Profile Picture

How To Tell a Forged Crank from a Cast Crank

Posted By Oldmics 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Oldmics (2/17/2014)
Have to stamp XE on it in a few places for the premium loot factor.

While I fully anticipate it to be a cast unit , it had a different look to it than I have previously seen in many other 312 engines that I have disassembled.

It is a look that I couldn't quite place,as in maybe a different amount of counterweights.

If its a steel unit my preference would be to build a seriously super engine. Not sure what I really will do BUT no sense in counting any chickens before they hatch.

I"ll post up the final verdict

Oldmics

Go back to earlier posts here and you may be a bit clearer on the subject.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Oldmics
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Have to stamp XE on it in a few places for the premium loot factor.

While I fully anticipate it to be a cast unit , it had a different look to it than I have previously seen in many other 312 engines that I have disassembled.

It is a look that I couldn't quite place,as in maybe a different amount of counterweights.

If its a steel unit my preference would be to build a seriously super engine. Not sure what I really will do BUT no sense in counting any chickens before they hatch.

I"ll post up the final verdict

Oldmics

NoShortcuts
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
From what I can gather, Oldmics, if you've come-up with a forged 312 crank, you can likely advertise viewing hours with a donation required for the privilege.

After the viewing hours have run their course, the crank could be offered on eBay.

Using some old barn wood, square nails and the lettering / numbering stencils I've got, we could make-up an 'original' FoMoCo shipping box and label it with the part number CITE 6303 $FX$ I'm not sure what the eBay reserve should be set at...

I bet it would cause some crazy bidding... and you could retire to the land of 86 degree wind chills that you're enduring today. Rolleyes

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
marvh
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

The only reason 312's exist in Canadian trucks is that the Ranchero's and Sedan Deliveries are licensed in Canada as a truck not as a car.
marv
Oldmics
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Its an ECZ main capped engine. That much I did inspect.

I knew about the casting lines on a cast unit but also had heard of the differences in the counter weights which I wanted to understand.

Once I get home I will see exactly what I have.

Oldmics
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
john no Canadian 60 mercs had a 312.trucks with 312s did exist but where would you find them today.312 forged cranks are starting to remind me of bigfoot.
pegleg
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago

Oldmics Wind chill of 86* here today[/quote]

I didn't really need to hear that!Ermm

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Last Week
Frank:

There have been rumors that some Canadian 312 '60 Mercurys had forged cranks. I have never seen documentation or that though.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
NoShortcuts
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Oldmics (2/17/2014)
Crank is still in the engine.

Oldmics Wind chill of 86* here today

Well, it's 6 below here with NO wind chill, but I'll write you anyway, John

WHEN you get home, check the main bearing caps. Letters are on the top surface of the caps between the bolts. EBUs are 292, ECZs are 312. Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Oldmics
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Crank is still in the engine.

The color differences explained are difficult to ascertain since everything inside is a grey color.

Worst part of this mystery is that I pulled the pan off the engine the night before I left for vacation (in a wonderfully warm place).

So the answer wont be revealed for another 3 weeks once I get home - Sorry gang!

Oldmics Wind chill of 86* here today

Reading This Topic

Site Meter