Profile Picture

SMALL BLOCK IN A 56 ???????????

Posted By THRASHER 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
What headers will work if I put a 302 or 351 Windsor in my  Victoria ?
slumlord444
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
I can't understand why anyone would want to do that?
THRASHER
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)Turbocharged (51 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
The Y-Block angines are WAY before my time. I know the small block Ford engines and parts are plenty.Just my opinion Tho
MoonShadow
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Not only are Y-Block parts easy to find there is a LOT of movement in the aftermarket for parts like Aluminum heads etc. Why pull one of the fifties best engines? My 2 cents. Chuck

PS I expect you will hear from D. Thrasher too! He's a real Y's guy. BigGrin

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

junkyardjeff
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
You will need to keep your desire for latemodel motors quiet on here,I will have to admit my 55 has a 351 but will be going back to Y power when I get the money. If you dont need to have full length headers you might want to look into the 80s to 90s truck shorty headers.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
speedpro56
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I used to have a 390 HP FE in my 56 crown. It did run great but built my 312 back up and it,s in it now and no way the 390 would catch it, thanks to the new HP parts available for the Y-Block, The 390 rated at 335 hp and the Y-Block somewhere close to 430 to 450 hp and a LOT more fun. Plus the 390 lowered the value on the crown way too much, so a lesson was learned.Tongue

-Gary Burnette-

charliemccraney
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
They're way before my time, too. But the fact of the matter is that it's essentially the same thing. If you can work on a small block, I guarantee you'll be alright with a Y Block. Actually, I'd say if you can work on an engine, you'll be fine with a Y.

I don't know if anyone here can help with your header question, but I will give you some things to think about.

Unless you go with a fuel injected, roller cammed 302, you'll be way down on torque. This means the car will be slower, less fun to drive, and get worse mileage - and you do a lot of work, or pay someone a good bit of money to do this. That just doesn't make sense.

If you're going to go through the hassle of a swap, make it count. I wouldn't consider anything smaller than a 351, but if I was forking out the dough or spending the time, I'd go big block, 390, 460, something like that. If I'm going through all that, I want to notice it.

I don't know your skill level or circumstances but a swap will involve a lot more than may appear at first glance, money and/or time and/or skill. Make sure it is something you can really take on so that it does not become another butchered, unfinished engine swap car for sale.

I really can't think of any reason to swap, other than for power. If you need 600+ streetable hp, I can understand. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense; there's not a whole lot to gain.

Why are you considering a swap?

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Back in the day (early Seventies) I did see some small block Fords in the mid Fifties Ford cars but I saw none with headers.  The 271HP 289 hi-po exhausts were used quite a bit on those conversions though.  Regarding performance, a local guy pulled his 312 from his chopped top ’56 Victoria and installed a ‘hopped up’ and bored 302 SBF.  His comments after doing this was he was very disappointed with the performance of the 302 versus that of the 312.  His observations centered around the low end grunt he saw with both engines.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Y block Billy
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Homemade!

I take it this aint the Doug Thrasher because isn't he a Y guru anyway!

If your going to butcher up a 56 victoria with a small block, you may as well butcher it up with homemade headers.

Just my 2 cents.

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

Y block Billy
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Forgot to ask, is that a 50's Victoria or a late 80's 90's victoria, they had small blocks anyway.

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter