Profile Picture

distributor and other upgrades

Posted By 55fordf100 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
55: Might want to check out that 500 CFM Holley 2 Bbls intended usage. At least one model is actually intended as a limited class race carb. Likely not your best street carb...

Paul
Talkwrench
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
im putting lake side headers on it and a flame thower 3 coil on it thats my plan any other in puts?

Dont be using that coil. its around .35 ohms and unless your setup is designed for it, it wont be doing you any favours!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"

gekko13
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)Supercharged (201 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Thank you Steve for the information re. the GM coil.  I had an early ('76 Corvette) HEI take a $%it on me back in the day and have been leery of them ever since.  I appreciate your expertise.
55fordf100
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)Normally aspirated (42 reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
the motor is out of a 1957 f100 not a 1955

Let me get this straight your honda has 1.6 liters and my bottle of mountain dew has 2
Lord Gaga
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
I'd like to do the 4 pin HEI conversion as outlined by GREENBIRD56.
My car has overdrive. Will the momentary grounding of the coil by the kick down switch fry the module?

"FREE SAMPLE"
GREENBIRD56
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

That's definitely not one of the things I've tried out for sure. The 4 pin chip has current limiting - but a dead short might not be the best sort of use for that feature.

The control power to the module might be the best place to ground or interupt it - I'm assuming that's the means to momentarily reduce engine torque while the shift occurs?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
Lord Gaga
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

GREENBIRD56 (2/14/2013)
That's definitely not one of the things I've tried out for sure. The 4 pin chip has current limiting - but a dead short might not be the best sort of use for that feature.

The control power to the module might be the best place to ground or interupt it - I'm assuming that's the means to momentarily reduce engine torque while the shift occurs?

Yes, the coil is grounded just long enough to allow the solenoid to pull the pawl out of the O.D. "gizmo".....maybe one second or less? I'm not sure.
So, could I somehow use a relay in the power wire to the module from the ign. switch that would be controlled by the kick-down switch? Or?
This is a diagram of what I have:

Thanks, I'd sure appreciate any suggestions.

"FREE SAMPLE"
GREENBIRD56
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

I just woke up to the realization that providing an additional (and parallel) path to ground from the negative post of the coil shouldn't do much to the controller module. All of those little electrons just wander home by the shortest route - and if that avoids the transistor temporarily - no big deal.....

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
Lord Gaga
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

That's good news. I'll start gathering the parts needed and give it a go. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

"FREE SAMPLE"
The Master Cylinder
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
GREENBIRD56 (8/11/2012)
This illustration shows the "three lobed stem" Motorcraft Y-block distributor you are looking for.....

Excellent write up, Steve, give you 5 stars. Thanks for sharing, I think this should go into the Tech Article section to preserve for all to reference.

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

Reading This Topic

Site Meter