Profile Picture

Temperature gauge

Posted By slick56 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I would like to install an aftermarket temp gauge in addition to the factory gauge, where would be a good (easy) place for the sender unit?

I thought of either in one of the block drain plugs, or the unused plug on the water pump.

South Australia

The Horvaths
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Does your intake manifold have a tapped hole near the thermostat?
skygazer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Before I installed a heater, I installed the sender for an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge in the heater fitting on the top of the manifold. This worked pretty well.

When I got around to installing the heater, I put a tee fitting in the rubber bypass line under the thermostat... I used a copper tee, and brazed in a threaded adapter for the sending unit. It would just fit in the middle of the rubber hose, with extra clamps on each end. This was pretty simple and cheap, but the temperature readings seemed a little low. Then again, it may just be the cheap gauge.

I eventually drilled and tapped a hole in the manifold near the heater fitting. It may not look stock, but it is about as direct a temperature reading as I can get.
slick56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

The Horvaths (1/16/2014)
Does your intake manifold have a tapped hole near the thermostat?

Yes, that is where the heater hose plumbs into.

South Australia

marvh
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

Here is a previous discussion on installing an additional guage.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic78534.aspx

marv
slick56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

marvh (1/16/2014)

marv

Thanks Marv, I searched the posts but never thought to look for "sensor".

I have a B manifold, am a bit reluctant to modify a good original part?

Is that a Mummert manifold on yours?

South Australia

dbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

I added a threaded insert to the right head instead of the cup plug by the distributor. Easy, no drilling, removable and fairly cheap, about $15 from Mac's, other Thunderbird suppliers probably have them for about the same price, though shipping might be an issue.
marvh
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

slick56 (1/16/2014)
marvh (1/16/2014)

marv

Thanks Marv, I searched the posts but never thought to look for "sensor".

I have a B manifold, am a bit reluctant to modify a good original part?

Is that a Mummert manifold on yours?

Yes It is a Mummert manifold.
slick56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

dbird (1/16/2014)
I added a threaded insert to the right head instead of the cup plug by the distributor. Easy, no drilling, removable and fairly cheap, about $15 from Mac's, other Thunderbird suppliers probably have them for about the same price, though shipping might be an issue.

Is the right head already threaded in that position (under the plug)?

South Australia

slick56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

slick56 (1/17/2014)
dbird (1/16/2014)

Is the right head already threaded in that position (under the plug)?

Sorry dbird. mis-read reply.

South Australia

Reading This Topic

Site Meter