Profile Picture

Need advice on LYB rebuild

Posted By B-rad 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
B-rad.. I have a Lincoln 4bbl truck manifold I would sell..  
B-rad
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I'm sure you have read my issue, are you certain that it's what I need in order to use a non stock carb? I'm really confused about these parts. Can you post a pic and what you want for it?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
darrell
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
you have been given all the info you need for the correct parts.RB has the intake you want.
RB
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I'll send you a picture if you give me an email... I have built quite a few Lincolns so I know it will fit.. $150.
B-rad
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

RB, I sent you my email, do you know where I can get pistons also?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
B-rad
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

After calculating the cost of shipping, how difficult is it to get or make an adapter for the original intake for a newer carb?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
B-rad (6/28/2022)
After calculating the cost of shipping, how difficult is it to get or make an adapter for the original intake for a newer carb?

On my end, carb adapters are not that difficult to make.  When available for a specific application, they are less expensive when considering the time involved to make them.  Speedway Motors offers the carb adapter you need.

Holley/Edelbrock to Carter WCFB 4-Barrel Carburetor Adapter Plate (speedwaymotors.com)
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fc5e68f0-9f2b-44a2-aa48-3961.jpg  

Here’s an example of a spacer that was made for a Ford 223 six cylinder so that a late model 4V carb could be used on a Clifford intake manifold.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/66307560-1bd0-4ec9-96f2-3de2.jpg  

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

B-rad
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted, in your opinion, are there disadvantages to using the adapter?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
B-rad
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Or advantages to using the truck intake?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
B-rad (6/30/2022)
Ted, in your opinion, are there disadvantages to using the adapter?

B-rad (6/30/2022)
Or advantages to using the truck intake?

For normal idle and driving, using an adapter is not an issue as idle and normal driving/cruising will not be affected.

Disadvantages of using an adapter would include the potential for vacuum leaks as you are adding another carburetor gasket to the mix.  The aftermarket adapters are reasonably thin and therefore more easily warped compounding the gasket sealing issue. In most cases and when using new parts (adapter and gaskets) leakage is not an issue.  If making your own adapter, it can be made more robust than the store bought units thus eliminating the potential for warpage.  From a performance standpoint, full throttle performance will be compromised simply due to the restriction in the original manifold.  If hood clearance is an issue, then the adapter does raise the carburetor and may be just tall enough to prevent using an additional spacer under the carburetor to help isolate the carburetor from the manifold to help with any ‘heat soak’ issues. 

Advantages to using the truck intake would include less carburetor gaskets to contend with, a lower mounting carburetor which may allow the use of additional spacers for isolating the carb from the manifold so it can run cooler, and increased air flow for the new carburetor which would enhance full throttle performance.  When given the choice, using the truck manifold with the newer carburetor would be the appropriate route.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter