Profile Picture

Water Temp Sensor

Posted By Richard 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
The current location of the water temp sensor in my engine is rear right head under the distributor. Its in the way. The left head is plugged and punched in.

I want to put it on the water pump or the intake manifold, note brass plugs. Any comment on which is better.

Thanks

Rich

oldcarmark
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
The intake manifold just back of the stat housing is a better choice than the water pump.I have my secondary mechanical gauge sender just to the left of the heater hose connector which I see you have plugged.I had to drill and tap to install mine.Looks like you could use the plugged outlet on the manifold.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
marvh
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

Here is how I did for my temp sender for the fuel injection. I drilled and tapped the manifold on the water cross over between the two heads behind the themostat housing

marv

skygazer
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
My electric sensor is in the stock left-rear location, but I also use a mechanical temp gauge... mainly because I don't fully trust the old electric gauge yet. Before I had a heater in the car, I put the mechanical sender in the heater hole on the manifold, and it seemed to be pretty accurate.

I've since installed a heater, and moved the mechanical sensor to a tee fitting in the water pump recirc line, just below the thermostat housing. It still works, but seems to read a little low. If I had to do it again, I'd drill the manifold and install it there.
The Master Cylinder
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
skygazer (1/18/2013)
My electric sensor is in the stock left-rear location, but I also use a mechanical temp gauge...

I put my mechanical gauge in the stock position and the stock sender in the rear of the right head.

A guy I know has his mechanical gauge in the stock position, thermal switch for the electric fan in the rear of the right head and the stock one in the water pump (where the PS bracket attaches). w00t

Richard, not sure what you mean by "The left head is plugged and punched in. Ermm"

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Richard (1/10/2013)
The current location of the water temp sensor in my engine is rear right head under the distributor. Its in the way. The left head is plugged and punched in.
I want to put it on the water pump or the intake manifold, note brass plugs. Any comment on which is better.
Thanks
Rich
The normal location for the factory installed temp sending unit is in the left head at the rear.  With the ‘punched in’ description you give, it sounds like the left head simply has an expansion plug in the hole.  Removing the expansion plug and installing the correct threaded bung within the hole would give you more room for a temperature sending unit.  But.... more accurate temperature readings are obtained by placing the sensor units at the front of the intake just before the coolant exits through the thermostat.  If the temperature sensor is installed in the water pump, it will be reading the temperature of the coolant entering the engine rather that the temperature of the coolant leaving.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter