Profile Picture

Need Some Skoolin in Oil Pans on the "Y"s

Posted By Oldmics 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
The center of the most common truck pan, the 5 quart pan is about 4".  The deepest part is about 5 5/8"
The HD 6 quart pan is about 4 5/8" at the center and 6 3/8" at the deepest.

Lawrenceville, GA
willys392
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
If you are asking me, the deepest part of the truck pan isn't 6" deep, so I would say you would be alright.  I added an inch and a half to my modified pan and it only measures 7".

Bill
Charles
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Are you able to measure the lowest point of the middle section on the Truck pan ? I need it to be less than 6" deep so my Tie will not hit it. This will tell me weather I purchase one or not.

Thanks,
Charles
willys392
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)Supercharged (76 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
here's some pictures of what I had to do to get the truck pan to fit with an aftermarket crossmember. It's a 292 using the stock motor mounts on a 56 F100 frame. The crossmember is from a Mustang II suspension.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/adab7f85-e465-40b4-adcf-ef8e.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/02d67f89-5e40-412f-a280-ee7b.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6f5e3240-183b-4cb5-bcb9-f103.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c3393467-0769-4eb8-a1a0-30b0.jpg
2721955meteor
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
my truck pan is the same as the centre picture from ted. it has the baffle shown in picture. it came from a f3 with tulip style exhaust with high mount fan front cover. dip stick centre of block. 
will it fit in a bird,it did in my case but never had to remove the pan and that was25years ago.i do remember not having the water pump spacer or correct front damper. had to make gen mounts and mod pulleys .i do remember it was not easy putting a non bird engine in due to differences in the front,i did use a f1 front cover and mount(with ought high mount fan place
Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago

John. Minimum depth would be 1¼“. That should just barely clear for a 312 stroke with ECZ rods. Give yourself an extra ¼“ to be on the safe side.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Red_John
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Ted -- I believe I am going to have to modify the front of the rear sump oil pan to fit the 292 into my '55 pickup to clear the cross member on my new suspension. What is the minimum depth of the pan to clear the crank?

Thanks

John S
Doug T
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Months Ago
If you are tryin' to add volume to your T bird oil pan it pretty easy to add about 1" to the depth of sump. I have done this and will post a pic when I get to the computer where the pic resides. If you do it you will need to drop the right hand arm of the steering linkage so that the linkage will drop out of the way as the pan goes past it when the engine is inserted in the chassis. For me dropping the linkage is necessary whether installing with or without the trany.

As Gary says, the HD truck pan is closest to the T bird pan but to use one you would need to section something out of the front of the pan because there is not a lot of space between the x member and the front of the stock T bird pan. A Show T bird would loose points for sure with a modified HD truck pan, because it is not otherwise identical to the stock pan even if the welds are hidden, (but the engine wouldn't care!)

Doug T

The Highlands, Louisville, Ky.

Genuinerod
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
They say, the fastest way to the brain is through the eyes, Ted is the master. Thanks Ted for all your time and effort.
Jim
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Administrator

Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Year
Love it Ted, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Jim (site owner)
'56 Club Sedan - Ted Eaton built 429 hp '292/318, '54 Sunliner - stock '302

Reading This Topic

Site Meter