SMALL BLOCK IN A 56 ???????????

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic68286.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By THRASHER - 12 Years Ago
What headers will work if I put a 302 or 351 Windsor in my  Victoria ?
By slumlord444 - 12 Years Ago
I can't understand why anyone would want to do that?
The Y-Block angines are WAY before my time. I know the small block Ford engines and parts are plenty.Just my opinion Tho
By MoonShadow - 12 Years Ago
Not only are Y-Block parts easy to find there is a LOT of movement in the aftermarket for parts like Aluminum heads etc. Why pull one of the fifties best engines? My 2 cents. Chuck

PS I expect you will hear from D. Thrasher too! He's a real Y's guy. BigGrin

By junkyardjeff - 12 Years Ago
You will need to keep your desire for latemodel motors quiet on here,I will have to admit my 55 has a 351 but will be going back to Y power when I get the money. If you dont need to have full length headers you might want to look into the 80s to 90s truck shorty headers.
By speedpro56 - 12 Years Ago
I used to have a 390 HP FE in my 56 crown. It did run great but built my 312 back up and it,s in it now and no way the 390 would catch it, thanks to the new HP parts available for the Y-Block, The 390 rated at 335 hp and the Y-Block somewhere close to 430 to 450 hp and a LOT more fun. Plus the 390 lowered the value on the crown way too much, so a lesson was learned.Tongue
By charliemccraney - 12 Years Ago
They're way before my time, too. But the fact of the matter is that it's essentially the same thing. If you can work on a small block, I guarantee you'll be alright with a Y Block. Actually, I'd say if you can work on an engine, you'll be fine with a Y.

I don't know if anyone here can help with your header question, but I will give you some things to think about.

Unless you go with a fuel injected, roller cammed 302, you'll be way down on torque. This means the car will be slower, less fun to drive, and get worse mileage - and you do a lot of work, or pay someone a good bit of money to do this. That just doesn't make sense.

If you're going to go through the hassle of a swap, make it count. I wouldn't consider anything smaller than a 351, but if I was forking out the dough or spending the time, I'd go big block, 390, 460, something like that. If I'm going through all that, I want to notice it.

I don't know your skill level or circumstances but a swap will involve a lot more than may appear at first glance, money and/or time and/or skill. Make sure it is something you can really take on so that it does not become another butchered, unfinished engine swap car for sale.

I really can't think of any reason to swap, other than for power. If you need 600+ streetable hp, I can understand. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense; there's not a whole lot to gain.

Why are you considering a swap?
By Ted - 12 Years Ago
Back in the day (early Seventies) I did see some small block Fords in the mid Fifties Ford cars but I saw none with headers.  The 271HP 289 hi-po exhausts were used quite a bit on those conversions though.  Regarding performance, a local guy pulled his 312 from his chopped top ’56 Victoria and installed a ‘hopped up’ and bored 302 SBF.  His comments after doing this was he was very disappointed with the performance of the 302 versus that of the 312.  His observations centered around the low end grunt he saw with both engines.
By Y block Billy - 12 Years Ago
Homemade!

I take it this aint the Doug Thrasher because isn't he a Y guru anyway!

If your going to butcher up a 56 victoria with a small block, you may as well butcher it up with homemade headers.

Just my 2 cents.

Forgot to ask, is that a 50's Victoria or a late 80's 90's victoria, they had small blocks anyway.
oops! you do say 56 in the subject, it doesnt show up in the message and I never looked up top.
The 351 I have in my 55 does not have as much torque as the 272 it replaced.
By Doug T - 12 Years Ago
No I don't have a '56 and I wouldn't put a small block in one if I did have one.  If fact I am going the other way.  I just bought a 63 1/2 Falcon Sprint and I am going to Y block it!! 

Doug Thrasher Tongue

By PWH42 - 12 Years Ago
I can't understand why someone would come to a site for Y-blocks to get information about something unrelated to Y-blocks.
By The Master Cylinder - 12 Years Ago
PWH42 (2/11/2012)
I can't understand why someone would come to a site for Y-blocks to get information about something unrelated to Y-blocks.

Exactly my first thought before I even read any of the other responses. Ermm
Thanks for the clarification Doug and congrats on Y blocking a Falcon.

On another note, Aren't you the one who made the cartoon of the Y coming out of the grave tapping on the scrub shoulder saying "Were Back" and the RIP grave stone. I love that cartoon and we have to get somebody to make T shirts of it.

By lyonroad - 12 Years Ago
Just so I can keep up with the lingo, what's a "scrub"?

Thanks
Anything made by gm. Bad robot, bad bad bad. Smile Chuck
So ,I guess the general concencus is that I should re-install the rebuilt 292 that came with my Vic when I bought it.Huh ?LOL
It is your car after all. On this site we are rabid fans of the Y-Block and believe strongly that they were given a bum rap by the scrub mania of the 50's and 60's. If you search this forum you will find a much different picture of the racing venues of that period and the Y-Block dominance. Yes thats correct Y-Block dominance.

Most of us are a bit older and have been fans of the Y for many years. We were first hand experiencing the slanted press that continues to this day. Almost any open brand site you visit is overrun with gm with the occasional token Ford/Mercury.

For these reasons we hate to see a Y-Block replaced with any other engine but especially by scrub's.

If the only reason you were considering the swap is to get a more modern engine I would recommend you give the rebuilt Y a shot first. With minimal expense to update the engine it can be a good performer along with the correctness of keeping the car "stock".

Again it is your car we can only recommend based on our personal experience and preferences. Thanks for coming to the forum to ask your questions. Chuck

THRASHER (2/12/2012)
So ,I guess the general concencus is that I should re-install the rebuilt 292 that came with my Vic when I bought it.Huh ?LOL

Yep. It might surprise you.

There are other benefits, too. You can leave the stock motor installed and actually manage to be "different" as a result because it's almost guaranteed there won't be many Ys at a show.

You will also get many questions about the unique looking motor you swapped in, when in fact it is stock.

Occasionally, you may be chastised by so called Ford guys about putting a Chevy in your car. That happened to me once and it was fun.

And you'll get questions about it simply because it's not that common.
I am considering a SMALL BLOCK FORD (351 WINDSOR) ....,NOT A SMALL BLOCK CHEVY.
By pegleg - 12 Years Ago
Thrasher, He's trying to tell you that a dressed up 292 with the distributor in the back, will fool most of your buddies. they'll THINK it's a small block Chevy. You'll know better.w00t 
If you decide to go with a 351 I would be interested in the 292 or we can work out a deal for my 351.
If I do decide to go with the 351 Windsor, I will be selling the 292 with automatic transmission along with the Thunderbird finned valve covers.
Y Blocks are just plain COOL!

McCulloch is in the Vicky        This motor is for the Chrysler roadster
Have a friend not far from me who bought a beautiful 56 crown with a 351 W an he also has a 57 ford ranchero with a new 312 that will eat the 351s lunch and is now considering building a 312 to go back into the crown. He also has a ton of other old cars sorta like Jay Leno and a garage better than most homes around here. Truth is in my opinion a decked out YBlock is a much nicer looking engine than a 302-351-352-390-428 of which I've owned all of them but the surprise was the power the Ys can make.
By PF Arcand - 12 Years Ago
Thrasher ;Just to ad a bit, granted all of the regulars on this site are prejudiced, but if your Victoria is relatively stock bodied (?) and not some wild custom, it will be worth more with a stock engine block than in some modified form... our mid 50's Fords c/w Y-Blks, are enjoying a renewal of interest recently..
More to add to this, when you can lug up a steep hill in a Y at 20 mph in 4th gear, its amazing! when you step on the pedal and feel the low end torque, Its amazing! when you can smoke the tires through the gears with a coumn mounted shifter, its amazing. When I can get in a 58 and drive it across country with a motor that has who knows how many miles, Its amazing! when you turn the keuy and the thing starts right up in an instant at 20 below, Its amazing!

there are many more amazing points I could list here, but try that in a late model engine and you will be depressed!

just My 2 cents.

By Duck - 12 Years Ago
A question probably best asked over on the HAMB or Fordbarn ...
By drof75 - 12 Years Ago
Go to this site http://www.57fordsforever.com/

You will all the info you need/
By MontyRay2 - 12 Years Ago
Adding fuel to the fire...

First of all, if I had a nice original car with a Y-block, I would not change it. I own a 1957 Fairlane, a '56 Mercury convertible, and a Model A roadster, all with Y-block engines.

So, why would you replace a Y-block with a 302?

If you have no engine (or a bad Y-block) in your car, here are the reasons why you should consider a 302:

(1) Cost. To do a proper rebuild on a stock Y-block, you can spend between $2,000 and $3500. But you can buy a running 302 from mid-80's to 1992 from a Crown Victoria, Thunderbird, Town Car, etc. and have the bonus of an overdrive transmission to go with it. Generally speaking, if needed, you can put rings, bearings, and a timing chain in one of these engines and not spend a lot of money; because most of the engines have very little taper in the cylinder walls.

(2) Oil Leaks (in Y-block). Y-blocks are prone to oil leaks, particularly the rear main seals, whereas the 302 is usually oil-tight.

(3) Overheating. Less of a problem in a 302 than in a Y-block.

(4) Fuel Economy. If you use fuel injection on a 302, fuel economy and driveability are much improved. I drove my 1956 Mercury Monterey hardtop with a 302 HO (from an '87 Mark VII) to the 100th Anniversary of Ford Motor Company in 2003. With the cruise set at 80 and the a/c running full-blast, the car got 24 MPG on a used engine which had 140,000 miles (with EFI).

On the other hand...

I would NOT put a 302 in an original Crown Victoria, Sunliner, etc., because it would devalue the car. But, if you have a sedan or wagon, it doesn't seem to make much difference. However, I WILL put a Y-block in my '56 Chevy!
(1) True, a 302 is cheaper to rebuild. However, you're forgetting the cost to swap and get it all working. Whether that cost is your time or cash dollars, it can get expensive quickly. How expensive depends on your skills and capability. I do suppose that the right person could get it done for less, but most people could not. To keep it apples to apples, when a running Y could be found and installed, the 302 is not cheaper even if the Y still needs rings, bearings, and a timing chain.

(2) Y blocks prone to oil leaks?? Many Y blocks are now 48+ years old. Yes, worn out engines leak. 302s suffer the same fate. When they have been rebuilt and sealed correctly, they don't leak.

(3) Overheating?? I guess this could have the same cause as above, 48+ years old. Renew the cooling system and everything is good. A 302 will not magically unclog a radiator, repair rusted vanes on the pump impeller, or fix a generally poor design of the car in regard to cooling.

(4) This seems to be true in the trucks if and only if it is an 80s or newer roller cammed, fuel injected 302. Anything less and it is down on power and economy. Can't speak for the cars, but I think it's safe to assume that they would follow the same trend. So if you choose your 302 wisely, yes it can be better in the economy department, but most are just a waste of time and money. There is a guy on one of the Ford truck sites who is putting one of the later injected 302s into his truck but converted to a carb. It's not done yet, so I have no economy results.

A good, fresh Y just has torque that you can't get from a small block, at least not without a lot of modification. The only way to understand is to drive one. Sadly, most don't have that option, only the aforementioned worn out 48+ year old engines that, understandably, will be dogs, as any worn out (pic your favorite engine, enter here) will be. Plus, they sound a whole lot better.
By yourcarparts - 12 Years Ago
Just to ad a bit, offered all of the regulars on this web page are prejudiced, but if your Victoria is relatively stock bodied (?) and not some insane personalized, it will be value more with a stock web page avoid than in some personalized kind... our mid Sixties Fords c/w Y-Blks, are suffering from a recovery of interest lately..

Car Mats 

By LordMrFord - 12 Years Ago
Why to worry about car value if you'll never gonna sell it?
My take on that is the 60s y-blocks were somewhat down on power compared with the mid to late 50s. Give alittle more time as the hp parts become more widespread and available, that should change as gearheads start enjoying the extra power these engines produce. Not just 312s but 272s and 292s as well. Hot Rod magzines are talking about the sb chevy and LS series not being as exciting as they once were because there's so many transplants with them that things are slowly changing back to original and other makes now.
By DryLakesRacer - 12 Years Ago
If your going to do that put in a Ch-----et. A buddy a my found a 2-Door 56 Ranch Wagon like that, drove it for 2 years, put on a set of American 5 spokes and sold it for $17K .

With indiffence to putting a Y-Block in anything....My personal preferance is a 302 GMC 6 preferably with a 12 port on it. If it won't fit-we won't quite.....................JD. 

By 4thgen57 - 12 Years Ago
(2) Oil Leaks (in Y-block). Y-blocks are prone to oil leaks, particularly the rear main seals, whereas the 302 is usually oil-tight.

My 57 custom with a 272 Y sat for 20 years. When I first fired it up the rear main dumped 2 qts of oil on the ground. Shut it off, added oil and Ive been driving it for 13 years without leaking a drop!!!!

By grandpas4dr56 - 12 Years Ago
I was born durring Reagan's second term so i got the way before my time on the y blocks but as mentioned before if you know how to work on an engine and read you can work on a y block.
By skygazer - 12 Years Ago
Fun quote:

I Drove my '55 t-bird to the doctors office with my Dad. 292 with milled 113 heads, mild Mummert cam, '57 intake, stock exhaust manifolds, 2" pipes & chambered mufflers. I have to admit that it sounds glorious!

I get out of the car, and a guy comes up to me... "what you got in there, a 428?"

What a riot! Sadly, I didn't have time to give the guy a history lesson.
By ejstith - 12 Years Ago
grandpas4dr56 (10/23/2012)
I was born durring Reagan's second term so i got the way before my time on the y blocks but as mentioned before if you know how to work on an engine and read you can work on a y block.

My son never knew Y-blocks, in fact he's a Chevy kid but he loves my old Y-block Ford & someday it will be his & I'll assure you it will never have anything but a Y-block in it. He has a pro street '56 Chevy & we park side by side at Turkey Run every year & at the local Sonic every month. The kids come to check his out & the old folks saunter up to my old fifty six & relate how they or some family member had one just like it, then I laugh as they commence to tell me all the differences in theirs & mine. Yep, it is unique to have a Y-block, mines a 272 & I wish it was a 292 or 312 but it's not but I still love it. I have a 351 but it's not going in there, now or ever. Exclamation