Profile Picture

distributor and other upgrades

Posted By 55fordf100 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
does anybody know where to pickup up a HEI distributor cheaper that 300 to 400 bucks? and also some minor upgrades with out taking the motor apart. im going to put a 500cfm Holley 2bbl and has anybody put E3 spark pugs in a yblock? anything will help thanks

Let me get this straight your honda has 1.6 liters and my bottle of mountain dew has 2
gekko13
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
If you are seeking to convert to an electronic system, the Ford Duraspark internals will swap into a "late-style",  '57 - up distributor.  You can then wire it to a box of your choice.  The Pertronix stuff is also popular.  Personally, I do not like the GM style HEI but to each his own.  JMO
Talkwrench
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Steve will probably jump in here...

You can make up your own HEI by simply using your dissy as the trigger and adding a 4 pin Bosch HEI. Personally I like HEI, If you have ever seen the spark it produces..geez!   But it maybe easier going Pertronix. I am about to try out the Lightning 3 its a multi spark right through the rev range ..doesn't cut out at 3000rpm like another "name" brand. I'll let you all know how it goes , not that Im expecting any real difference.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"

Grizzly
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)Supercharged (322 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
55fordf100,

What size is your y block and what exhaust are you running? I have a holley 350 two barrel on my 272 and it is plenty of carb for that engine. I'd argue that a two barrel 350 is all you need for a 292 most people get better performance from a 390,  450, 495 four barrel as the primaries are smaller and provide a crisp throttle. A larger carb will not be advantageous as the engine/exhaust will not flow more than about 90% volumetric efficiency. Do the math.

E plugs are probably snake oil. Most exotic metal cored multi tipped spark plugs are. Most of these variables have been tried several times. There is a reason that spark plugs are the same as they were 100 years ago when they were invented.  

If you have an original 55 y block and it's still running vacuum only advance and a 94. It's a really good project to change to a Modern carb on a later manifold and a dizzy with both mechanical and vacuum advance and dual exhaust. This makes the y crisp and energetic and surprisingly good in the configuration.

Cheers

Warren

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/41f30774-424d-428d-9c7a-e351.jpg Grizzly (Aussie Mainline)

4thgen57
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (11 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (11 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (11 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (11 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (11 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (11 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (11 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (11 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (11 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
I'm running a Pertronix Ignitor I kit in my stock dist.Believe you can pick these up for about $85 now. It installed in less that an hour and was able to use same coil and wires. Hasnt given me any trouble yet.
55fordf100
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
im putting lake side headers on it and a flame thower 3 coil on it thats my plan any other in puts?

Let me get this straight your honda has 1.6 liters and my bottle of mountain dew has 2
oldcarmark
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
If you decide to ad Pertronix get the Pertronix 2 not the original.Pertronix 2 wont burn out if you leave the key turned on without the motor running.The original Pertronix will burn out in minutes because of the heat generated without the motor running.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
GREENBIRD56
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
This illustration shows the "three lobed stem" Motorcraft Y-block distributor you are looking for. Often available as a replacement for a 1964 Ford 292 truck application. Saves a hassle in explaining your intent to a sales clerk.

The point plate will look like this....

The points can be replaced with one of several aftermarket "points replacement" trigger units. The earliest version of the Pertronix Ignitior has a tendency to fry if you accidently leave it on with the engine dead - but any of the others will work fine. The upper rotor shaft (cam), points, and parts can also be swapped with the trigger unit of a Ford "Duraspark II" distributor (used from 1974 to 1985). This isn't a difficult mechanical conversion once you have the parts in front of you. The Ford triggers are pretty bulletproof - and parts are available. Once you have the Ford trigger in there - all sorts of control boxes and coils can be used to complete the ignition.

Basically the power of an inductive ignition spark has to do with how many amps you can reliably feed the coil to charge it. The higher energy electronic spark systems have coils with low primary OHMs - and therefore have to have higher rated grounding transistors and amperage control circuitry. If you are interested in doing your own  - and for a low price and straight forward design - you cannot beat using the Ford trigger with a GM type HEI "four pin" controller.

None of this is rocket science and you will soon have a powerful ignition - with no great expense. Using the low OHM GM coil shown below will net "high performance" without the big price of big name hot rod parts suppliers. This one is out of a 4.3 S-10 pickup and had two nice snap connectors. Primary OHMs are about .5 - don't use one with a controller that doesn't have amperage control. Many of the "points replacement" unit specifically say they must be used with coils that don't have lower than 1.5 OHMs primary resistance - this would burn them up.

The GM 4 pin controllers are avaiable from several outfits - besides left over "real" GM parts. It gets mounted on a nice chunk of aluminum with heat couplant paste (and hidden away from water) to reject heat. Mounted outside the distributor (where it was originally located in the factory distributor) nets a huge gain in heat reduction.

I rig these up with an ignition ("on") operated relay to handle the amps needed to fully charge the coil - and do it out under the hood. Keeps the big loads out of your dash. The HEI controller uses a Motorola chip to turn on the coil with a transistor ground - and then shuts it off when it has handled all the heat it can reliably manage.

The above trace shows the results - the saturated coil has 5.5 AMPs of current and when the circuit breaks - the secondary will have a serious jolt to deliver.BigGrin

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

gekko13
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Steve, that is a terrific explanation of how to convert to electronic ignition.  I notice that you call out a GM coil.  Is the Ford TFI coil compatible with the GM 4-pin type module?  I would like to do a conversion on a couple of my vehicles but would prefer to keep them as FoMoCo as possible.  Thanks!
GREENBIRD56
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The TFI "E-core" coil will work just fine - and I'd say it will have a long and useful life. But the energy it delivers just won't be up there like the GM unit shown in the test illustration above. The speed at which the coil current rises will be considerably reduced - due to the greater primary resistance. The Ford trigger beats the GM set-up hands down - but the controllers and coils don't have the high current edge.

MSD has a "Streetfire" replacement coil for the TFI unit - about .44 OHMs primary - and it will use the same snap on Ford connector. Given the opportunity - I'd say try them both and see what you think. This unit below is a common replacement for the GM coil - and with the exception of the connector - looks just like the Ford part.

A friend of mine built one of these to use on a "cold blooded" 460 truck engine - and now it starts like it ought to, cranks right up. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

Reading This Topic

Site Meter