Intake manifolds finished

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic78220.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By John Mummert - 11 Years Ago
FINALLY got intake manifolds finished, high and low rise.

If you've been waiting let me know.

Heads are still a ways away. Just depends on how long it takes Edelbrock to make fixtures to hold them and write machining program.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
By MoonShadow - 11 Years Ago
John, I need one of the new manifolds for a supercharged engine. Don't know if it should be hi-rise or not. Its basicly a 400HP street motor with a Mccullouch. Engine was built by Ted. Any thoughts? Chuck
Chuck, we only make low rise for cars with hood clearance problems such as T-Birds. I would use a high rise whenever space allows.
By PF Arcand - 11 Years Ago
John M.: Is your shop doing any of the machining on the manifolds or heads? Or do you intend to do any of them in the future? As I recall that you bought equipment to do so..
By aussiebill - 11 Years Ago
John Mummert (1/2/2013)
FINALLY got intake manifolds finished, high and low rise.
If you've been waiting let me know.
Heads are still a ways away. Just depends on how long it takes Edelbrock to make fixtures to hold them and write machining program.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thanks john, i replied to your email with my address etc for the intake, i know once you work out post and total let me know to pay on p/pal. thanks again. regards bill. Smile

By zheimers - 11 Years Ago
Why do you recommend the hi-rise manifold? If this has been covered before, can someone post a link? Sorry, new member...
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
zheimers (2/3/2013)
Why do you recommend the hi-rise manifold? If this has been covered before, can someone post a link? Sorry, new member...

Welcome to the site.  And I’ll try to answer this for John.  Optimum intake tract length for the Y engine is with the carburetor being approximately two inches higher than what the carb height for the ‘55-57 Thunderbird is.  By providing a high rise intake for those of us that are not constrained by the lower Thunderbird hood height, the carburetor without a spacer is simply closer to that ideal height and takes less carb spacer height to get to that ‘perfect’ tract length.  But there is only about 1/4" difference in height between the Thunderbird intake and the 'Hi Rise' version so there is still lots of room for carburetor spacer tuning.

By DANIEL TINDER - 11 Years Ago
Ted,

Curious: Is that "optimum intake tract length" across the board, or is either torque or high rpm HP favored when shorter? Also wonder if you have found any difference in height between the carb. brands that make appropriately sized models? Was the height of the 1/4" taller manifold likely limited by hood clearance when using an OEM '57 T-Bird aircleaner?
By kidcourier - 11 Years Ago
  I replaced a iron "B" manifold/600 cfm Holly carb and a 3"round air cleaner with a "Blue Thunder"/525 cfm Demon carb and 3" oval air cleaner and couldn"t close the hood unless I removed the 1" carb spacer on my '57 Courier! So how much height difference is there between Johns lowriser manifold and the "BT" ? I know that the Demon is about twice the size of the Holly(say humongous)Will running a couple of gaskets between the carb/alum manifold create any problems after reaching running temp.? KID
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
kidcourier (2/3/2013)
  I replaced a iron "B" manifold/600 cfm Holly carb and a 3"round air cleaner with a "Blue Thunder"/525 cfm Demon carb and 3" oval air cleaner and couldn"t close the hood unless I removed the 1" carb spacer on my '57 Courier! So how much height difference is there between Johns lowriser manifold and the "BT" ?
Same height

I know that the Demon is about twice the size of the Holly(say humongous). Will running a couple of gaskets between the carb/alum manifold create any problems after reaching running temp.? KID
No but be careful in tightening down the carb ears.
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
DANIEL TINDER (2/3/2013)
Ted,

Curious: Is that "optimum intake tract length" across the board, or is either torque or high rpm HP favored when shorter? Also wonder if you have found any difference in height between the carb. brands that make appropriately sized models? Was the height of the 1/4" taller manifold likely limited by hood clearance when using an OEM '57 T-Bird aircleaner?

Daniel.  Optimum intake tract length is not expected to be the same across the board.  And optimum even on the same combination depends alot upon driving characteristics and the rpm range being targeted for.  Head flow, camming, exhaust, ignition timing, and other variables all enter into the equation.  If one item is changed, then all items typically must be re-examined again.  But for a single four equipped Y, a 2” high carb spacer tends to give the best overall results but the spacer design itself may vary.  Even with the Blue Thunder and Mummert intakes being very similar in design, each manifold has its own preference to spacer design or style.

The factory has it easy in that all vehicles of a given model have the same engine combination and tuneup.  For the hobbyist who is constantly changing up his combination, then a new tuning scenario presents itself with each change.

But beyond all that and as a general rule, torque values increase as intake tract lengths increase while horsepower numbers may go up with decreases in intake tract lengths.  My roadster engine is now making 520 ft/lbs torque and much of that is attributed to the sheet metal intake it is running.

By DANIEL TINDER - 11 Years Ago
Ted (2/3/2013) "there is only about 1/4" difference in height between the Thunderbird intake and the 'Hi Rise' version"

If only a 1/4" difference still warranted the production/inventory hassle of a second manifold model, then likely it isn't only my imagination that my '55 Bird runs stronger with near that much additional spacer height (PCV spacer with two gaskets vs. OEM 5 gasket stack) under the teapot! I should probably now add as many gaskets as hood clearance will stand (?).
I wonder what happened to the last post I left on the thread. Lost in the ether?Anyway, the High Rise and Low Rise manifolds are the same casting. We only cut the carb pad down to fit under low hoods. Otherwise the same manifold.
Paul: Just because I'm not going to machine the heads doesn't mean I've retired.
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
John Mummert (2/14/2013)
I wonder what happened to the last post I left on the thread. Lost in the ether? ...

John. Some of the kinks are still being worked out on the forum upgrade but they are slowly being resolved. Is this the post you’re looking for?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost78237.aspx

By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
I think you'll find the Demon's about the same physical size overall. The Road Demon and the the holley 600 are not terribly large.
By mariachiloco - 10 Years Ago
I have a 1957 F-100 with a 272, looking for a intake manifold. I've looked all over for a Edelbrock.... any recommendations? I'm thinking of using a double barrel crab. All I've done to the engine is new gaskets, pumps and filters. Nothing radical...
By CK and his 55Tbird - 10 Years Ago
Hi JohnHow do I order parts from you if I can't call, as I'm in OZ.

I'd like to run the hi-rise with an EFI carb (F.A.S.T)

Chris
By aussiebill - 10 Years Ago
CK and his 55Tbird (1/27/2014)
Hi JohnHow do I order parts from you if I can't call, as I'm in OZ.

I'd like to run the hi-rise with an EFI carb (F.A.S.T)

Chris

Message him on here !!