Profile Picture

Need advice on LYB rebuild

Posted By B-rad 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Since I bought my 54 Lincoln Capri, I've been asking a lot of questions on here. A lot of them were a bit vague, just trying to figure out what I have.
Now, the engine, a 317, is at the machine shop looking good. I cracked the distributor getting it out but the carb was missing when I bought the car so I was planning on using a more modern carb, using a different distributor and changing the gear on the bottom. I was told a few things on here regarding this issue but didn't keep track of what was said. Like I said, I was asking a lot of questions and getting a lot of answers. I am now at the point of getting work done on the engine so I am trying to get more specific.
Besides changing the distributor I need to get the cylinders bored. The mechanic said he's looking for.030 oversized 317 pistons or possibly bore it out for 341 pistons.
I'd like to know what to look for as far as a different distributor. What years, make and motor size to get it from.
Then the pistons. Can Lincoln 341 pistons work on this 317 motor using existing crank and connecting rods?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
darrell
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
341 pistons will work same crank and rods.you can use a y block ford dist,if you change the gear.57 and up.a modern carb is not going to fit your intake.you will have to use an adapter or get an intake of a newer truck.the lyb was used in heavy trucks till 63.these later ones had an intake that would take a holley 
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
If going with a more modern carburetor, then the distributor will need to be upgraded to the 1957 and newer style that incorporates both a mechanical and vacuum feature.  The original LOM (Load-O-Matic) distributors are calibrated for use with the earlier carburetors that incorporated a venturi assisted vacuum signal along with a spark advance valve.  That spark advance valve is located on the outside of those earlier carbs and looks similar to the ‘power’ valve that’s located internally on the newer carbs.  There was no mechanical advance feature on the LOM distributors.  The earlier Teapot carbs can be modified for use with the newer distributors if so desired.  Here’s the link to the article on modifying the earlier Teapot carbs for use with the later model distributors.

Modifying the Holley Teapot four barrel carb for late model distributors – Eaton Balancing  

For a daily driver, a carb adapter on the earlier ‘Teapot’ intake manifold will allow the use of a newer ‘modern’ carb.  As Darrel mentions, the later model 302 and 332 LYB truck intakes will allow the use of a modern 4V carb without an adapter.

The ’54 engines used a tang style distributor to accommodate the slotted shaft oil drive and oil pump.  If going with a modern distributor, the 1955 and later model ¼” hex drive oil pump and oil drive shaft will need to be used.  Those pieces will interchange with the original parts without modifications.  If using a Ford Y distributor, the distributor gear will need to be swapped out with the original LYB distributor gear.  I currently don’t have a LYB distributor here to verify if the LYB gear is the same as the Ford FE engines but I’m told the 390 (Ford FE) gears are the same.

The MSD #8383 distributor for a FYB will work on the LYB engines if changing out the distributor gear.  Always measure the distributor cavity in the block so that any replacement distributor gears can be placed on the shaft in the appropriate position.  I have found some FYB blocks machined on the ‘short’ side of specification and I suspect there may have been some LYB blocks machined similarly.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

RB
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
A 317 should be able to be bored to 341. Those blocks are quite thick.. Since the stroke is the same on the 317 and 341 no other changes should be necessary.. Change the oil pimp and distributor when you do the build. A rebuilt 57 and up FYB distributor with the Lincoln gear will work well. You can add a Pertronix if you want to eliminate points..  I prefer the truck manifold vs adapting the 317 version.. Neither one are considered high performance, But that's about the best you can do with factory stuff
hjh
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
B-rad    Look in the classified heading    Harry
Truck 4 V Lincoln intake (y-blocksforever.com) 
B-rad
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)Supercharged (645 reputation)

Hjh, you selling the f600 intake? Anybody know if that'll work on my 317 LYB?

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri
55blacktie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I posted a reply in Classified. Unless the F600 has a 332, it's highly unlikely; it's probably a 292, which won't fit. The 292, like the 239, 272, and 312, has stacked intake ports. The 317 has inline ports. Ask the seller to send a photo of the intake ports.
Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

B-rad (6/27/2022)
The oil pump and drive needs to be a Ford or lincoln? Someone is selling a 4v intake from a 63 f600. Do you know if that'll work on my LYB?

The FYB and LYB oil pumps are interchangeable.  For the hex drive pump, it would 1955 and newer.

The oil drive is LYB specific.  The Melling number for the LYB hex intermediate shaft (oil drive) is “IS-60A”.

Ted
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

B-rad (6/27/2022)
Hjh, you selling the f600 intake? Anybody know if that'll work on my 317 LYB?

The 1952-1963 LYB engines take the same intake manifold gaskets so the chances are very good for the 1958-1963 4V 302/332 intake manifold fitting the earlier 317/341 engines. The Best Gasket p/n for the LYB intake manifold gasket set is “17020E”.

B-rad
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Ted. You the man. I know I can get the right info from you.

Brad
Sierra Vista Arizona
1954 Lincoln Capri

Reading This Topic

Site Meter