Profile Picture

Noob here in need of advice!

Posted By 1nickthegreek 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Hello everyone, I have a '50 Ford customline 4 door sedan that I am turning into a custom (trying to achieve a "Mini-Merc" theme).
I am pulling the flathead and going to put in a Y block out of a 50's T-bird, not too interested in building it up too much, but want enough that I am not a snail...intend to back the Y block with an AOD, and need to know what adapter to use for the most painless installation. I am in a wheelchair, so will have to have others assemble for me so need something fairly straightforward LOL Blush

Raised on gasoline and still have tetraethyl coursing through my veins....
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I used this adapter on mine several years ago and had no problems.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Pricing.htm

Our best friend in Y-Block parts is John Mummert in El Cajon, CA. He has this one:

http://www.ford-y-block.com/c4adapt.htm

While you are there take a look at ALL on the products John offers for Y's. Everything you need to build from mild to wild.

There are others around. Just do an EBAY search. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Lou
This post has been flagged as an answer
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
A y-block into a 49/51 Ford or Merc is one of the hardest swaps you can do. In 1964 a friend and myself put a 56 T-Bird engine into a 51 Ford convertable, getting the engine and trans in is the easy part (as long as you have the motor mounts that bolt to the timming case cover) To start with you need a Thunderbird timming case cover, and oil pan, and a dropped tie rod. After that you must make everything, exhaust, oil filter, linkage. My friend's father had a big auto repair business and I was working part time in a michine shop, we must of had over a 150 hours in that car in the 4 months it took to finish. The upside...we put over 50,000 miles on that can in the next 3 years, with the only repair being a front seal in the engine.
1nickthegreek
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Thank you very much Moon Shadow and Lou for your insights. Smile

Raised on gasoline and still have tetraethyl coursing through my veins....
slick56
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
MoonShadow, how did you go mounting the AOD, JMummert advises that the ear on the block blocks the AOD starter motor hole?Did you modify the block?

South Australia

MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

The Benedtson adapter is about 1" thick and comes with a high torque starter that bolts right up to it. There is a bit of grinding to do on the AOD bell housing but it is minimal. Makes starter swaps a whole lot easier. I did have to replace the starter once but its the same one that is used on the scrubs (sbc). Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

slick56
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks Chuck, gives me another option to get the revs down.

My ute with 302w, AOD and 3.55's is barely above idle @ 100kmh (65mph).

South Australia

AOD
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

It has enabled me to run 4:10 gears on the street and still have low Rpm on the highway. Only better option is a 5 or 6 speed and I like my automatics. Chuck

Y's guys rule!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter