Can't rotate dizzy! Vacuum advance canister in the way!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic86795.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By easyissy - 11 Years Ago
Have any of you guys ran into this problem? I reinstalled my vacuum advance canister but now I cant rotate the dizzy to where i had it because it will hit the intake. rechecked tdc and its dead on. its a 292 in my '58 custom 300.

thanks for the help!
By The Master Cylinder - 11 Years Ago
You need to take the distributor out, rotate it to a better position so the canister doesn't hit the intake and reinstall.
By Pete 55Tbird - 11 Years Ago
If you can`t move the distributor because the advance can hits the intake manifold then the correct thing to do is pull out the distributor and reinstall it clocked differently. OR, you can re locate the sparkplug wires forward or backward rotation to match where your distributor is. Pete
By Jeff - 11 Years Ago
Moving the spark plug wires is easiest solution. I encountered this in our '57 when we purchased it. The motor was lazy and hard to start. Checked the timing and found it was retarded. When I went to twist the distributer it ran into the intake manifold. Moved the wires one hole and I could set the timing as needed.No telling how long it had been this way.
Yeah but then it won't run right because the "1" on the cap no longer goes to #1 plug... Whistling
By Pete 55Tbird - 11 Years Ago
Master Cylinder " Yeah but then it won't run right because the "1" on the cap no longer goes to #1 plug... Whistling

Thats only because the spark needs to know which plug is the next to be fired and without the "1" it might go anywhere it wants.

Or something like that. Pete
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
You think the spark knows how to read. Kinda like "Deer Crossing". I wonder how they know to cross there!
Pulling out the dizzy and rotating it worked fine. Now why couldn't I think of that? Wow

Anyone know a good source for a vacuum advance canister? Mac's has them but they're like $55!

I looked at the local parts store and they all show the canister with the angled arm and mine is straight
By ian57tbird - 11 Years Ago
Bargain, try buying stuff in Australia.
If I could buy a complete rebuilt distributor with the vacuum advance canister for $50 why is just the vacuum canister $55.
Try NAPA. According to their listing it is the same vacuum advance as used on Ford small blocks and FE's.

Speaking of which, will a Ford small block distributor fit in a Y-Block? Maybe using a Y-Block shaft or something? Reason I ask is there seems to be NO reman Y-Block distributors right now and just looking for future options. Smooooth
That's the type with the off center linkage arm. I need the straight arm type.

Thanks for looking though.
By aussiebill - 11 Years Ago
easyissy (9/4/2013)

Those straight arm vac pots are hard to find, TEE-BIRD products has the curved ones modified to straight arm style, give bill a call.
OH!!
aussiebill (9/4/2013)
easyissy (9/4/2013)

Those straight arm vac pots are hard to find, TEE-BIRD products has the curved ones modified to straight arm style, give bill a call.

Ya, I'm starting to figure that out with these prices. TEE-BIRD products has them for $45 so I'll save $10 over going to Mac's. w00t

Maybe I could just buy the off center linkage type and modify it myself. There only $15-$20.

Couldn't I just cut off the angled portion of the arm and weld in a straight piece the same length as the one I have? Do you guys think that would work?
By GREENBIRD56 - 11 Years Ago
The point plate and pivot off the later distributors - from 289/302/351/and infinitum - will those adapt to the upper rotor shaft and cam of the Autolite distributor? Then the curved leg can would fit..........later Motorcraft donors are easier to find.

I put the Duraspark stator and pivot off the later distributors into the Autolites - and use the curved leg can with those.
A friend just ordered a remanufactured distributor and when it arrived it was one with the straight vacuum arm. # FEL-12127AB He wanted to put a Pertronix III in it. I'm not familiar with these units at all. What is the difference between the two types. Will the Pertronix work. How does the point plate even come out.

One last thing, the mechanical advance springs seem really strong, will the Grant spring kit fit this unit.

Lot of questions but like I said I'm not familiar with them and don't want to go tearing into it. He has 30 days to return it if it doesn't work. Thing is the other model seems to be made of Unobtainium all of the sudden.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/8c1b445f-15a3-4324-bc2e-7457.JPG

Thanx for any info.
After some research I believe a FEL-12127 is for a '57 368" Merc?? Anybody know if it will work in a 292" After looking at my Pertronix III I'm pretty sure it won't fit because of the vacuum advance arm. More than likely other reasons also. By the picture does it look like it takes the same points as the 'regular' '57 up Ford distributor.

Arrgh, don't like hassels.w00t

By ian57tbird - 11 Years Ago
Looks identical on top to my T Bird dizzy. Those straight arm units are available from T Bird parts suppliers. I put a new one on mine.

Don't think welding would do the diaphragm any favours.
By charliemccraney - 11 Years Ago
The Master Cylinder (9/4/2013)
Speaking of which, will a Ford small block distributor fit in a Y-Block? Maybe using a Y-Block shaft or something?

I have a Duraspark body in mine right now so it definitely did not come from a Y-Block. Not sure if it is a small block or big block, but I think the bodies are all the same. To the best of my knowledge, the shaft and gear are the parts that are different.
charliemccraney (9/8/2013)
The Master Cylinder (9/4/2013)
Speaking of which, will a Ford small block distributor fit in a Y-Block? Maybe using a Y-Block shaft or something?

I have a Duraspark body in mine right now so it definitely did not come from a Y-Block. Not sure if it is a small block or big block, but I think the bodies are all the same. To the best of my knowledge, the shaft and gear are the parts that are different.

Thanks Charlie, that interesting. That's what I was thinking to put a Y-Block shaft in a SBF (or BBF??) I'm having a difficult time locating a remanufactured Y-Block distributor.

Does anyone know if bushing are available for distributors. I could change out bushings if I had the parts and see NOS Y-Block gears on epay occasionally. Just letting my mind wander while doing "Honey Do's". Should be at the beach but I see the "Marine Layer" is coming in.

Oh, enough day dreaming, back to work.
By Talkwrench - 11 Years Ago
M/C the Plate should just unscrew and come out , replaced by the Pertronix 3 unit. I think you mean the Mr Gasket springs? yes should go in ok. You may have to run without a vacuum advance...
Haha, Yes, Mr. Gasket springs. Where did Grant come from? I'm losing it. w00t

Anyway, I don't see any screws? The whole points plate turns with the vacuum advance arm... and with the straight arm it doesn't appear it would line up with the Per III pin.
By Talkwrench - 11 Years Ago
Hahaha there is three screws I can see quite clearly.. The unit replaces the points plate. However with that straight arm it may not, or you lose the vac advance, you may have to lock it. You have the instructions for it?
By slick56 - 11 Years Ago

Does anyone know if bushing are available for distributors. I could change out bushings if I had the parts and see NOS Y-Block gears on epay occasionally.

These are on eBay at the moment, only 3 left...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130890962841?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Ok, i have just stripped the nos '57 and the '68 windsor dizzys. There is no way a pertronix. 3 will fit the standard dizzy.

Refer to pics below,

also, i doubt you can interchange windsor and y-block shafts, the advance units appear to be fixed to them, however the shafts measure the same diameters, 0.467 above the gear, 0.450 below.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/767310f8-b7de-4299-9bca-f7a3.jpg

y-block above the windsor

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/304e4112-9329-4daa-96ad-46a5.jpg

windsor

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/96c42e73-b3bc-42db-b214-c0d2.jpg

y-block

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/44fde49a-3cfc-4e42-9780-9425.jpg

y-block

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/14d1dd7d-4b8b-4f54-a3b6-e40b.jpg

windsor

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/e1975a0a-238d-40a3-bdbf-2ff6.jpg

y-block on left

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/87bd7cee-0408-4953-9d67-3323.jpg

y-block bearing advance plate

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/fe186560-99fe-48f2-85b3-6d0d.jpg

bearing advance plate top

Looks like it is back to the Pertronix 1 for me...
By Y block Billy - 11 Years Ago
The Y block and small block housings are similar, I have gotten many rebuilts for Y's and they came with later small block housings, so it is doable. However the advance plate you have is a 57 ball bearing type and may not fit the later housings but I think you could put the Y shaft in the later housing and use the later style advance plate.
I looked at putting the Y shaft in the windsor housing, but there is not enough room under the breaker plate for the y advance mechanism. I have a 59 truck engine with a dizzy in the back of the shed, i will have a look at that in a couple of weeks, when i get back - off this week on a 3000 mile road trip to see my son in Western Australia (by camper van, not '56)....
I don't believe the USA Y-block Autolites after '57 - have the ball bearing point plate - they have a pivoting plate base that screws into the body. The almost 180º mounting screw holes are shown here. I don't have a ball bearing plate in my pile of leftovers.......

I was wondering if you can put the later Motorcraft point plate (Windsor) into the earlier variety and use the earlier upper rotor shaft, cam, rotor and cap as is. You would be converting to the curved base points - or an electronic converter that fits that base.

Have a safe trip cross country Smile
What year is this distributor Steve? Pertronix 3 would fit in this, but using the windsor vac advance if this has the straight arm.
Thanks, will keep my eyes peeled for 'roos, camels and cows..
Talkwrench (9/9/2013)
Hahaha there is three screws I can see quite clearly.. The unit replaces the points plate. However with that straight arm it may not, or you lose the vac advance, you may have to lock it. You have the instructions for it?

I don't think I explained myself correctly. The distributor I'm looking at is the "bearing type early '57. The Pertronix III replaces the whole upper plate that the points and condenser screw to. I called it the points plate but others called it the advance plate, which makes more sense.

How do you get the advance plate out? It turns so it can't be screwed down. I am obviously missing something.
slick56 (9/9/2013)
Ok, i have just stripped the nos '57 and the '68 windsor dizzys. There is no way a pertronix. 3 will fit the standard dizzy.

Looks like it is back to the Pertronix 1 for me...

Or you could use the Pertronix II which also just replaces the points and condenser but mounts to the advance plate. The Pertronix III replaces the whole plate.
There are two screws in the side of the body that hold small brackets that hold the plate down. Remove these and you can lever the plate off (gently). The pert3 will not fit the bearing type dizzy, refer to the pics i posted earlier.
By charliemccraney - 11 Years Ago
I should elaborate more on what I said earlier about the Duraspark distributor. A Duraspark distributor is a Motorcraft. Most small block and big block are Motorcraft. Some Y-Block distrributors are Motorcraft. Where Motorcraft distributors are concerned, I believe it is only the shaft and gear that is different.
Swapping from Autolite to Motorcraft, or maybe even some Autolite to Autolite will involve a lot more because many of the parts are different and when it gets down to it, may not even be worth the attempt when MSD and Mallory make distributors.
I now have in my collection; a new pert1 for a 56 distributor (didn't check what type i had before i ordered), a pert1 for the 57 dizzy that is on it, and a new pert3 that wont fit. And now i need a pert2. This is getting expensive...
I now have in my collection; a new pert1 for a 56 distributor (didn't check what type i had before i ordered), a pert1 for the 57 dizzy that is on it, and a new pert3 that wont fit. And now i need a pert2. This is getting expensive...
slick56 (9/9/2013)
There are two screws in the side of the body that hold small brackets that hold the plate down. Remove these and you can lever the plate off (gently). The pert3 will not fit the bearing type dizzy, refer to the pics i posted earlier.

OK I see them now. Thank you. One of the screws has the ground wire hiding the brackets. Yeah, I've come to the conclusion the the Pert III won't fit. Unfortunately I have been running a Pert III. I don't want to have to buy a Pert II to replace it.

I'm now torn if I should send this distributor back because the reman. newer ones are not available.
charliemccraney (9/9/2013)
Some Y-Block distrributors are Motorcraft. Where Motorcraft distributors are concerned, I believe it is only the shaft and gear that is different.

My 57 dizzy is FoMoCo, the windsor is autolite.

charliemccraney (9/9/2013)
... may not even be worth the attempt when MSD and Mallory make distributors.

Now Dang it!!! Your trying to make too much sense. w00tw00t
I believe the Autolite distributor in my photo is from a '59 engine - I had two and one is now in the GREENBIRD. I modified it by using the point plate out of a post '76 Duraspark II (Motorcraft) so it could use the Ford electronic trigger. The Duraspark II uses the curved leg vacuum pot - and it all fits right in there as long as you are using a matching point (or stator) plate. The two tapped holes and vacuum pot mounts are in the same relative positions on the Autolite and Motorcraft bodies - and the Motorcraft point and electronic units both accept the same (curved leg) vacuum pots.

When I build the electronic versions, I cut the cam off the Autolite upper rotor shaft and machine it for the reluctor/armature of the later distributor. Once you have the trigger in the case (with mechanical and vacuum advance)- all sorts of ignitions can be used ........ different story.