Profile Picture

How do I convert Oil Bath air cleaner to dry filter element?

Posted By Gary 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

How do I convert Oil Bath air cleaner to dry filter element?

Author
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
I'm using a 4bbl 1955 Oil Bath Air Cleaner on a 57 4bbl carb and intake.  How can I convert the oil bath air cleaner to a dry filter?  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Gary

oldcarmark
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hello Gary! I see you understood my instructions.If you carefully cut out the inners of yours you can purchase a dry element using dimensions from an auto parts supplier.All you would have left to use is the "top" of the existing aircleaner.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
rgrove
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I gutted the oil bath on my 56.  I found a moroso open element air filter (i think 6" dia?) fit perfectly inside.  The bottom of the filter element sits on the oil bath housing, and then the chrome cover goes on top of the filter element.  I left the threaded rod in the center long enough to put the original cover back on so it looks 100% stock when buttoned up.  I can probably post pics this weekend if needed.

Ron Grove

Wauconda, IL

rgrove
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)

Here are pics.  Only hard part/non reversible part was trimming the bottom of the lid to provide clearance.  I also ended up cutting out part of the noise baffle on the inside fo the main body to increase airflow.  I just leave the oil bath housing lid off for most driving around, and just put the lid on for shows, as it does make a difference in performance...

Hope this helps.

Ron Grove

Wauconda, IL

oldcarmark
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hello Ron!Just a question about your conversion.Is there a reason you didn't just buy an element to fit in your existing housing instead of addiing a second aircleaner inside it?If you measure up from the base to the lid of the old aircleaner you should be able to purchase an element to fit as you already know the outside and inside measurments based on the element you are now using.Just wondered?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
rgrove
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

oldcarmark (8/17/2009)
Hello Ron!Just a question about your conversion.Is there a reason you didn't just buy an element to fit in your existing housing instead of addiing a second aircleaner inside it?If you measure up from the base to the lid of the old aircleaner you should be able to purchase an element to fit as you already know the outside and inside measurments based on the element you are now using.Just wondered?

No reason other than this was actually easier.  I tried going through parts catalogs to find a suitable filter based on dims, etc but then realized that the moroso one was a perfect fit if i used it as shown.  Other reason is that I can run without the oil bath lid on to get more air in (the single opening is too restrictive), so for driving around town leaving the bath lid off lets it get more air, albeit hot air.

Ron Grove

Wauconda, IL

Gary
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)Turbocharged (72 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Ron,  Thanks for sharing your air cleaner solution.  It looks great and no more messy oil to contend with.  Thanks, Gary

Gary

Reading This Topic

Site Meter