Profile Picture

High oil pressure again

Posted By mercuni 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
A strange on going issue. I have a 292 that I rebuilt several years ago. It runs great, but every year when the temperature drops, my oil pressure goes nuts. When cold ,when fired up, a steady 50lbs. As it starts to warm and I start to drive, the mechanical guage ( 4th one) will start to slam up to 80-100 psi. When it gets up to temp, it settles down to a steady 40-55 lbs. I run 10-30 oil, and have checked the relief valve in the gear type pump. This has gone on for years and have never blown out a filter or anything, but it does have me scratching my head at this time of year.( temp in the 40s). Hmmm
The Horvaths
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)

Time to check the gauge itself for proper response to a voltage source. I have found that the anglular orientation of the side that the toothed "gear" doesn't control has to be right before the action is reliably smooth.
charliemccraney
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Is the steady 50psi at cold idle?
Is the 80-100psi at idle or cruise?
when it settles down to 40-55psi, is that idle or cruise?

Lawrenceville, GA
mercuni
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)

Like I said,I am on my 4th gauge. When cold on start up, a steady 50. As it starts to warm,(I am slowly driving away)the gauge will start to rise with rpm. Within a few mins. the needle can creep up to 80,then jump up to 100 and back to 80 a few times. Within a few mins.,as the temp rises, it settles down to a steady 40@ idle to a max of 60 cruising. Seems temp and viscosity are at work ,but how?
The Horvaths
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)Supercharged (215 reputation)

Sorry, I didn't take that to mean that you were on the fourth gauge. For some reason, I thought that you were trying to point out which gauge you were looking at within the cluster. Silly, I know. Anyway, does the oil pump pressure relief valve move smoothly within its bore? I'm wondering if it is just tight enough to cause drag until it is warmed up.
Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
It sounds like the engine is in really good condition clearance wise or the relief valve in the oil pump is 'lazy'. I personally would not be overly concerned about it other than making sure you don't blow the gasket seal out of the oil filter. My '66 Fairlane with the FE consistently hits 120 psi cold at 2000 rpms but settles down to 35-40 psi at the same rpm when hot. That particular engine has no relief valve in the oil pump but I do use the Wix 51515R oil filter to put aside any fears of the filter itself coming apart at the seams.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

mercuni
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I will take the relief valve out and maybe touch it up with some 1000 grit. Would 5-20 oil be an option? I have been using Wix filters,as I hear that they are quite a bit stronger than most. Many thanks.
iowa fords
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)Supercharged (252 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I did a search but did not find what I was looking for. What it the Wix part # for oil filter for a 292

tom in iowa

54 Merc wagon

54 sunvalley
Talkwrench
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
ARE you in a cold climate? Im with Ted so long as it comes down as the oil gets hot I think your fine.. I wish mine was that good, both my Y block and Flathead lose oil pressure as the oil gets hot and at idle I barely have any !

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
speedpro56
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Do not use a lower weight oil. Stick with 5w40 or 10w40. using ?w20 your asking for cam failure and I would not be using 30w either unless it has enough zinc to stop cam and lifter wear.

-Gary Burnette-

Reading This Topic

Site Meter