Aerostar springs...new thread and photo

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic77646.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By MarkMontereyBay - 12 Years Ago
Here is a photo of my original stock 57 Tbird spring standing next to the CC850 Aerostar spring from Rockauto. The standing free height difference is substantial. Is this what others have found? I thought I had cut the original springs but looking them over I didn't when I replaced them 7(?) years ago. Any comments will help. Don't want to make a mistake putting this on with the Granada spindles.

By texasmark1 - 12 Years Ago
Interesting...

any idea if your original springs are the same size as Fairlane (full size 57 car) springs?

I want to eventually put the aerostar springs on my Fairlane...

Mark

By MoonShadow - 12 Years Ago
You may want to try the Granada spindle first. They are good for a 1-2" drop. With the Aerostar springs for an additional 1-2" it may be too much. I use the A-frame lowering blocks on mine and would probably remove them when I put the Granada's on. Chuck
I think I will go ahead with the Aerostar springs and Granada spindles together. I was looking at Skygazer's Tbird on the previous thread and it looks good to me. The other factor is the aluminum heads, manifold, and Sanderson headers took a lot of weight off the front end. It came up an 3/4 inch or so after I finished the engine. I can always take the Aerostar springs out if it doesn't work.
By miker - 12 Years Ago
Mark, run a search under Aerostar for my June or July post. The spring heights, fender height, tires etc. are all there. You can add in the spindle change, mine are stock. Should get you within a 1/4" or so. I've got the alum heads, manifold, headers, timing cover, water pump, and probably 20# more on the front for the a/c. Once you drive those springs, I'll bet you change the spindles before you change the springs, if you're too low.
By grandpas4dr56 - 12 Years Ago
I got my aerostar spring from the bone yard and that is about the same difference i had in my springs. My original spring were not cut. I am using 78 thunderbird spindles and i am going to say i have a 2 or 2 1/2 inch drop.
Here is a recent photo that shows the front ride height. Not the best photo to see it but does show how much the front end is up.

Miker,

I am using the spindles to convert to disc brakes so changing them if the car sits too low isn't an option. If I need to change something to bring the car back up some, I can change back to the original springs or possibly re-ream the lower ball joint hole so the spindle sits down flush with the bottom of the ball joint stud which could raise the front up a bit. Then put spacers (washers) on the top of the ball joint threaded end to make the castle nut torque the spindle down correctly. Doing that would also line up the steering stops. The Tbird wheelbase is 102 inches and the Granada is 110. What this conversion with spindles and springs does to the Ackerman is beyond me as is what, if anything, to do about it.
By miker - 12 Years Ago
Sorry, Mark, I slipped a cog on that. My very old conversion uses Granda rotors, but with a (I think) different bearing stack to fit the original spindles. And mounts a mustang caliper. I sometimes forget there's more to it than just the rotors when "Granada" comes up. Still, the relative height measurements should let you make a pretty educated guess. A lot of the roads I drive are pretty rough, especially at a bridge or overpasses. I've got a car that's lower, and it bottoms, that's why I didn't change the spindles. Good luck. Let us know how it measures out.
By bird55 - 12 Years Ago
MarkMontereyBay (12/13/2012)
Here is a photo of my original stock 57 Tbird spring standing next to the CC850 Aerostar spring from Rockauto. The standing free height difference is substantial. Is this what others have found? I thought I had cut the original springs but looking them over I didn't when I replaced them 7(?) years ago. Any comments will help. Don't want to make a mistake putting this on with the Granada spindles.

Yes, I just did mine and I can confirm thte difference in height I've got a pic almost like yours just to prove it. Mine dropped about 2.
I test fitted the Granada spindles and Aerostar front springs to get an idea of the ride height. It sits at 24 1/8 inches at the fender lip though the hub to the floor. Steering clearance seems good but will have to be careful on turning into driveways, etc. too fast. The tie rod holes in the spindles will need reaming to accept the tie rod end studs. I put the reamer into the hole to see where it wants to start cutting and it starts at the top of the hole.

By The Master Cylinder - 12 Years Ago
Mark, what are your tie rod ends off of. I didn't have to ream the spindles for my tie rod ends, just the ball joint. Also, being that low check to lower rubber A arm bumper. I had to trim mine to prevent riding on the bumper all the time. You may not have to trim it because mine has the spring cup spacers also. Easy check.

Please take into account that the above is referring to my RanchWagon, altho I believe the Bird to be the same.
By Frankenstein57 - 11 Years Ago
Mark, if you get a chance measure the compressed height of the spring, with the weight on it
By MarkMontereyBay - 11 Years Ago
The tie rods I am using are the ones bought years ago from a Tbird parts house. I am still dealing with plumbing the brake lines, etc. Once I finish and set the car down, I will try to get a compressed spring height. Pretty damn cold here for us West Coast folks. Have to do my laundry and run the dryer in the garage to keep warm today.
By The Master Cylinder - 11 Years Ago
You're right it's cold here at the beach too. Turned on my garden hose this morning and these clear cylinder shaped things came out. Danged if it didn't get cold enough to freeze the water in the hose last night. w00tw00t

Checked my radiator after that. I only have distilled water in the '55. Guess it didn't get cold enough in the garage. Wrenches are dang cold tho.
By charliemccraney - 11 Years Ago
I did some front suspension work on my Firebird over the past few weeks. Mine is a WS6 which is the RPO for performance suspension which includes performance springs, bigger sway bars, bigger wheels and wider tires, and a faster ratio steering box, oh, and a cool emblem on the dash. What that boils down to is that my springs will be different than most other Firebirds and Camaros made between 1982 and 1992 so I don't know if this will help much. The only significant difference may be the height and rate. Maybe they could be another option.

The free height of the spring is about 14". The height installed and just sitting on relatively level ground is difficult to measure, but it should be in the neighborhood of 10" based on measurements I took before re-installing the springs. This is in a car that weighs about 3450lbs without the driver. The OD is about 5.5".

Does that sound like it could work?
Back at work on the Tbird disc brake swap. Have everything in place; Granada front spindles and rotors/calipers, Aerostar springs, dual manual master cylinder, Wilwood prop valve, battery relocated, etc. Just have to bleed the brakes and see if it all works tomorrow morning. Does anyone have a source for rear axle lowering blocks/U Bolts?. Also I trimmed the front lower A arm frame bumpers but would like to find an aftermarket set that could do a better looking job.
By charliemccraney - 11 Years Ago
You can find lowering blocks and aftermarket, universal a arm bumpers at Summit.
By MoonShadow - 11 Years Ago
Go to Speedway and pay less. Chuck
Speedway has what I want. I always try to get stuff from Summit. It is always on the front porch the next day after I order but they didn't show much this time. There warehouse is in Reno, so very quick shipping to me here. I will order from Speedway but takes much longer. Thanks.
Got the brakes bled...finally and now have brakes indeed. Backed it out of the garage then up and down the driveway to make sure no disasters were pending. Due to the Aerostar springs and the drop using the Granada spindles it is low in the front. Had a penguin stance though and spent the afternoon re-setting the alignment. Took it out on the road and it stops just fine without power brakes, very nice. Not so good getting into the driveway or turns. Too low...Aerostar springs are coming out and the original springs I had in it going back in for test drive number two.
By glrbird - 11 Years Ago
Mark

Did you take any pictures of the car before you removed the aero springs? Would you take some "after" you get the orgional springs in and post them? I would love to see how low "too low" is.
Gary, there is a photo on Page 2 of this thread where I test fitted the Aerostar springs. One of the problems is that the Granada spindles widened the track of the front wheels. I have about 3/4 inch plus between the upper ball joint where I had maybe a 1/4 inch before. This caused the tires to rub the inside of the fender well on bumps and turning a tight radius was a major problem. I finished putting it back on the springs I had yesterday and spent most of the day futzing with the alignment. It is lower than before but only an inch or so but it is driveable and only rubs if I hit the driveway bump to fast on turning in. I am going to call it good for now. Here are some photos from this evening. The driveway slopes toward the street so the car isn't level and it does sit lower in the front. The measurement is now about 25 1/4 at the fender lip. The disc brakes make it stop straight without pull. I like it. I'll get a couple photos on level ground tomorrow. Getting dark here now.

By skygazer - 11 Years Ago
MarkMontereyBay (4/14/2013)
... One of the problems is that the Granada spindles widened the track of the front wheels. I have about 3/4 inch plus between the upper ball joint where I had maybe a 1/4 inch before. This caused the tires to rub the inside of the fender well on bumps and turning a tight radius was a major problem...

Nice car! It's great to see it together!

When I installed the Granada spindles (1.5" drop), I mocked up the front end without springs, installed tires and wheels (205x75R15 = basically stock), then jacked up the A-arms and checked clearance lock to lock. I ended up putting about 3/8" of spacers under the lower bump stop to limit the suspension travel. I haven't noticed any rubbing issue at all with Aerostar springs.

Actually, I'm more concerned about ground clearance over some of the absurdly high speed bumps at the local supermarket!
Here are a few photos from this morning. I have 225/60 15's on Torque Thrusts which are 7 inches wide with 3.75 backspacing that limit how low I can go.

By glrbird - 11 Years Ago
Mark

Thanks for the picks, I have be getting my parts together to do the disk swap, and wondered about the aero springs. I like the height yours is with orgional springs. If I need it lower I can cut the springs. Car looks great, I too am a fan of the old torque thrust.
By bird55 - 11 Years Ago
Looks great to me too. Smile
By Jim - 11 Years Ago
I put the Grenada spindles on my 56 several years back, got the whole setup from Drop-n-stop. There were two versions, I got the one with the most drop and as I recall, it was around 1.5-2 inches. Did not do anything with the springs.

My '54 convertible had the springs shortened before I bought it and it does throw the geometry off and is almost impossible to get a decent front end alignment. I am going to go back to the stock springs and do the Grenada setup with it as it works so well on the Fairlane.