Profile Picture

50 amp 12volt generator

Posted By DualQuad312 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Hi I'm inquiring about a 50amp generator. I, have a '59 ford skyliner and I, believe Ford offered a 50amp. gen. for the cars with air conditioning and cars that were taxi cabs. If any one has one or knows of someone one who does please contact me at wabate@verizon.net... My name is Bill.

Best Reg. Bill Abate
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
According to my '49-'59 Ford parts manual, non-AC cars had 30 amp generators and AC cars had 35 amp. I saw no 50 amp generators listed for any 12 volt Fords up to '59.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
DualQuad312
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Hey John, Thanks for the input....I'll e-mail my dad and ask. I have the books too. But I, l, know he just picked up a 50amp. Reg. this past summer, N.O.S. I'll see if I, can get some more info...

Jeff
NoShortcuts
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hi Bill,

I'm suspicious that the generator was a police equipment unit. I've got photocopies of a '50s Ford parts catalog list of police specific components that a friend sent me this past Fall, but I can't put my hands on it tonight.

It may be a couple days, but I'll get back to you one way or the other on what I find after I locate the catalog listing...

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
alanfreeman
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
In 1954 and 1955 Ford made a heavy duty 50 amp 6 volt generator that was used on Ford police cars as well as Mercurys and Lincolns with air conditioning. There was also a matching 50 amp regulator that went with the generator. I have this 50 amp generator on the engine that came out of my 1954 Ford Mainline California Highway Patrol police car. The 50 amp generator is about an inch longer in length than the standard 35 or 40 amp Ford/Mercury generators and requires a special upper mounting bracket. If they made a 50 amp generator/regulator in '54-'55 for police and air conditioned cars there would seem to be little doubt that they also made 12 volt versions for post '56 cars although I don't have a '56 and later Chassis Manual to verify this. Alan S. Freeman
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
I believe the police 12 volt cars used a Leece-Neville alternator in place of the generator. Not sure of the amp rating, probably well north of 35 amp. Those early tube type police radios used a lot of power.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
junkyardjeff
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
You might want to look at a Lincoln for that large generator.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
Teros292
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)Supercharged (150 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
My part book says that there was 30, 35 (with AC), 40, 50 and 60 amp 12 volt generators. All these were from 56 to 59. Generators were made by Ford, Bosch and Autolite. And then there was 50 and 100 amp 12 volt alternators.

Tero from Nurmijarvi, Finland
56 Country Sedan, 61 F-100, 61 F-600, 55 F-620, 52 Mercury

marvh
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I have seen the 50 amp and 60 amp generators on school buses and utility company service trucks that had two-way radios. They were huge and heavy with dual belts.

If I remember correctly they used two sets of brushes installed side to side so had very long commutator bars for these dual brushes to run on.
pegleg
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Dual Quad, Consider an alternator conversion. Paint it black and only a concours judge will notice.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter