Profile Picture

292 cranks as strokers for 289/302's

Posted By MarkMontereyBay 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I read that in the past, 292 Y block cranks were modified to stroke 289 and 302 SBFs. Wondering about the history of that and if the forged version crankshaft in heavy trucks were used.

Have been looking around on the web and found that Jack Rousch used a 292 Yblock crank to stroke the anemic 302 79 Mustang Indy Pace Car.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

PF Arcand
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Months Ago
The part about Rousch using a 292 crank for a SBF stroker in 1979 is interesting. Would be interesting to know more about that?

Paul
Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday

The forged steel cranks were used for the SBF strokers back when the only stroker cranks available for Small Block Fords were steel billet.  Once the aftermarket started making inexpensive cranks for the Small Block Ford, using a modified 292 truck crankshaft in the SBF just went away.  I thought I heard somewhere that the Indy SBF's used a modified 292 truck crank back in the Sixties.  Maybe someone can help to confirm this?

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Ted:

Maybe you were thinking of another project from Ford.  When they were going to provide an Indy pace car ('64 Mustang maybe) with a 289 they decided they needed more inches for more speed.  302s weren't here yet, so they stroked a 289 with a 292 crank.  I have an article somewhere in a Hot Rod magazine.  Maybe I can find it. 

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

aussiebill
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hoosier Hurricane (11/23/2012)
Ted:

Maybe you were thinking of another project from Ford.  When they were going to provide an Indy pace car ('64 Mustang maybe) with a 289 they decided they needed more inches for more speed.  302s weren't here yet, so they stroked a 289 with a 292 crank.  I have an article somewhere in a Hot Rod magazine.  Maybe I can find it. 

Just another use for worn journal 272/292 cranks here in Australia in the 70,s was to modify and stroke them to use in speedboats with local 308 ci holden V8 engines, common in local cars, these were done by Ken Waggot of Waggot cams, i know because they brought any cranks i had over the years, i dont recall what capacity they increased to but were popular. Regards bill.Smile

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

PF Arcand
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Months Ago
This is interesting stuff.. especially so I can annoy some SBC afficonados with it. Anyway, a long shot thought, is it possible, that since the taller deck 351 SBFs, are from the same family of engines, as the 289-302s, could their cranks be modified to provide stroker cranks for Y-Blocks?

Paul
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Paul:

I looked into that, it would be too much of a project for me to undertake.  The 351 crank has too short a front snout, too short on the back end and has no flange to mount the flywheel.  Also, the center main thrust surfaces are .010 farther apart than the Y.  The 351C has the same thrust width as the Y, but still has the length problems at both ends.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

aussiebill
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
PF Arcand (11/24/2012)
This is interesting stuff.. especially so I can annoy some SBC afficonados with it. Anyway, a long shot thought, is it possible, that since the taller deck 351 SBFs, are from the same family of engines, as the 289-302s, could their cranks be modified to provide stroker cranks for Y-Blocks?

I might be wrong but with all the theoreticall machining and adapting to make a used 351 crank into a substantial stroker, wouldnt it be cost effective to get new modlex crank or similar and know its right? Smile

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

MoonShadow
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Aren't the Holdens the scrubs of down under? That means they used Y cranks to wake up scrubs? Wow! Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
LordMrFord
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
351's flange is just there where rear seal should be, so you have to to move flange (or replace to Y's flange) or machine the block's sealing area to get o-ring around the flange like SBF and make long adapter to flywheel. In both way it is very hard. Am I right?

Hyvinkää, FI

Reading This Topic

Site Meter