Profile Picture

56 Ford Y-Block powered "Gasser" build up

Posted By Lancer 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I picked up this car about a year ago a few blocks from my house (Modesto Ca.). I had seen it on Craigs list. It was pretty straight, no engine, trans, windshield or bumpers, oh and no papers. I made him an offer but he wasn't as negotiable as I needed him to be. After texting back and forth over a couple of months he gave me one of those bring me the money today kind of offers, I couldn't pass it up.

There were already projects at home so I really didn't want to look at it so it was hauled out to the parents house. Out of mind, out of site. It worked okay til mid summer. My son was turning 16 and I thought this would be a great father son build. That lasted a very short time, he's just not into 50's cars.

I had no interest in selling it and thought about different ways it could be done. During this time I had blown the engine in my '57 Ford wagon. The original 292 gave up the ghost. This lead me down a very interesting road which allowed me to cross paths with Charlie Burns and Tim McMaster. Charlie had an engine that Tim had built and he was looking for some cash to throw at his land speed car. This was perfect for me as you know, Y-Blocks are a little harder to come by than say, well just about everything. The wagon is now back on the road THANK GOD after three months off the road and is much peppier than the stocker it had in it.

Back to the '56, it was originally a Y-Block V8/auto car. So, maybe put a Y back in it?? I had a few other engine choices, a 460 and also a blown small block scruby, but after talking to TIM McMASTER the Y just seemed right =). There are still many things to sort out but the main goal is in place. Build a gasser the way it would have been built back in the day. Not a huge thumper motor but a small, high winding Y.

The car will get an upgrade to a four speed, an early top loader. I'm still looking for one of those. Nothing has been touched on it since I drug it home, but that will be changing very soon. The rear diff will bean early Mopar 8.75 that had been set up as a three link, has Moser axles a spool and 4.11s which may be swapped out for set of 4.56s. That old three link stuff will be cut away as we lay plans for the ladder bars. There is a chance this could be replaced with a 9" if one avails itself, which would make it a truly 100% Ford Build.

Covering the Eagle Field Drag racing events over the years sparked the initial idea to build an 8th mile drag car. Shooting for the first event for 2015.

Motor will be a 272 block, with some HD rods I found on here. More to come.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/3c178224-0fa9-4b65-9c79-67d8.jpg

Donor car is a 56 Customline thats in pretty decent shape. I'll be selling off a bunch of stuff I wont be using if anyone is interested. The 8" will be going and also the seats, windows and more.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/f8618829-4a9c-4bc0-8ccf-63b5.jpg

This will be used for parts, this was the 292 out of my 57 Wagon.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/4be849c6-3522-45a1-bb09-379e.jpg

This is the current rear I have, Moser axles, spool, 4.11s all new parts. If I find a 9" this will be for sale as well.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/f78853a5-c39c-4d3d-b37c-5ac4.jpg

Sorry for the bad photo, was dark at the machine shop and no flash. This is the block. Vintage 272 ECG casting .125 overbore.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/54187b7e-a381-4b98-99bf-1a3b.jpg

Here are the HD rods fresh from the hot tank. These will work great on our little buzz motor.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/b6f9416f-5202-4daa-a210-01d0.jpg

Just check my rockers and they are the high ratio type, which is great. Less parts chasing to do.

Thats about it for now. Stay tuned.

www.speednchrome.com
Facebook
Instagram
NoShortcuts
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Sounds like you're off and running, Lance.

What are the cylinder heads on the blown 292 engine that came out of the '57 wagon?

From the front view of the engine, the casting parting line makes me think not ECZ-Gs...

Best Wishes! Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Lancer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)Supercharged (502 reputation)

I am searching for heads right now. The ones on the 57 motor are not original. Good eye.

I have a line on some 312 heads locally. Should have more info soon on them.

www.speednchrome.com
Facebook
Instagram
57FordPU
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Looks great Lance. This will be a fun build to watch and even more fun to watch it terrorize Eagle Field.

Charlie Burns Laton, Ca (South of Fresno)

BurnsRacing981@gmail.com
speedpro56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Lancer, if those are the 113s then you have the best ford heads out there for all around building.

-Gary Burnette-

pegleg
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
That's gonna be neat.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Lancer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I am working a deal on some heads now and hope it all fall in line. Just waiting to see if they are posted heads or not. Hoping to confirm this weekend. I did get some parts ordered, stud kit for the main and heads, timing set and push rods. Should also get info on a four speed thats local that may work as well. He's supposed to be getting that checked.

Still looking for a bell housing and a "B" intake. But I may contact one of my fellow fabricators and have them built me an intake. We'll see how that works out.

This weekend we will be pulling some of the front end apart and getting measurements for the straight axle so I'll have a few pics to post up. If anyone is looking for 56 Ford parts, drop me a line, there will be a lot of stuff coming off the car that won't be used.

www.speednchrome.com
Facebook
Instagram
Lancer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/7cefc985-e1a3-4d80-90d0-688c.JPGIn the machine ready to start.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/e59f94d8-d380-411f-89fc-c71b.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/bde3f3c8-2dc3-4e0a-96bc-a5c5.JPG

www.speednchrome.com
Facebook
Instagram
dbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

I'm in Modesto also and will be needing a machine shop before long and was wondering which one you're using.

Don
Lancer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

If your building a Yblock I'd use Tim McMaster. He's down in Visalia. http://yblockguy.com/

One of the best in the Modesto area would be Valley Balancing & Machine.

Valley Balancing & Machine

1900 Herndon Rd
Ceres, CA 95307
(209) 538-8956

www.speednchrome.com
Facebook
Instagram

Reading This Topic

Site Meter