still trying to figure out the oil pump and drive. Not sure what the drive is. I understand that I need a hex drive pump and drive for a different distributor. If you can tell me what years and makes I need to look at for the distributor, oil pump and drive. I don't know if they have to be lincoln or if Ford will do.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
This was covered but in less detail on the first page of this post.  Here’s the link.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost161471.aspx 

To add more detail, I will add that any 1955 and newer Ford Y-Block (FYB) oil pump can be used on the Lincoln Y-Block (LYB) engines.  In the case of the 1952-1954 LYB engines, the distributor will need to be changed out to accommodate the ¼” hex drive that’s used on the later model Y engines.  The hex drive is the oil pump drive shaft and is also referred to as the oil pump intermediate shaft.  This shaft fits between the distributor and the oil pump.  The oil drive shaft for the LYB engines is specific to the LYB engines as it’s longer than the one used on the FYB.

The Melling part number for the LYB oil pump drive is “IS-60A”.

Just to confuse the subject, be aware that there are two different oil pump designs out there for the FYB.  The 1954-1956 engines came from the factory with a spur gear oil pump.  Starting in 1957, the FYB engines switched to the gerotor style of pump and that became the standard for all Ford V8 engines after that.  What happened in the aftermarket was the replacement pumps continued to being made in the spur gear design so what you buy now new for the Ford Y is going to be a spur gear pump and not the gerotor design.  Both pumps are interchangeable and suitable for daily drivers so no issue there.  For any high performance and/or high speed driving, then the gerotor pump is typically recommended.  Melling still offers the rebuild kits for the gerotor oil pumps and on occasion I do still come across an inventory of the original NOS Ford gerotor pumps for the Ford Y.

Here the link showing how to identify the two different styles of oil pumps.

Ford Y-Block Oil Pumps – Eaton Balancing

While it’s not a Kosher solution, the slotted end of the early oil pump drive and the hex end of the later model oil drive can be grafted together so that the early oil pump and the later model distributor can be used.  Or using the original slotted or tang distributor with the later model oil pump.  I have done similar recently where I put a 240 Ford Six distributor in a Ford 223 engine and that required an intermediate shaft with a ¼” hex drive on one engine and a 5/16” hex drive on the other.  Lots of different ways to approach a problem.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter