Profile Picture

About Argentine heads

Posted By Highvoltage 17 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 12 Years Ago
The production of vehicles in Argentina by Ford, powered by V8 engines always was based on 292 Y-blocks. 50`s cars and trucks imported from USA were equiped with original engines. Vehicles from normal production(trucks at earlys 60) was equiped with Y blocks, some imported 312, 368 and some 352" FE`s. Later, Y-blocks became standard and only V8 engine that Argie Ford put on it`s vehicles. In 1969 ford introduce a 4door sedan called Fairlane, Know in USA to carry a small blocks and FE`s engine. But Ford introduce that car with an Y-block on current production for F100/350/600 trucks.

During 1966, Argentinian Racers were working with many inventions to give your cars more power. Based on a technical race rules and some parameters, Ford in conjunction with ford racers develop a design based on 289" small block heads. It was basically an Y-block with Small block heads and cam with sball block firing order and small block intake and exhaust ports order. Also was reduced on displacement to 4 liter(maybe 240") Reach the scary amount of 320 HP.

On 1969, Ford decide to make the mod to Y-blocks impulsed by results of that modification and some excuese about the bad an small space in the fairlane engine compartment.

The results was called "fase 2"(phase II) Then people star to call "fhase 1" to the original 292 desing.

The diferences are:

-New head desing, based on 289 heads with same valve order(I-E/I-E/I-E/I-E) versus original ford design or fhase 1 head(E-I/I-E/E-I/I-E)(I=intake, E=exhaust)

-Because the head, the cam was a new design based on the Small block order.

-exhaust manifolds was made same as 289 xhaust manifolds as seen on the pic.

Other changes was the relocation of the oil charge tube, you can see it on the pic, located on valve cover.

Argie engines on stock condition always was the same 2, only variation was the type of oilpans(fortruck or car): compression ratio(7,1:1 for trucks and 8:1 for Fairlane) by changing pistons(dish, flat and a late version of dome pistos); electronic ignition; diameter of valves(smaller for trucks an larger for cars and F100 post 80`s) and the same 2 barrel holley carb.

Later I`m going to post a traslation to english of the making of that engine thatwas the inspiration for the argie design.

Cheers,

Mariano

Highvoltage
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (23 reputation)

Forgot to mention something. Here in Argentina aren`t performance pieces for this engines. Only some piston, cams builders but the rest goes for each racer or designer. I know a people who are working to make aluminum timing covers and some experimental aluminum intake manifolds for original and phase 2 engines.
Ted
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Thanks for the info.  The picture of the engine out of the vehicle starts to answer some of the questions regarding these engines and your dialogue clears up many questions also.  Look forward to more information and especially details about intake manifolds, rocker arms and related hardware, etc.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Y block Billy
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Highvoltage,

Very interesting, I have always wondered about those engines.

One question with the cam and valve arrangement change is, Did they always stick with a solid mushroom lifter or did they make some blocks with drop in or hydraulic lifters???

the other big question is what ever happened to the molds for those catings??? It would be nice if they were dug out of the rubble somewhere.

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

Highvoltage
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Sorry, I have 2 minutes to share with you.

Thanks Billy & Ted for your interest.

The same mechanical lifters remains on Phase II engines. Same rocker arms configuration too.

Moulds are at original foundry buildings, they made a set of 50 pair by year for some parts dealers, but they make it on cast iron. It would be better if they  make it on aluminum. We must wait for some miracle...

MoonShadow
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
At this point no body here has any specific knowledge about these heads. We would probably need to get a head, or a set of them, to bench test. Are there any "Flow Test" results available on them? If they flow better and the manifold issue can be resolved maybe we could have them cast some for us?Smile Aluminum is great but If they are good enough Iron is fine! Shipping may be a problem cost wise but a slow boat is usually cheapest. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Highvoltage
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Another view

63 Red Stake Bed
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)Supercharged (194 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Hello gang.

I think the argentina heads would be well worth the shipping money, should someone decide to go get some!

No, but seriously, if you look on youtube.com, & type in Y block, you can find some short videos of argentina y blocks being run.  The sould of the engine is definetly a cross breed of the loveable Y, & a small blocks snappy response.

Some rebop heads would be in high demand!  would be much better than plain alum. heads with semi improved ports.

It's only money right??

63 stakebed

MoonShadow
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Anibal,

Can someone out there come up with a decent set of Argentine heads? Ship them to Ted Eaton and let him test them. If they are good, and if Ford Argentina continues to make 50 sets a year, we could buy a run or have a run done in aluminum if possible. Just food for thought.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 17 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Chuck:

There is a pair of them in the US.  One was at EXPO 3 or 4 years ago, for the life of me I can't remember who brought it.  He had brought them from Argentina.

At the time we sort of passed over them, camshaft issue mainly.  Now I'm sure we could get a windsor cam made with Y sized journals, use a belt driven oil pump and crank trigger ignition.  Or import Argentine blanks and have them ground to profiles we want.

John

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter