Profile Picture

Aerostar springs...new thread and photo

Posted By MarkMontereyBay 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Here is a photo of my original stock 57 Tbird spring standing next to the CC850 Aerostar spring from Rockauto. The standing free height difference is substantial. Is this what others have found? I thought I had cut the original springs but looking them over I didn't when I replaced them 7(?) years ago. Any comments will help. Don't want to make a mistake putting this on with the Granada spindles.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

texasmark1
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)Supercharged (906 reputation)

Interesting...

any idea if your original springs are the same size as Fairlane (full size 57 car) springs?

I want to eventually put the aerostar springs on my Fairlane...

Mark

"God Bless Texas"location: Houston,TX

MoonShadow
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 10 minutes ago
You may want to try the Granada spindle first. They are good for a 1-2" drop. With the Aerostar springs for an additional 1-2" it may be too much. I use the A-frame lowering blocks on mine and would probably remove them when I put the Granada's on. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
MarkMontereyBay
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

I think I will go ahead with the Aerostar springs and Granada spindles together. I was looking at Skygazer's Tbird on the previous thread and it looks good to me. The other factor is the aluminum heads, manifold, and Sanderson headers took a lot of weight off the front end. It came up an 3/4 inch or so after I finished the engine. I can always take the Aerostar springs out if it doesn't work.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

miker
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Mark, run a search under Aerostar for my June or July post. The spring heights, fender height, tires etc. are all there. You can add in the spindle change, mine are stock. Should get you within a 1/4" or so. I've got the alum heads, manifold, headers, timing cover, water pump, and probably 20# more on the front for the a/c. Once you drive those springs, I'll bet you change the spindles before you change the springs, if you're too low.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
grandpas4dr56
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)Normally aspirated (29 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
I got my aerostar spring from the bone yard and that is about the same difference i had in my springs. My original spring were not cut. I am using 78 thunderbird spindles and i am going to say i have a 2 or 2 1/2 inch drop.

Dont judge me, you dont know my situation.
MarkMontereyBay
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Here is a recent photo that shows the front ride height. Not the best photo to see it but does show how much the front end is up.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Miker,

I am using the spindles to convert to disc brakes so changing them if the car sits too low isn't an option. If I need to change something to bring the car back up some, I can change back to the original springs or possibly re-ream the lower ball joint hole so the spindle sits down flush with the bottom of the ball joint stud which could raise the front up a bit. Then put spacers (washers) on the top of the ball joint threaded end to make the castle nut torque the spindle down correctly. Doing that would also line up the steering stops. The Tbird wheelbase is 102 inches and the Granada is 110. What this conversion with spindles and springs does to the Ackerman is beyond me as is what, if anything, to do about it.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

miker
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Sorry, Mark, I slipped a cog on that. My very old conversion uses Granda rotors, but with a (I think) different bearing stack to fit the original spindles. And mounts a mustang caliper. I sometimes forget there's more to it than just the rotors when "Granada" comes up. Still, the relative height measurements should let you make a pretty educated guess. A lot of the roads I drive are pretty rough, especially at a bridge or overpasses. I've got a car that's lower, and it bottoms, that's why I didn't change the spindles. Good luck. Let us know how it measures out.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
bird55
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
MarkMontereyBay (12/13/2012)
Here is a photo of my original stock 57 Tbird spring standing next to the CC850 Aerostar spring from Rockauto. The standing free height difference is substantial. Is this what others have found? I thought I had cut the original springs but looking them over I didn't when I replaced them 7(?) years ago. Any comments will help. Don't want to make a mistake putting this on with the Granada spindles.

Yes, I just did mine and I can confirm thte difference in height I've got a pic almost like yours just to prove it. Mine dropped about 2.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

Reading This Topic

Site Meter