Profile Picture

292 cranks as strokers for 289/302's

Posted By MarkMontereyBay 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
LordMrFord (11/25/2012)
351's flange is just there where rear seal should be, so you have to to move flange (or replace to Y's flange) or machine the block's sealing area to get o-ring around the flange like SBF and make long adapter to flywheel. In both way it is very hard. Am I right?

Very right.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

aussiebill
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
MoonShadow (11/25/2012)
Aren't the Holdens the scrubs of down under? That means they used Y cranks to wake up scrubs? Wow! Chuck

Chuck, thats right! On another note, we went to hotrod charity birthday bash on sunday and my young  daughter won a raffle prize while i was outside and turned out to be framed print of 55 ch**! i tried to sneak it out to car past friends but hey! whats that? came the cry and with bowed head i had to show them! Worst day of my life, caught with this!.Tongue

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Moz
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
i just read your post bill & my eyes have fallen out & im now blind

moz. geelong victoria australia.

graduate 1980, bus, truck, car, hot rod, boat, submarine, hovercraft, hydrafoil, firetruck, mobile home, jet, helicopter, cruise ship, motorcycle, bicycle, santa's sleigh, clock, alloy bullbar, alloy fuel tank, lens, dr who's tardis, matter - anti matter warp drive buffer & y-block lover

Glen Henderson
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Ted, if my old brain is working right this morning, I think I remember the late Richard Gaston talking about the early 60's Indy engines in one of his articles. But since the rules only allowed 255 cubes at the time they must have been used to destroke a 260 block and since Ford was deeply involved in this project there may have been extra block machining performed.

Glen Henderson

Freedom is not Free

Letohatchee, AL
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)Supercharged (5.0K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Well, I found the article in Oct 1964 Hot Rod, and it wasn't what any of us thought.  Ak Miller was building a stroker 289, "just because".  Hot Rod reported on it, and Isky tested it on his dyno.  Crankshaft Company made the stroker by machining the rear flange and front snout to small block configuration, grinding the mains to size, and grinding the throws to 2" to fit the CSC's special rods with Olds 215 rod bearings.  Offset grinding was available to allow up to 352 cubic inches.  Apparently it worked well enough that CSC decided to market them.  It would be much more difficult to go the other way, putting a 351 crank in a Y. 

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Small block
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I gust came across this old post ,
I remember  Reading About  the  Shelby team using a 292 truck crank in both there AC Cobra and there GT40 cars,
These engines worked well but the extra stroke added stress to the 289 block causing Cracks in the main webbing.
They stated the engines were  ok for short races but they wouldn't last a 24 hour race like Lemans!
 The cranks   Shelby used were destroked to 3.25 stroke!    The information was quite limited  because
Shelby didn't want to many to know what  they were doing to make the cars competitive!
NoShortcuts
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hmmmm...  Interesting, Small Block.

THANKS for sharing that info.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
yalincoln
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)Supercharged (573 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
say john, try the 63 indy article? not sure whitch magazine. I remember readeing about it.

lincoln/merc. y-blocks &mel's                                                               bucyrus, ohio.
2721955meteor
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Months Ago
Hoosier Hurricane (11/23/2012)
Ted:

Maybe you were thinking of another project from Ford.  When they were going to provide an Indy pace car ('64 Mustang maybe) with a 289 they decided they needed more inches for more speed.  302s weren't here yet, so they stroked a 289 with a 292 crank.  I have an article somewhere in a Hot Rod magazine.  Maybe I can find it. 

I went threw some old info and found the artical(it shows 3 cranks 260.289 and the forged 292 and a pictur of? poss. jack himself. cliff

PF Arcand
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 7 Months Ago
There was an article many years ago about the 1964 (?) Ford Indy engines reprinted in Y-Block Magazine. I don't recall anything about the crankshafts being mentioned, but those SBF based engines, apparently used some of the upper valve gear from Y-Blocks, because the factory SBF upper ends were considered to not be durable enough for a 500 mile race. Apparently, some of the mods were put together with Isky involved..

Paul

Reading This Topic

Site Meter