Profile Picture

Intake manifolds finished

Posted By John Mummert 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
FINALLY got intake manifolds finished, high and low rise.

If you've been waiting let me know.

Heads are still a ways away. Just depends on how long it takes Edelbrock to make fixtures to hold them and write machining program.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
John, I need one of the new manifolds for a supercharged engine. Don't know if it should be hi-rise or not. Its basicly a 400HP street motor with a Mccullouch. Engine was built by Ted. Any thoughts? Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
John Mummert
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Chuck, we only make low rise for cars with hood clearance problems such as T-Birds. I would use a high rise whenever space allows.

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

PF Arcand
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

John M.: Is your shop doing any of the machining on the manifolds or heads? Or do you intend to do any of them in the future? As I recall that you bought equipment to do so..

Paul
aussiebill
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
John Mummert (1/2/2013)
FINALLY got intake manifolds finished, high and low rise.
If you've been waiting let me know.
Heads are still a ways away. Just depends on how long it takes Edelbrock to make fixtures to hold them and write machining program.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thanks john, i replied to your email with my address etc for the intake, i know once you work out post and total let me know to pay on p/pal. thanks again. regards bill. Smile

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

zheimers
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (7 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (7 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (7 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (7 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (7 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (7 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (7 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (7 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (7 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Why do you recommend the hi-rise manifold? If this has been covered before, can someone post a link? Sorry, new member...
Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
zheimers (2/3/2013)
Why do you recommend the hi-rise manifold? If this has been covered before, can someone post a link? Sorry, new member...

Welcome to the site.  And I’ll try to answer this for John.  Optimum intake tract length for the Y engine is with the carburetor being approximately two inches higher than what the carb height for the ‘55-57 Thunderbird is.  By providing a high rise intake for those of us that are not constrained by the lower Thunderbird hood height, the carburetor without a spacer is simply closer to that ideal height and takes less carb spacer height to get to that ‘perfect’ tract length.  But there is only about 1/4" difference in height between the Thunderbird intake and the 'Hi Rise' version so there is still lots of room for carburetor spacer tuning.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

DANIEL TINDER
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Ted,

Curious: Is that "optimum intake tract length" across the board, or is either torque or high rpm HP favored when shorter? Also wonder if you have found any difference in height between the carb. brands that make appropriately sized models? Was the height of the 1/4" taller manifold likely limited by hood clearance when using an OEM '57 T-Bird aircleaner?

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
kidcourier
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)Supercharged (127 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
  I replaced a iron "B" manifold/600 cfm Holly carb and a 3"round air cleaner with a "Blue Thunder"/525 cfm Demon carb and 3" oval air cleaner and couldn"t close the hood unless I removed the 1" carb spacer on my '57 Courier! So how much height difference is there between Johns lowriser manifold and the "BT" ? I know that the Demon is about twice the size of the Holly(say humongous)Will running a couple of gaskets between the carb/alum manifold create any problems after reaching running temp.? KID
Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
kidcourier (2/3/2013)
  I replaced a iron "B" manifold/600 cfm Holly carb and a 3"round air cleaner with a "Blue Thunder"/525 cfm Demon carb and 3" oval air cleaner and couldn"t close the hood unless I removed the 1" carb spacer on my '57 Courier! So how much height difference is there between Johns lowriser manifold and the "BT" ?
Same height

I know that the Demon is about twice the size of the Holly(say humongous). Will running a couple of gaskets between the carb/alum manifold create any problems after reaching running temp.? KID
No but be careful in tightening down the carb ears.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter