Profile Picture

Can't rotate dizzy! Vacuum advance canister in the way!

Posted By easyissy 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Have any of you guys ran into this problem? I reinstalled my vacuum advance canister but now I cant rotate the dizzy to where i had it because it will hit the intake. rechecked tdc and its dead on. its a 292 in my '58 custom 300.

thanks for the help!

58 Ford Custom 300 - San Pedro, CA (So-Cal)
The Master Cylinder
This post has been flagged as an answer
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
You need to take the distributor out, rotate it to a better position so the canister doesn't hit the intake and reinstall.

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

Pete 55Tbird
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

If you can`t move the distributor because the advance can hits the intake manifold then the correct thing to do is pull out the distributor and reinstall it clocked differently. OR, you can re locate the sparkplug wires forward or backward rotation to match where your distributor is. Pete
Jeff
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)Supercharged (188 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Moving the spark plug wires is easiest solution. I encountered this in our '57 when we purchased it. The motor was lazy and hard to start. Checked the timing and found it was retarded. When I went to twist the distributer it ran into the intake manifold. Moved the wires one hole and I could set the timing as needed.No telling how long it had been this way.

Jeff Petersen

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/7f7836d2-56a8-4a8b-b1fd-515f.jpg
The Master Cylinder
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Yeah but then it won't run right because the "1" on the cap no longer goes to #1 plug... Whistling

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

Pete 55Tbird
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Master Cylinder " Yeah but then it won't run right because the "1" on the cap no longer goes to #1 plug... Whistling

Thats only because the spark needs to know which plug is the next to be fired and without the "1" it might go anywhere it wants.

Or something like that. Pete
pegleg
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
You think the spark knows how to read. Kinda like "Deer Crossing". I wonder how they know to cross there!

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

easyissy
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)Supercharged (221 reputation)

Pulling out the dizzy and rotating it worked fine. Now why couldn't I think of that? Wow

Anyone know a good source for a vacuum advance canister? Mac's has them but they're like $55!

I looked at the local parts store and they all show the canister with the angled arm and mine is straight

ian57tbird
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: Last Week
Bargain, try buying stuff in Australia.
easyissy
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

If I could buy a complete rebuilt distributor with the vacuum advance canister for $50 why is just the vacuum canister $55.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter