Profile Picture

50 amp 12volt generator

Posted By DualQuad312 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

Frank's suggestion of using the alternator has merit. My sense is that while Forum members appreciate and enjoy their rides, most of us are not married to things being production original.

Updating things whether it is swapping out Loadomatic distributors for newer units with centrifugal & vacuum advance, switching from distributor ignition points to electronic modules, or swapping transmissions is done to make the ride more trouble free, hassle-free, reliable, and enjoyable.

My recollection is that generators do not charge at engine idle while alternators do. Unless you are involved in concours competition, what advantage is there to using a generator instead of an alternator?

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
DualQuad312
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Thanks Frank,

that is a possibility......Appreciate everyone's help with this and all the comments and thoughts.....I'd like to see a car that actually has a 50 or 60 amp system installed in it, cause it seems to big to fit....at least the voltage regulator does :-)

Jeff
marvh
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

Here is a pic of a Ford 3G 130 amp alternator installation I did on my 56.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/3aa7890e-67ad-4cf0-a76a-4310.JPGmarv
NoShortcuts
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

ON HUNDRED and THIRTY amp alternator!!! Marv, WHAT are you powering??? w00t

Nice installation... Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
slick56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

NoShortcuts (1/11/2014)
ON HUNDRED and THIRTY amp alternator!!! Marv, WHAT are you powering??? w00t

A welder i reckon....

South Australia

marvh
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

I have fuel injection on the engine, a FAST setup, which requires an electric fuel pump in the tank and electrical for the fuel injection. I also towed a trailer which used 12 volt DC for the fridge and to charge the trailer battery.

I am planning on installing AC sometime in the future so will need the extra amperage.

I used the Ford 3G alternator because it is internal regulated and much simpler to wire also has been improved engineered better than the previous 1G's or 2G Ford alternators known for burnt wires and fires. The mounting brackets are from a late 64 Ford pickup with a 292 and alternator.

The 3G is miles ahead of the GM alternators in quality.
marv
pegleg
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
[b]

The 3G is miles ahead of the GM alternators in quality.
marv

That wouldn't be difficult.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

DualQuad312
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)Supercharged (189 reputation)

Thank you for posting the picture.....Looks good.... :-)
alanfreeman
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
DualQuad...here are two pictures of the 50 amp generator on the engine that came out of my '54 Ford Mainline police car. The 50 amp looks pretty much like the 30/35 amp except that the case is about an inch longer. Alan S. Freeman
Attachments
P1010001.JPG (360 views, 344.00 KB)
P1010002.JPG (372 views, 374.00 KB)
DualQuad312
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hey Allan,

Thank you for taking the time to post the pictures....Looks good :-) Say do you think you could measure the diam. of the stud that's on the back plate? Typically it's a 5/16" stud.... Thanks Allan for your time :-)

Jeff

Reading This Topic

Site Meter