Temperature gauge

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic98853.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By slick56 - 10 Years Ago
I would like to install an aftermarket temp gauge in addition to the factory gauge, where would be a good (easy) place for the sender unit?

I thought of either in one of the block drain plugs, or the unused plug on the water pump.
By The Horvaths - 10 Years Ago
Does your intake manifold have a tapped hole near the thermostat?
By skygazer - 10 Years Ago
Before I installed a heater, I installed the sender for an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge in the heater fitting on the top of the manifold. This worked pretty well.

When I got around to installing the heater, I put a tee fitting in the rubber bypass line under the thermostat... I used a copper tee, and brazed in a threaded adapter for the sending unit. It would just fit in the middle of the rubber hose, with extra clamps on each end. This was pretty simple and cheap, but the temperature readings seemed a little low. Then again, it may just be the cheap gauge.

I eventually drilled and tapped a hole in the manifold near the heater fitting. It may not look stock, but it is about as direct a temperature reading as I can get.
The Horvaths (1/16/2014)
Does your intake manifold have a tapped hole near the thermostat?

Yes, that is where the heater hose plumbs into.
By marvh - 10 Years Ago
Here is a previous discussion on installing an additional guage.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic78534.aspx

marv
marvh (1/16/2014)

marv

Thanks Marv, I searched the posts but never thought to look for "sensor".

I have a B manifold, am a bit reluctant to modify a good original part?

Is that a Mummert manifold on yours?
By dbird - 10 Years Ago
I added a threaded insert to the right head instead of the cup plug by the distributor. Easy, no drilling, removable and fairly cheap, about $15 from Mac's, other Thunderbird suppliers probably have them for about the same price, though shipping might be an issue.
By marvh - 10 Years Ago
slick56 (1/16/2014)
marvh (1/16/2014)

marv

Thanks Marv, I searched the posts but never thought to look for "sensor".

I have a B manifold, am a bit reluctant to modify a good original part?

Is that a Mummert manifold on yours?

Yes It is a Mummert manifold.
dbird (1/16/2014)
I added a threaded insert to the right head instead of the cup plug by the distributor. Easy, no drilling, removable and fairly cheap, about $15 from Mac's, other Thunderbird suppliers probably have them for about the same price, though shipping might be an issue.

Is the right head already threaded in that position (under the plug)?

slick56 (1/17/2014)
dbird (1/16/2014)

Is the right head already threaded in that position (under the plug)?

Sorry dbird. mis-read reply.
By vntgtrk - 10 Years Ago
What about using the xtra fitting in the water pump? I'll be using the stock fitting on the LH head in the back for my temp gauge and the one on the pump for my electric fan thermostat. Am I off base doing that? Maybe a T in the stock location?
I think that your fan sensor would read too cold for the fan to come on.

This is a post from Ted re water pump sensor

The normal location for the factory installed temp sending unit is in the left head at the rear. With the ‘punched in’ description you give, it sounds like the left head simply has an expansion plug in the hole. Removing the expansion plug and installing the correct threaded bung within the hole would give you more room for a temperature sending unit. But.... more accurate temperature readings are obtained by placing the sensor units at the front of the intake just before the coolant exits through the thermostat. If the temperature sensor is installed in the water pump, it will be reading the temperature of the coolant entering the engine rather that the temperature of the coolant leaving.   

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

By vntgtrk - 10 Years Ago
Thanks slick