50 amp 12volt generator

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic98666.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By DualQuad312 - 10 Years Ago
Hi I'm inquiring about a 50amp generator. I, have a '59 ford skyliner and I, believe Ford offered a 50amp. gen. for the cars with air conditioning and cars that were taxi cabs. If any one has one or knows of someone one who does please contact me at wabate@verizon.net... My name is Bill.

Best Reg. Bill Abate
By Hoosier Hurricane - 10 Years Ago
According to my '49-'59 Ford parts manual, non-AC cars had 30 amp generators and AC cars had 35 amp. I saw no 50 amp generators listed for any 12 volt Fords up to '59.
Hey John, Thanks for the input....I'll e-mail my dad and ask. I have the books too. But I, l, know he just picked up a 50amp. Reg. this past summer, N.O.S. I'll see if I, can get some more info...

Jeff
By NoShortcuts - 10 Years Ago
Hi Bill,

I'm suspicious that the generator was a police equipment unit. I've got photocopies of a '50s Ford parts catalog list of police specific components that a friend sent me this past Fall, but I can't put my hands on it tonight.

It may be a couple days, but I'll get back to you one way or the other on what I find after I locate the catalog listing...
By alanfreeman - 10 Years Ago
In 1954 and 1955 Ford made a heavy duty 50 amp 6 volt generator that was used on Ford police cars as well as Mercurys and Lincolns with air conditioning. There was also a matching 50 amp regulator that went with the generator. I have this 50 amp generator on the engine that came out of my 1954 Ford Mainline California Highway Patrol police car. The 50 amp generator is about an inch longer in length than the standard 35 or 40 amp Ford/Mercury generators and requires a special upper mounting bracket. If they made a 50 amp generator/regulator in '54-'55 for police and air conditioned cars there would seem to be little doubt that they also made 12 volt versions for post '56 cars although I don't have a '56 and later Chassis Manual to verify this. Alan S. Freeman
By Hoosier Hurricane - 10 Years Ago
I believe the police 12 volt cars used a Leece-Neville alternator in place of the generator. Not sure of the amp rating, probably well north of 35 amp. Those early tube type police radios used a lot of power.
By junkyardjeff - 10 Years Ago
You might want to look at a Lincoln for that large generator.
By Teros292 - 10 Years Ago
My part book says that there was 30, 35 (with AC), 40, 50 and 60 amp 12 volt generators. All these were from 56 to 59. Generators were made by Ford, Bosch and Autolite. And then there was 50 and 100 amp 12 volt alternators.
By marvh - 10 Years Ago
I have seen the 50 amp and 60 amp generators on school buses and utility company service trucks that had two-way radios. They were huge and heavy with dual belts.

If I remember correctly they used two sets of brushes installed side to side so had very long commutator bars for these dual brushes to run on.
By pegleg - 10 Years Ago
Dual Quad, Consider an alternator conversion. Paint it black and only a concours judge will notice.

Frank's suggestion of using the alternator has merit. My sense is that while Forum members appreciate and enjoy their rides, most of us are not married to things being production original.

Updating things whether it is swapping out Loadomatic distributors for newer units with centrifugal & vacuum advance, switching from distributor ignition points to electronic modules, or swapping transmissions is done to make the ride more trouble free, hassle-free, reliable, and enjoyable.

My recollection is that generators do not charge at engine idle while alternators do. Unless you are involved in concours competition, what advantage is there to using a generator instead of an alternator?

Thanks Frank,

that is a possibility......Appreciate everyone's help with this and all the comments and thoughts.....I'd like to see a car that actually has a 50 or 60 amp system installed in it, cause it seems to big to fit....at least the voltage regulator does :-)

Jeff
By marvh - 10 Years Ago
Here is a pic of a Ford 3G 130 amp alternator installation I did on my 56.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/3aa7890e-67ad-4cf0-a76a-4310.JPGmarv
ON HUNDRED and THIRTY amp alternator!!! Marv, WHAT are you powering??? w00t

Nice installation... Smile
By slick56 - 10 Years Ago
NoShortcuts (1/11/2014)
ON HUNDRED and THIRTY amp alternator!!! Marv, WHAT are you powering??? w00t

A welder i reckon....

By marvh - 10 Years Ago
I have fuel injection on the engine, a FAST setup, which requires an electric fuel pump in the tank and electrical for the fuel injection. I also towed a trailer which used 12 volt DC for the fridge and to charge the trailer battery.

I am planning on installing AC sometime in the future so will need the extra amperage.

I used the Ford 3G alternator because it is internal regulated and much simpler to wire also has been improved engineered better than the previous 1G's or 2G Ford alternators known for burnt wires and fires. The mounting brackets are from a late 64 Ford pickup with a 292 and alternator.

The 3G is miles ahead of the GM alternators in quality.
marv
By pegleg - 10 Years Ago
[b]

The 3G is miles ahead of the GM alternators in quality.
marv

That wouldn't be difficult.
Thank you for posting the picture.....Looks good.... :-)
DualQuad...here are two pictures of the 50 amp generator on the engine that came out of my '54 Ford Mainline police car. The 50 amp looks pretty much like the 30/35 amp except that the case is about an inch longer. Alan S. Freeman
Hey Allan,

Thank you for taking the time to post the pictures....Looks good :-) Say do you think you could measure the diam. of the stud that's on the back plate? Typically it's a 5/16" stud.... Thanks Allan for your time :-)

Jeff
Jeff, do you mean the bolts that hold the generator housing to the bracket? Alan
By pegleg - 10 Years Ago
Marv, How do you like the FAST system? Easy to tune?
By marvh - 10 Years Ago
pegleg (1/26/2014)
Marv, How do you like the FAST system? Easy to tune?

Really good, the idle is unbelievable, you can hear every cylinder firing the same as the other, fuel economy is steady about +22 mpg running 70 mph with 3.25 rear end. I am going to install a 3.00 this spring as I sold my trailer so don't need the lower ratio for towing power anymore so should get even better mileage.

Tuning is simple just follow the instructions and it has a learning feature.

The only problem I have had so far with the Fast system was with the TPS which did not have the rubber moisture seal on the wiring harness plugin. It got wet when I washed the engine. I installed a new TPS, found the plugin seal in the kit box loose, installed it and have had no other problems.

I would never go back to a carburetor system now.
NoShortcuts (1/8/2014)
Hi Bill,

I'm suspicious that the generator was a police equipment unit. I've got photocopies of a '50s Ford parts catalog list of police specific components that a friend sent me this past Fall, but I can't put my hands on it tonight.

It may be a couple days, but I'll get back to you one way or the other on what I find after I locate the catalog listing...

Sorry for the delay on this, Bill. January 8th WAS a while ago.

The ‘1955-56-57 Ford passenger car and Thunderbird Chassis Parts and Accessories Catalog’ has the following listing for passenger car applications (no ‘Bird) with all engines (6 and 8 cylinder) on page 328:

-56/ 15 volt 60 amp.generator part no. B6A 10002-B to be used with a B5C 10505-A regulator

-56/ 15 volt 50 amp.generator part no. B6A 10002-D to be used with a B6A 10505-C regulator

-56/ 15 volt 60 amp.generator part no. B6A 10002-G to be used with a B6C 10505-A regulator

The ‘1949-1959 Ford Car Parts and Accessories Text Catalog’ has the following listing for passenger car applications with all engines (6 and 8 cylinder) on page 507:

-56/59 B6A 10002-B 60amp. with regulator as above; generator is identified as 'Ford'

-56/ B6A 10002-D 50 amp. with regulator as above; generator is identified as 'Bosch'

-56/59 B6A 10002-G 60amp. with regulator as above; generator is identified as 'Bosch'

In addition to 30 amp generators, there were some listings for applications with 35 and 40 amp generators. ALL of the 35 amp applications specified that they were with vehicles with A/C. No notes were included regarding the ‘WHY’ of the 40, 50 or 60 amp applications.

The ‘1949-1957 Ford Police Interceptor Parts List’ that I had been looking for (dated February 1957) also shows on page 39 what is identified in the two sources above:

-56/ 15 volt 60 amp.generator part no. B6A 10002-B to be used with a B5C 10505-A regulator

There is something to what John mentioned regarding alternators. The ‘1949-1959 Ford Car Parts and Accessories Illustration Catalog’ shows an exploded view diagram of two different alternators. On page 360 they show an exploded view of the 1956/59 ‘typical’ alternator (15 volt 100 amp.) and on page 361 they show an exploded view of the 1956/ typical alternator (15 volt 30 OR 50 amp.)

While these Ford ‘Illustration Catalog’ pages reference alternators, the Ford ‘Text Catalog’ parts number listing only has the category, ‘generators’.

I had an acquaintance who used to interchange the words motor and generator the way some people interchange the pronunciation of the word tomato. MAYBE the individuals who compiled the ’49-’59 Ford ‘Text Catalog’ thought that a generator and an alternator were the same thing!?! They do both generate electriicity... Rolleyes

By pegleg - 10 Years Ago
Marv, Please think about doing an article for Bruce Young in the Y block Magazine or a tech article here. I suspect that there would be some interest in this.