Profile Picture

1956 Ford Oil Bath Conversion

Posted By Danny 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
QuestionMark Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Most of my 1956 Crown Victoria - 292 V-8 is original. I have a modern chrome air filter that sticks out like a sore thumb when I open the hood. I acquired an original 1956 ford oil bath that would be correct for my car. The housing is in great shape but the wire mesh cannister attached to the cover is not. I would like to convert this oil bath cleaner to accept a modern paper air filter. I think a K&N E-2870 with an OD=11.25" and ID=8.875" and HT=4.25" would fit.

I have a newer 4160 Holley 0-1848-1 465 cfm carb. I know that I will have to cut/grind some areas of the base so that the air cleaner sits level and flush on the carb. Do they have a gasket that fits between the carb and the air cleaner?

There are several articles on an oil bath conversion that says to cut the wire mesh cannnister off leaving a "lip" that would sit on the upper surface of the paper filter.

There is one article in particular that says on a 1956 Lincoln Mark II, you can remove the cannister with a hammer and chisel because it is only crimped to the outer edge of the cover. In other words the upper lip of the wire mesh cannister is not welded to the cover. It is only being held in place by the overlapping lip on the cover. Does anyone know it this is the case with the 1956 Ford oil bath air cleaner? This would be my preferred route to take.

Lastly, would I need to cut/drill holes in the bottom base outside of the paper filter to allow more air flow? If so how many and what size?

Any thoughts or tips on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Danny
Talkwrench
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Yes there is a gasket between the carb and filter, standard on any 4 barrel. Just nick that tab of the airfilter base.

You will have to cut the top so it has a lip , go round carefully with a grinder and then tidy up. No dont drill any holes in the bottom, you just have to work out heights correctly the lid will just sit open at the top, how much is up to you.

I can do pics if your require or someone else may have some . P>M me if you wish .

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
rgrove
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)

I did the conversion to my oil bath for a modern 4 barrel, and i used an 8 or 9" moroso air filter. The method I used was really easy/straightforward. I had a post here that showed what i did, but it apparently got killed during the last forum migration. If you want, i can post pics of how i did it in the next day or two. Ive been running with it converted for several years with no problems.

Let me know if you want some pics, etc.

thanks!

Ron Grove

Wauconda, IL

Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago

Here’s the link to the pictorial posted by Ron regarding the oil bath air cleaner conversion.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost30443.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 minute ago
Danny:

Have you changed your distributor to a '57 and later unit? With the 4160 carb you and your engine will be much happier with the later distributor.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
56_Fairlane
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I bought a later style air cleaner from a '58 that uses a paper element. It still has that period look to it although it looks different compared to the original one.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
rgrove
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)

Ted (8/1/2013)

Here’s the link to the pictorial posted by Ron regarding the oil bath air cleaner conversion.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost30587.aspx

THANK YOU for digging that up! I really appreciate it!

In my case, the air filter element fit perfectly on the raised base of the oil bath main housing once I took out the oil pan (for lack of a better word). I think it was an 8" or 9". I got it through Summit, but Im sure Jegs has it as well.

The latest mod I did to it was to get a 1/4-20 coupler nut to put on top of the chrome lid. I then got a wingnut with the threaded part attached (found it at the local hardware store and looks like the OEM wingnut). I use the threaded coupler nut to hold the chrome lid on, then just screw the wingnut with the shaft into the top of the threaded coupler to hold the "oil bath" lid on.

Hope this makes sense; let me know if you need more info.

Ron Grove

Wauconda, IL

junkyardjeff
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Here is what I didhttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/b3b57ae9-f4c4-487e-b333-756b.JPG

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
Danny
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)Supercharged (365 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I did not upgrade to the 57 or later distributor. That will probably be my next project.
56_Fairlane
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Danny (8/4/2013)
I did not upgrade to the 57 or later distributor. That will probably be my next project.

It really should be your next project as it's neither difficult nor expensive.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles

Reading This Topic

Site Meter